PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket wheel on Euro

coladuna
14-09-2004, 06:43 PM
I can see that some of you have changed to aftermarket wheels on Accord Euro. I asked the salesman and he told me that people can freely do whatever they want but it'll void warranty on anything that may be affected by changing to a bigger diameter tyres. For instance, warranty will be voided on everything from brakes, hub, wheel bearing etc...

Did you guys change it to aftermarket wheels knowing this and took the risk?
I was seriously considering changing to aftermarket wheel, but if it voids warranty in anyway I don't want to. Also, how much rebate can I expect from tyre/wheel shops on a brand new set of tyres and wheels?

PERTH_EURO
14-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Yes i knew that it would void warranty on anything remotely to do with the wheels. (ie could still claim paint issues). Yes it is a risk, but I think its small.. touch wood.

Same with my lowered springs.

Brand new set or rims and tyres is worth bugger all as a trade. Keep them so when you take ur car in for a service u can put em on and have no warranty issues :)

Personally for me the biggest issue with getting rims was insurance. Not the insurance of the wheels themselves, but technicall legalities on width of rim in the event of an accident..... "sorry we arent paying up your rims are to wide".
Insurance companies will do EVERYTHING they can to get out of a payment!

coladuna
14-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Hmm.. that sucks...
I guess I'll just stick to stock wheels and enjoy the car as it is.
Maybe do something to it after the warranty expires.
Can't wait for my car to be delivered. :wave:

yfin
14-09-2004, 07:24 PM
I can see that some of you have changed to aftermarket wheels on Accord Euro. I asked the salesman and he told me that people can freely do whatever they want but it'll void warranty on anything that may be affected by changing to a bigger diameter tyres. For instance, warranty will be voided on everything from brakes, hub, wheel bearing etc...

Did you guys change it to aftermarket wheels knowing this and took the risk?
I was seriously considering changing to aftermarket wheel, but if it voids warranty in anyway I don't want to. Also, how much rebate can I expect from tyre/wheel shops on a brand new set of tyres and wheels?

I have 17" aftermarket wheels. What you say is interesting - and my dealer said the opposite. He said stick to the same overall diameter and make sure there is correct load rating on tyres, etc (ie make sure the size and tyres are legal for the car) and I will be fine .

The Euro is sold with 17" in both Japan and the USA so it would be hard for Honda to say I have impacted brakes, hubs, wheel bearings by fitting 17" rims. If anything - I have extended the life of these components as my rims are lighter and place less load on these components. I would want fairly significant detail regarding causation (ie that my aftermarket rims caused the issue) before accepting the matter was not covered by warranty. The Trade Practices Act is king on these issues and Honda can't just say as a blanket rule it is not covered by warranty.....

baboo
14-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Some dealers are putting aftermarket wheels on their demo cars. I don't think it would matter unless you put something like 20" wheels on a little civic.

17" 18" on a Euro is quite acceptable in my opinion.

Pum[Z]
14-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Well My accord Euro is 6 months old and when i bought the car i added an extra 3 years which makes my warranty a 6 year thing. But that hasn't detracted me from buying 19inch alloys and lowering the car. I took the risk knowing that if anything happens it won't be under warranty.

But after i had my car 2 months i burnt my clutch pretty bad. I sent it back to honda and they said i had to change the clutch plate on it. They said it might not be a warranty job because they say i was racing the car and that racing voids the warranty. But guess what, in the end it was under warranty and they changed the whole clutch plate, oil and labour.

So the lesson is yes sometimes u can get away with things when it comes to warranty issues. U just have to be a good arguer and have a bit of good luck... Depends on which Honda Dealer it is and sometimes they are pretty lenient..... But then nowdays u see standard cars with 18-19inch alloys standard from the factory....

yfin
14-09-2004, 08:06 PM
What did you do to burn the clutch and how did you know there was a problem?

By the way - are 19" rims legal on the Euro for road worthy and insurance? I thought you can only go up +2" from stock.

Pum[Z]
14-09-2004, 08:42 PM

By the way - are 19" rims legal on the Euro for road worthy and insurance? I thought you can only go up +2" from stock.

Long complicated story on how i burnt the clutch.. It had to do with 4 ppl in the car, the road was wet, and my VSA was turned off. I was kinda not normal that night in the end i burnt my clutch. Boy it smelt so bad for a week. Smells like burnt plastics....

Well the smell was how i knew i had burnt my clutch. When i changed gears it felt like it was not going into gear. It felt it didn't latch on properly.

For insurance reasons. I am insured but i haven't told them i have new alloys. That is something i must remind myself to call SGIO and tell them about :p

coladuna
14-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Some dealers are putting aftermarket wheels on their demo cars. I don't think it would matter unless you put something like 20" wheels on a little civic.

17" 18" on a Euro is quite acceptable in my opinion.

What the salesman said is that some dealers do that. Some also offer leather seat as a dealer option. However, they don't do it because they are not allowed to have brand new cars going off their showroom with aftermarket wheels. Also, Honda Australia will refuse to fix anything related if you change to aftermarket parts.

Even though WE think it's acceptable to put on 17" or 18", they will definitely refuse to accept faults when something goes wrong.

I was also told that dealers who offer leather seats as a dealer option are bad apples. Having dealer fitted leather seat will mean that side airbags will not deploy in an accident. Some dealers still do it though.

PERTH_EURO
14-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Your insurance company may say, "yes we will ensure you as long as your car is legal"

if your rims arent legal, and you cant get a permit for them. (as far as ins. company is concered if you can get a permit its legal) I have been there tried that. The rules quite clearly state you cant go more than +2, and unless fitted from factory cant be wider than 7.5".

basically in the event of an accident, if your insurance company whants to be difficult, you wont get ur cash, as your car was illegal.

believe me ive been there with my last car, just cause it had kings springs they wouldnt pay out. (lm not insured with them now)

Type R Positive
15-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Your insurance company may say, "yes we will ensure you as long as your car is legal"

if your rims arent legal, and you cant get a permit for them. (as far as ins. company is concered if you can get a permit its legal) I have been there tried that. The rules quite clearly state you cant go more than +2, and unless fitted from factory cant be wider than 7.5".

basically in the event of an accident, if your insurance company whants to be difficult, you wont get ur cash, as your car was illegal.

believe me ive been there with my last car, just cause it had kings springs they wouldnt pay out. (lm not insured with them now)

I hope you broke some shit man, that must have sucked. Which insurer? I am through leaseplan and they said i can do what ever I want as long as it doesn't affect warranty. If I fit 17's or 18's and say the shock mount stuffs up, they still have to fix. They can not negate blame. It is different if you fit a turbo then try to claim a burnt out piston on warranty though. It pays to be legal, something I must do more research on. I would hate to get caught out.

toE
15-09-2004, 12:42 AM

To my understanding, +2" (in general) is legal. Check VicRoads Yoram.

But as far as insurance goes, it is my understanding that JCI (Just Cars Insurance) will insure you...for a price ;)

Don't know about the other insurance companies. But most companies will not insure any car with modifications, where the modifications are outlined as not legal by VicRoads. :)

PERTH_EURO
16-09-2004, 10:18 PM
No Insurance company will insure anything illegal.. FULLSTOP.
+2 is legal, but also check your local rules re width of rim.

I can not stress enough that Insurance companies will try and get out of paying up... if you have illegal rims, you risk not getting payed out

"If I fit 17's or 18's and say the shock mount stuffs up, they still have to fix."
Hmm not neccasarily.

At the end of the day, and from personal experiance, check every little detail with warranty and insurance. At least know where u stand.

Hahaha after saying al this im running illegal rims, but that is the risk i take

coladuna
16-09-2004, 11:25 PM
As much as I'd like to improve the appearance of my car, why would you spend your hard earned money to make your car illegal?
That's like throwing your money down the drain IMO.

euro77
17-09-2004, 06:52 PM
The problem is illegal is usually better looking and better going than legal :D

PERTH_EURO
17-09-2004, 07:53 PM
hahah you got it!!

Pum[Z]
17-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Bingo... Agree to what euro77 says...

But ur car depreciates anywayz so the value is going down the drain as well... Might as well make it look real nice while its value goes down...

coladuna
17-09-2004, 11:09 PM
I reckon you can still make your car look nice without doing anything illegal to it. I never understood people who have trouble seeing at night with their illegal tint, for example. How silly is that? Darkest legal tint is good enough. Same with wheels. Going up 2" from stock 16" will be 18", which I think is big enough to look nice.

coladuna
17-09-2004, 11:11 PM
']
But ur car depreciates anywayz so the value is going down the drain as well... Might as well make it look real nice while its value goes down...

Uh... doesn't that make it even less apealing to spend money on illegal stuff for the car?

PERTH_EURO
21-09-2004, 01:41 AM
as I said before, and this only applies in wa, its not the plus 2 thats the issue, its the maximum width. I think the max width is 7.5". And even tho there is more rims coming on the market in this size, you wont see to many 18*7.5 rims.

Type R Positive
21-09-2004, 01:46 AM
Most rims come in 18" x 7.5".

Pum[Z]
27-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Well i fall into the two categories of "ilegality"

1) I have 19inch Alloys
2) I have really dark tint...

Its all about individuality and making the car look nicer then what it say standard. Yes 18 inch alloys fit nicely as well onto the euro but remember the guards of the Euro is quite big and having standard 16inch alloys inside the guard makes the standard alloys so so puny....

Having real dark tint is so much better when u have a black car. First of all its freakn hot in a black car so having real dark tint is a godsent for me when summer hits... Also having Dark black tint on a black car makes its look even better. The only time it bugs me having dark tint is parking during night time. But then i have reverse sensors and i just wind down my window if i have to park at night time....

If u want to stand out then u have to push the envelope of what is the norm...

Type R Positive
27-09-2004, 03:31 AM
I might get Zenetti Tek's from www.tempetyres.com.au
$2100.00 for 18" chromies with Falken zeix 512 225x40x18 rubber.
Free freight to my door!

Check em out for great deals (mostly bling bling). :cool:

I would go 19's but they would cause hastles with the cost of replacing and availability of tyres.

yfin
10-10-2004, 09:24 PM
I might get Zenetti Tek's from www.tempetyres.com.au
$2100.00 for 18" chromies with Falken zeix 512 225x40x18 rubber.
Free freight to my door!

Check em out for great deals (mostly bling bling). :cool:

I would go 19's but they would cause hastles with the cost of replacing and availability of tyres.

Are you sure you want chrome? It is very 1992 HSV Holden Commodore.. :D Don't chrome wheels also weigh a lot more!?

By the way - I have Falken 512s. They are pretty good value for what they are (silica and made in Japan). They do a great job in the dry but I think the side wall is a little soft as body roll "feels" slightly higher (bum on seat feel). Tyre noise is minimal.

In the wet they are average - nothing special. Tread wear seems excellent though - and the extra wide rim protector does a great job of protecting the rims.

Reagan
10-10-2004, 09:36 PM
so 18inchs are legal for euros? what about tyre size?

I really wanted 19 =/

yfin
10-10-2004, 09:54 PM
so 18inchs are legal for euros? what about tyre size?

I really wanted 19 =/

As far as I am aware there is absolutely no problem with 18 inch. I would recommend 7.5 inch wide and an offset at or above +42 (+48 or +50 would be better though).

In terms of tyre size - ask the tyre shop. Most reputable places will ensure you keep the same overall circumference. One thing to look out for is the load rating of the tyre - it must be 91 or above for a Euro.

One tyre shop tried to sell me tyres that had a maximum of 88 load rating - I later found out this would render my car unroadworthy (ie illegal) and could void my insurance if there was an accident.

Reagan
10-10-2004, 11:15 PM
to be honest hm
what is this +42 thing? and stuff
and 7.5inch wide?
i thought they come in one size! >_<

Type R Positive
11-10-2004, 11:10 AM
+42 is the offset number. The wheel's offset is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. +42 means that it is 42mm outwards from this centerline. Deep dish rims are usually a negitive offset. Talk to a good mag shop such as Tempe tyres or ozzy tyres, these places are great and cheap too. They will help you out.