PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start :(

SXC-84K
30-05-2008, 03:00 AM
anyways i drove home from work parked the car outside went in to get some food b4 i had to go to uni tonight and the car wouldnt start... i opened the door the light came on as usual wen u open the car door anyways i put the key into the ignition and try start the motor the light turns off and nothing happens i try turning on the headlights nothing... so i assume its a dead battery. i drive to uni using my mums car and pick up some jumper cables from paul (honboy) i go home hook it up etc i open the door light is on, i turn on the headlights they work fine subs HU all work. so i disconnect the jumper cables thinking all was good i go to start the motor and i hear a crackling noise (think it came from the battery), sounds like sparks or sumthing and all the lights turn off and stop working and motor wont start. so i try jump starting it again and same thing happens so now i dont got a car to get to work in the morning grrr...

can any1 help me out? is it a fuse problem? electrical problem? do i need a new battery? new alternator?

thanks

hondajazz2005
30-05-2008, 10:08 AM
i had a similar problem a month ago, i stop my car, goto the ATM to withdraw money. when i got back to my car, can't get it to start. but there are lights from inside the car and everything seems fine, can turn on the light and everything.
so i called RACQ, the tech came, use the volt meter to check the battery, get me to start the car when the volt meter is still checking the car.
found out that my car batter has normal voltage when it is idle, once i start my car, the voltage drop straight down to 4 or 5 volts....
so replaced battery... hope this help

Webby_roller
02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey, has changing the battery helped? I have had this problem as well with not only my civic but also my old car. What i found was the problem is loose or dirty connections. The cracking sound is the sparking of the battery terminals to the clamps that hold on to the terminals. Normally i just tighten my clamps and shake them a bit to remove build up and it starts fine again.

beeza
02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
So did U connect the cables then start the car? U should drive around for a while to charge the battery.If you can buy a cheap battery charger from supacheap.Great item! charge the battery and see how that goes.

TRUMAN
02-06-2008, 07:06 PM
do u have an immobiliser in ur car?? it could be faulty and shutting everything down.... or could be faulty wires somewhere and causing no power to come through the ignition.. does it make a click sound each time u turn and no lights appear on ur cluster?

DC4Integra98
02-06-2008, 07:18 PM
check your fuses. A neighbour blew all of my cars fuses (including the ignition found in the engine bay) by connecting the jumpers wrong costing me a fair bit...

thepope1986
02-06-2008, 08:50 PM
i wonder if the starter is internally short circuiting?

bennjamin
02-06-2008, 09:19 PM
if it wont restart...its mostly likely the MAIN RELAY. Located under the drivers side of dash.

It controls the fuel and spark , and when old and heated up the contacts can fail

vinnY
03-06-2008, 01:01 PM
^ would you have to change the relay or is there a quick repair?

SXC-84K
03-06-2008, 02:10 PM
oh opps LOLZ this was fixed the next day, my dad just said my amp cables or sumthing were loose and he just tightened it to the battery now it all works fine ^^