PDA

View Full Version : Civic designs hard to understand

Kangaaz
31-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Having justa taken delivery of the new FD1 civic, I must say it drives very smoothly. There are however a few things about the civic that I thought are puzzling.

First of all, the orange engine oil dipstick. Its so hard to see where the actual oil marks are. First being platic and bendy, and secondly it is coloured bright orange. Why couldn't they just use a metal dipstick like in most cars?

Secondly, the windscreen washer reservoir, again the measuring tape/stick is in plastic, really hard to tell how much water you need to put in.

Thirdly, the coolant reservior, again in a tight corner where the markings on it are hard to see.

I know all these are not major 'design flaws' and none should represent a problem when the car is new, but no idea why Honda designed the layout under the bonnet this way.

dmx
31-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Having justa taken delivery of the new FD1 civic, I must say it drives very smoothly. There are however a few things about the civic that I thought are puzzling.

First of all, the orange engine oil dipstick. Its so hard to see where the actual oil marks are. First being platic and bendy, and secondly it is coloured bright orange. Why couldn't they just use a metal dipstick like in most cars?

Secondly, the windscreen washer reservoir, again the measuring tape/stick is in plastic, really hard to tell how much water you need to put in.

Thirdly, the coolant reservior, again in a tight corner where the markings on it are hard to see.

I know all these are not major 'design flaws' and none should represent a problem when the car is new, but no idea why Honda designed the layout under the bonnet this way.
plastic = cheap
civic = cheap
match !:thumbsup:

layout under bonnet is so tight to accomodate (more) roomy interior compare previous model. don't you see how large civic FD dash now (under windscreen).

Kangaaz
31-05-2008, 10:03 PM
true, but how much more would a piece of metal dipstick cost rather than plastic, surely that wouldnt make a noticeable diff on their profit margin.

ekhybrid
31-05-2008, 10:48 PM
wtf
my god ozh these days...

bennjamin
31-05-2008, 10:51 PM
erm....since water and clean oil are both basically transparent there is one way to see what level exists on the dip stick.

Hold the dip stick up , and slowly rotate it until it catches light from the sun etc. You will then see the exact level reflrected.

aaronng
01-06-2008, 12:09 AM
true, but how much more would a piece of metal dipstick cost rather than plastic, surely that wouldnt make a noticeable diff on their profit margin.
The reason for the plastic dipstick is because it can fit into the tight and winding oil gallery and into the sump. Try putting a metal dipstick through a windy gallery. Even the 3.0L Subarus use a plastic dipstick, because the metal one wouldn't be flexible enough to get into the sump.

buddah51au
15-06-2008, 09:07 PM
orange dip stick does not present a problem, windscreen washer resevoir....just fill to top, if you have a problem checking the level in the coolant resevoir, just lift it out to check.....childs play

OMG.JAI xD
15-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Global warming concerns man.
Those things are made out of 100% recycled coke bottles.
Respect the plastic yo.

=]

JaCe
16-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I found another area where cost cutting has kicked in. On the right hand side under the a/c vent on 07/08 models, there's a tray where you can put coins in and stuff. In previous models (e.g. my MY06) this was a toggle button bay for interior lighting, VSA-off (in Asian markets), etc..

civic_07
16-06-2008, 11:03 PM
^^^ lol. i've been wondering ever since i got the car what that area is for, can't seem to locate it in the manual :D

btw, just want to make it clear that above this area, you still have rooms to install the switches for interior lighting set, i got this for mine, next to it is 2 left for VSA and whatever, i guess!

shadou
16-06-2008, 11:09 PM
.. I don't mind the civic engine bay design, I agree at first the dipstick was a bit tricky but it's easy use the grooves and a nice overhead light.

FallenAngel
18-06-2008, 01:41 PM

You do gotta realise that even $0.01 can make a significant difference in profit. Reason because of mass production.

Consider this, Honda produces (for example) 1 million civics a year, thats automatically 10k up in profit.

Dunno actual figures but u get the point

panda[cRx]
19-06-2008, 11:10 AM
i agree with aarron, i doubt the plastic dipstick has anything to do with cost cutting.

as for the washer fluid reservoir just fill it to the top

mmciau
22-10-2008, 10:05 AM
What markings/graduations/indications on the orange dipstick for the 2008 Honda Civic constitute the LOW and HIGH level mark for the oil please?

Regards

Mike McInerney

SaiHayashi
22-10-2008, 09:45 PM
... are u expecting to see 9k gold instead?

mmciau
23-10-2008, 05:55 AM
I asked what constitutes 'high' and 'low' level indications on the dipstick!

Is it within the 'chequered' section and if so does it represent a quantity of 500cc?

(The matter is not addressed in the Owner's Handbook as far as I can see!!

Mike

aaronng
23-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I asked what constitutes 'high' and 'low' level indications on the dipstick!

Is it within the 'chequered' section and if so does it represent a quantity of 500cc?

(The matter is not addressed in the Owner's Handbook as far as I can see!!

Mike
The bottom of the chequered section is low, and the top of the section is high. Not sure if it defines 500cc as I don't have an R18A. On my K24A, it indicates 800-1000cc between min and max.