PDA

View Full Version : Disaster on honda cruise today!!

croatiaboi
01-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey guys firstly i loved the cruise.. woulda been awsome if i had made it all the way to sunny caost.

but on a bad note... im sure alot of u guys probly saw on the way back just after the second meet at northside my red ek on the side of the road with the bonnet up. ohh man what a suckey day it turned out to be for me.

basicaly my engine warning light turned on and the car started idling realy realy rough( like up ad down constantly realy fast)... i still dunno what it could possibly be. i sat there for the best part of an hour letting the engine cool down and then tryed going again.. this was fine for about 2 minutes then the exact same thing happened.. nothing stoped again n tryed to let it cool down, but that didnt help again so in the end i had to slowley put put home.

any suggestions on what it could be?

ek4-guy
01-06-2008, 05:20 PM
damn that sucks to hear man hope it's nothing major

CRXer
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
All the info u will ever need click here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67113)

teh_mechanic
01-06-2008, 08:14 PM
will check it all out tomorrow,hopefully its just a small sensor freaking out

croatiaboi
01-06-2008, 08:18 PM
eah bro i hope so aswell ay :D

Sexc86
01-06-2008, 08:40 PM
you poor bastard i remember driving past actually.

Rivic
01-06-2008, 09:22 PM
no good mate :( my uncle had an 01 accord with exact same problem isn't anyhing major from memory

croatiaboi
02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
ok well yea just came back from brendans workshop with no luck... the connected the ecu reader thing and found no faults at all... soo hmm realy puzzled.

any suggestion guys? anyone had this happen to them? im thinking it could be the dizzy but not sure.. or even the alternator

could the alternator cause the car to rev up and down realy fast and turn the engine light on?

sir_egg
02-06-2008, 08:37 PM
if i was u il look in2 the dizzy.. and then check maybe idle pulley n timing belt =S gl hope you fixed the problem

croatiaboi
02-06-2008, 09:45 PM
yeah im thinking it might be the dizzy not realy sure though.. gona check the alternator on wednesday so ill know for sure if that is stuffed or not then, and go from there i guess

teh_mechanic
02-06-2008, 09:51 PM
it wont be timing belt.this is an intermittent problem.most of the time the car runs fine,but then every now and then it freaks out.idle pulley,wtf

engine light was on,but no codes stored in the ecu (makes it so much funner to work out wats wrong lol). cleaned out the sensors around the throttle body and the throttle body itself tonight,will see how it goes.

im leaning towards a dizzy problem,but this afternoon tom said his lights were dimming just before he was parking his car,this points to a charge (alternator) problem,dont know if its related to his engine light and poor running/idle,seems strange.usually a dizzy problem will highlight itself in the upper revs,but toms problem gives him a shit idle and the car seems to go into a 'limp mode' kind of thing from what he has told me.

any ideas ppl?

trism
02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
if lights a dimming then its a charge/alt/battery problem

maybe having shitty voltage is playing with the ecu/sensors?

redinteg
03-06-2008, 01:17 PM
check the plug into the back of the FICV hasnt fallen off...happend to me once (that FICV was stuffed anyway) very erratic idle and very jerky when taking off , driving at slow speed ect.

beeza
03-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Sounds like the cold air control valve on the Throttle body.I had an 'erratic idle' in my d16y4,changed that and it was fixed.

Benson
03-06-2008, 03:19 PM
How was the water temps? try another ECU?>

croatiaboi
03-06-2008, 05:07 PM
we tested the ecu with that reader thing and it didnt throw any codes at all, i dunno what other way i could check the air control valve on the throttle body?

the water temps were all normal when we were testing it but then again the car isnt constantly spastic.. forgot to mention aswell that it also happened friday night but for only about 5 minutes then went back to normal.

i havent tryed another ecu lol its not everyday u got a spare 1 lying around

teh_mechanic
03-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Sounds like the cold air control valve on the Throttle body.I had an 'erratic idle' in my d16y4,changed that and it was fixed.

nope,its not an erratic idle like is quite common with hondas when the idle valves get dirty.its spastic idle,followed by engine light coming on,then the car goes into a sort of 'limp mode' and runs crap- ive never been in the car but this is from what tom tells me

CRXer
03-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Maybe an ICM in its last stages of life,they always have trouble triggering a usable fault code

Benson
03-06-2008, 10:27 PM
umm hit barefootbonzai a PM.. use an ITR ecu if need be..

teh_mechanic
03-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Maybe an ICM in its last stages of life,they always have trouble triggering a usable fault code

could be,when my ICM was dying the idle was fine and it started misfiring in high rpm,but i suppose it could be different with every situation.i wish it had a fault code,i thought when engine check light comes on it will always store some code.but no,checked fault codes and it says there are none.

and yeh tom barefoot prob has an ecu you mite b able to borrow if you pm him and ask.if you wana giv that a go,ecu problems arnt all that common,but trying cant hurt.

worst thing is that its an intermittent problem,most days it runs fine,so its hard to try different things because say if you change ecu and it runs good for a few days,whos to say it isnt something completely different from the ecu causing it and the car is just deciding to behave for a few days.

all good fun.we wil find the problem lol

beeza
04-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Ah cool,yeah not the cold air control valve.My ICM went too.It seems quite common on Honda's that have done 100,000km+

55EXX
04-06-2008, 09:46 PM
it sounds like a sensor to me in every way. does the battery go flat? if it were a battery/alt wouldn't the battery in turn die? sound like to me a sensor is setting off the check light.

croatiaboi
04-06-2008, 10:20 PM
yea we checked the battery and alternator today both are perfect so that atleast eliminates that. i doubt its a sensor though cause we used the ecu diagnostic machine thingy and it didnt show that any of the sensors were stuffed

55EXX
04-06-2008, 10:43 PM
really! man! plugs and points? maybe voltage to engine so maybe dodgy engine ground? run a 4-8ga cable from the rocker cover to batt -ve.

leaking intake manifold? does that throw a error tho? don't think so. so it wouldn't warrant an engine check light. what would warrant a engine check light but not be from a sensor?

croatiaboi
06-06-2008, 12:06 PM
man i realy dont know ay.. we cleaned out the throttle body and all the sensors and it hasent ****ed up again.. but only time will tlel i guess.. we may have fixed it

DNYALL
06-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey man, thats sounds exactly the same as wat happened to my car about two weeks ago. Long story short: I took my car to the track, revved it to hard on a really really hot day...:( started using oil and blowin smoke. Got a leak down test done and turns out the oil ring was gone in the forth cylinder.

Anyway. I was still driving it for about 3 weeks after, saving money for re-build. watchin the oil carefully and drivin full grandma.

I was drivin back from my girlfriends place and all of a sudden my engine light came on. and then it started doing exactly wat u r describing, mental idle and rough as guts at low revs. Anyway, i turned it off and restarted it and it did the same thing after about 2 minutes of driving and all the way home.

The next day it was back to running normal and didn't do it again until i gave it to the engine builder a week after.

Not sure wat the problem was, but i didn't know if it was a sensor that went or if it had something to do with my engine being stuffed...good luck with the diagnosis man :)

croatiaboi
06-06-2008, 06:59 PM
ooo damm that sounds nasty ay.. i certainly hope its not an oil ring or something.. will get it checke dout though.

55EXX
06-06-2008, 07:39 PM
keep us posted man

teh_mechanic
06-06-2008, 10:36 PM
im still thinking its an electrical problem.

worn rings doesnt fit the situation.worn rings dont make the car run shit for a few minutes but good for a few days after.if it was rings it wud be using oil,blowing smoke probably,and running generally crap most of the time....not throwin the engine light up randomly and only playing up once a week or so

Webby_roller
06-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Check all the vacuum lines. I have a similar thing happen to me and it turned out one of the vacuum lines had collapsed and after i replaced the hose it returned back to normal. Don't know if this will help but at least it can tell you what its not.

croatiaboi
06-06-2008, 11:04 PM
i doubt its a vacuum line cause if it was then it would be running bad all the time not on and off.. ill check tomorow morning though.. never hurts to check lol

genkimashi
07-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Wat does ICM stand for ?? sorry to be out of topic here....

croatiaboi
07-06-2008, 10:21 AM
ignition control module

genkimashi
07-06-2008, 02:29 PM
thx mate....