PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Cusco Oil catch can

Frankie
30-05-2008, 11:08 AM
i was wondering if anyone has installed a cusco or even a universal oil catch can into there Ek1 2000 model...... d16y4 i got pod filter in the way....

EKVTIR-T
30-05-2008, 12:10 PM
You can mount them on the firewall.
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i21/2104_4mg.jpg

Frankie
30-05-2008, 12:14 PM
is ur oil catch can rectangle.......
was wondering it u or anyone has step by step on how to install it

[ricer]
30-05-2008, 12:16 PM
^ is that an AVO kit? looks pretty neat

i mounted my old catch can next to the battery... dont see why your pod filter will be in the way unless ur hooking your catch can all wrong..

Frankie
30-05-2008, 12:22 PM
;1722334']^ is that an AVO kit? looks pretty neat

i mounted my old catch can next to the battery... dont see why your pod filter will be in the way unless ur hooking your catch can all wrong..

nah the pod isnt int he way btu iam ust letting people know that it is in the way if they were going to sugegst to install ti around the pod area if u kno what i mean

itr_112
30-05-2008, 06:39 PM
You can mount them on the firewall.
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i21/2104_4mg.jpg

Isnt this catch can hooked up wrong?

EKVTIR-T
30-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Why you think that lol?

[ricer]
30-05-2008, 09:29 PM

yeah it is actually
looks like its just hooked to the breather

need to hook it to the one from the manifold to block

block the manifold one off and run the hose from the block to a can with a breather... ur manifold has boost pressure in it now rather then only vacuum

bennjamin
30-05-2008, 09:38 PM
yup you are right

Correct location for a "Catch can" is from this

(back of block) PCV ===========(rubber pipe)========intake manifold

to this

(back of block) PCV ===========oil catch can========intake manifold

It is there to "filter" the oil blowby back into the intake manifold. There shouldnt be too much.

Frankie
31-05-2008, 09:50 AM
lucky i started this thread if not that catch can would of been installs incorrect for a long time lol

beeza
31-05-2008, 10:58 AM
My car is a 96 EK1 Civic d16y4.I have the Cusco catch can also.I drilled 2 holes in the firewall then mounted the Catch can.Bought some hose.It runs from yellow to yellow and green to green.Where the hose goes through the Intake Manifold it connects onto the PCV valve.
The stock set up has the hose connected from the PCV to the IM,so you have to get ya hand down under the IM and puul the old hose off and connect the new hose,then run that to the Catch can.The other hose from the Catch can to the IM:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/CatchCan.jpg

We gots da same engine me and U Frankie! give me a PM anytime,about anything :thumbsup:

Frankie
31-05-2008, 11:01 AM
My car is a 96 EK1 Civic d16y4.I have the Cusco catch can also.I drilled 2 holes in the firewall then mounted the Catch can.Bought some hose.It runs from yellow to yellow and green to green.Where the hose goes through the Intake Manifold it connects onto the PCV valve.
The stock set up has the hose connected from the PCV to the IM,so you have to get ya hand down under the IM and puul the old hose off and connect the new hose,then run that to the Catch can.The other hose from the Catch can to the IM:

We gots da same engine me and U Frankie! give me a PM anytime,about anything :thumbsup:

thanks for the info beeza..... i am going to be installing one very soon.... does the catch can work good or cant ya tell the different

beeza
31-05-2008, 11:20 AM
It does keep your IM cleaner.Normal street use it's only minimal but I would rather catch that crap in the catch can and keep my IM clean.I know if you track the car it catches a fair bit.I did take it out at one point cause I thought it wasn't worth having it in but I cleaned my IM and saw the oil in there and was like a clean IM is good :)

Chi
31-05-2008, 11:44 AM

Nope, that one is fine because he has more than 2 hose connections compared to the normal 2 per can.

On a standard car the PCV is connected to the IM to prevent blow by gases from being released into the atmosphere.

You usually put a catch can in between this to collect the oil / gases from being sucked back into the engine.

Also by hooking it to the rocker cover it will help release pressure and possible collect more gas as well.

But if you have the standard cusco catch can with 2 hose connections you want to set it up like this.

PCV ====> CATCH CAN ====> IM.

B18C's there is a stock Black box which acts similar to a catch can, usually you would remove this out

Not too sure about other engines.

beeza
31-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Would U replace the black box with a catch can or what would U do once you have removed the black box Chi?

Chi
31-05-2008, 12:13 PM
You replace it with the catch can.

beeza
31-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Cheers mate.

DNYALL
31-05-2008, 04:19 PM

Might be a dumb question but how did u go about drilling the firewall. did u take your dash off to check if there was anything behind where you drilled and to get the bolts in. or did u just use self tapping screws and screw into the firewall.

I need to re-mount my oil catch can (used to be mounted to the battery tray but now my battery is in the boot so want to get rid of the tray as well) but can't be bothered taking my dash off to look behind the firewall. and am too worried to just screw into it, incase i hit a wire or something...

beeza
31-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I just drilled away! haha never even thought about it until now :)
I used screws.What do other people say about drilling into the firewall? Ya got me thinking maybe that's why my stereo decides to cut out from time to time.I don't know though.
What are the advantages of putting the battery in the boot? I know a lot of people do it.

Frankie
01-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I just drilled away! haha never even thought about it until now :)
I used screws.What do other people say about drilling into the firewall? Ya got me thinking maybe that's why my stereo decides to cut out from time to time.I don't know though.
What are the advantages of putting the battery in the boot? I know a lot of people do it.

i say the reason the reason is so that they can have more room in the engine bay to add things like the catch can

beeza
01-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah and weight distribution.Just wondering if there's any other advantages.I thought about it and I've drilled about 10 holes in the firewall.I doubt that my stereo problem is because of this though.

Frankie
02-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah and weight distribution.Just wondering if there's any other advantages.I thought about it and I've drilled about 10 holes in the firewall.I doubt that my stereo problem is because of this though.

maybe it is the wiring at the back of the deck isnt in tight enough or the deck is rubbish what brand ya got

beeza
02-06-2008, 10:21 AM
JVC:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF1496-1.jpg

That could well be it,dodgy/loose wiring at the back.I have taken it in and out a bit :)

Frankie
02-06-2008, 10:27 AM
JVC:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF1496-1.jpg

That could well be it,dodgy/loose wiring at the back.I have taken it in and out a bit :)

JVC man not very good brand there very poor quality lol my mate has one in his mums car and its sh*t.... i advise you get a pionner it will fix the problem...

beeza
02-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah I'll keep it in mind.It's going good atm :)