PDA

View Full Version : New radiator or weld the old one back?

jcz
31-05-2008, 01:33 AM
I just realised a problem in my car. There is some splash back from the coolant and i noticed that the attached foam or sponge-like material next to the radiator is sort of oozing coolant. I am guessing that the radiato's time is up and it has cracked either due to wear and tear or excessive pressure.

So my question is ... should i weld the old one back together or buy a new radiator and get that fitted. A friend of mine suggested welding but the costs involved are not too far from a brand new one.

I was just wondering if anyone replaced theirs before and if so how much did it cost you. Did you get it welded or replaced it with a new one? I'm located in melb so would also like some recommendations as to where to get it done for the best price. Thanks :)

CONAN
31-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Hi,

I managed to crack my radiator on one of my previous cars (Civic EK4).

After seeking advice I had the following options
1/ Weld it back together - There was a place in Smithfield that quoted me, I can't remember the price though. But the price was quite significant and if I can remember correct was similar to a new 'aftermarket' item.

2/ Purchase it new - I wasn't going to buy directly from Honda. I got quoted from numerous radiator manufacturers and again places in Smithfield managed to give me good prices, some below option 1.

3/ Source a second hand one - I chose this path because I managed to find a wrecker with a half cut that was willing to part with the radiator for 1/4 of the price. I got them to remove it from the half cut and I inspected it and it was in top condition.

So my recommendation would be to source a good condition 2nd hand unit, else if you got the money go the new 'aftermarket' item.

I just checked again and your in Melb - if you want prices from my Smithfield guys I will kindly try and assist just let me know

ludecrs
31-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Ask Jon, since he now has a Koyo or Moshimoto installed, he may wish to part with his oem one.

NVD52K
31-05-2008, 09:36 AM
i bought the koyo of fly lol

ludecrs
31-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Bastard! lol
I want one, but not just yet.

jcz
31-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I just called the Honda dealers and they quoted me $960 for a brand new one ... without installation. Day light robbery right there!!

Thx CONAN for the advice. I think i will have to go through that option too.

NCD52K how much did you buy the koyo one for and if you are willing to part with your oem one, how much do you want for it??

If i can't source one soon its going to complicate alot of things. Thx Ludecrs, would you know where i would be able to get an aftermarket one from??

94vtirozguy
31-05-2008, 12:28 PM
for the price of repairing you can almost get a new one. Also from some manufacturers they have lifetime warranty for their new radiators.

.::F[L]Y::.
31-05-2008, 12:36 PM
i currently have a mishimoto radiator in my car. works fine. Id recommend it.

AusS2000
31-05-2008, 02:30 PM
The OEM radiator has plastic end tanks. I expect your leak is at the seal. It's just crimped together. A radiator shop may be able to repair it quite cheap.

Failing that go aftermarket. Koyos are good (where'd you get yours from John) but there are a couple of chinese brands for sale on ebay. You could check them out.

AusS2000
31-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Also, if anyone has a spare fan shroud (goes on back of radiator and holds fans) I'm interested. Had to cut mine when I installed the SC.

ludecrs
31-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Did you run a vortech or a Comptech Aus?

31-05-2008, 03:50 PM
best place for a decent deal on a KOYO would be to hit up one of the traders on s2ki

perhaps you guys could do a GB to get a better overall price and save on shipping

AusS2000
31-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Mine was a Comptech.

NVD52K
31-05-2008, 05:00 PM
I just called the Honda dealers and they quoted me $960 for a brand new one ... without installation. Day light robbery right there!!

Thx CONAN for the advice. I think i will have to go through that option too.

NCD52K how much did you buy the koyo one for and if you are willing to part with your oem one, how much do you want for it??

If i can't source one soon its going to complicate alot of things. Thx Ludecrs, would you know where i would be able to get an aftermarket one from??

i bought mine of fly for $600 but to be honest man mine is starting to get abit fatigued and cracking abit next to the radiator cap and i wouldnt wanna sell you it just because id feel bad if it stuffed up on you

31-05-2008, 06:13 PM
yea same deal with my oem one.

started to show fatigue cracks on the top tank. so i wouldnt sell it either. thats why i replaced mine

vtek
31-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Just replace the top tank... thats probly the best option but get your cooling system pressure tested first.

jcz
01-06-2008, 12:44 PM
thx guys for all the input. i'll have to wait till this monday to get it checked out at a radiator place to pin point the exact problem.

since the oem one has plastic top tanks wouldn't it be better to replace it with an aftermarket full alloy one? considering the cost is going to be roughly the same. the other option would be to just repair it for now as Aus suggested. is there anything else to look out for with the s2ks considering that this was unexpected to me. thx again ...

ludecrs
01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Also, if anyone has a spare fan shroud (goes on back of radiator and holds fans) I'm interested. Had to cut mine when I installed the SC.

Swap ya? Each pay postage costs?

jcz
02-06-2008, 04:39 PM
ok guys ... just got back from the mechs. they are speculating that the radiator top tank has split or has a hair-line crack which can be easily fixed. they are also saying that this may not be all as there was a noticeable leak coming from the right hand corner dripping constantly overflowing the drip tray. their advice was to leave it with them and the rough costs would be 300 - 500 to take the radiator out and fixed. if a new one is needed, that would be additional costs. what do you guys think? should i just go for an aftermarket one and get it installed? or stick with an oem one?? i think the mechs are dodgy with the quote as someone has offered to fix it for me with a second hand radiator for 330 all up include flush and fill :)

ludecrs
02-06-2008, 07:42 PM
I checked today for ya, a new one would be ~$550.

jcz
03-06-2008, 12:34 AM
thx ludecrs ... someone on ozhonda pmed me in regards to the radiator. he found a second hand one and helped me put it in :) all up $330 which i find is pretty reasonable. so now ... just gotta wait and see if the other one keeps up. otherwise ... koyo it is. haha ...

i'm gonna get the old radiator checked out to see what was wrong with it, for future reference. :) but thx alot guys for all the pointers and help, was clueless in regards to the top tank splitting.