PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers and Adj Springs???

wolf
14-09-2004, 04:53 PM
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot!

Now im not 100% sure with anything when it comes to suspension so when you read what im asking dont laugh too loud.

I dont know what the difference is between coilovers and adj springs and all that stuff thats involved with suspension and im looking at buying a 2nd hand pair of Apexi EG Civic Adj Shocks / Lowered Springs and i was wondering for starters if paying $990 id be getting ripped off and second of all if there n e good or not

Kit
14-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Hi Wolf,
well first off, there aren't anything such as adjustable springs.

the difference between coilovers and adjustable shocks with springs is the following:

- coilovers are adjustable for height, and usually are damper adjustable too.

- springs with shocks aren't adjustable for height, damper may be adjustable depending on what shocks you have.

generally speaking, coilovers are way more expensive. And ultimately they are better..

the height adjustment factor of coilvers aren't really designed so that people can adjust the ride height as they like, but they are more for tuning the suspension setup of the car, i.e. by adjusting the height of the suspension they can tune the weight distribution of the car.

do you have any more information about the springs and shocks you want to buy?

SiR JDM
14-09-2004, 06:28 PM
wolf?
Is this the set from Option 1 Garage?
http://www.option1garage.com.au/images/susp013.jpg?

EG5
14-09-2004, 06:48 PM
that apexi : adj platform and damper.
i got it b4 on my jdm EF7
you can adjust the height as well.
the price is quite expensive for $990
try to bargain it down abit , tell them u got cash
what car do u drive anyway ? if u drive EG civic oz spec you need type R rear lower control arm or jdm eg2/eg6/eg9 rear lower control arm.

SPEEDCORE
14-09-2004, 08:22 PM
I thought you only need the arms if you where trying to fit DC2R suspension to the EG.........

EG5
14-09-2004, 10:59 PM
yes you only need to replace rear lower control arm only.

Civic Si
14-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Some shocks offer perch adjustment so u can adjust them for the lowered height springs that u have.

Coilovers aren't always the best solution as they can dramatically change the ride comfort compared to springs and shocks, which some springs offering lowering without sacrificing too much ride comfort. :D

Coilovers in some cases have better handling especially on the race track where they are used to their best potential. :thumbsup:

steve_civic
15-09-2004, 11:31 AM
coil overs are good but re designed for a smooth race. They will be completely useless on OZ roads...better off getting a set of valved shocks which match the springs rate for a smoother cruise. Unless ur a track slut

/ coilovers = racetracks

PhatSol
15-09-2004, 05:22 PM
coil overs are good but re designed for a smooth race. They will be completely useless on OZ roads...better off getting a set of valved shocks which match the springs rate for a smoother cruise. Unless ur a track slut

/ coilovers = racetracks

That is not true at all. Coilovers can be fitted with whatever spring rates you want, and so can be made to work on the road better than a spring/shock combo. Brands like Koni make coilovers that are factory fitted with spring rates suitable for Australian roads.

wolf
15-09-2004, 09:14 PM
ok... brains num now, umm 1st ride comfort is not an issue i have 17' mags so i have absolutly no comfort while driving basically would second hand coilovers be a bad idea? and also what would be a fair price keep in mind i dont want to spend 2000+++ on those super awsome ones realistically i really dont want to spend over 1g what are my options there?

saboteur
15-09-2004, 09:18 PM
I doubt you'll find anything decent for $1,000 and if you go for second hand dampers you never know how much life they have left in them. If I were you I'd get some new decent dampers and maybe some King springs or something, rather than going for a 'cheap' coilover setup.

PhatSol
15-09-2004, 09:30 PM
I doubt you'll find anything decent for $1,000 and if you go for second hand dampers you never know how much life they have left in them. If I were you I'd get some new decent dampers and maybe some King springs or something, rather than going for a 'cheap' coilover setup.

^ exactly right.