PDA

View Full Version : HID probs

Fuzz21
02-06-2008, 05:33 PM
hey guys ive done search after search after search and cant find anything.
i got hids on my dc5r the brand is super vision.
one of the ballast shit itself. i was wondering?
can i get it fixed.?
or can i replace the ballast with another and still use the existing cables.?

also has anyone heard of this brand or have them and if so where can i find them?

cheers

jamchen
02-06-2008, 06:52 PM
just get a new set... and you can still using the current bulbs...

Try to get a pair of ballsts from Ebay...

TRUMAN
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
have u tried disconnecting all wiring and re-doing em agains? it mite work (may not be the ballast or the bulb thats playing up).. worked for me on my aurion.. then again it can be anything. so give that a try.

Sp00ny
02-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Having been involved in the manufacturing process of HID Ballasts and using my own brand HID's i can tell you from experience your best bet would be to buy a new set. ALso, if your budget allows it buy a brand that is made of japanese componentry.

Mixing and matching rarely turns out good or remains reliable.

Regards,
Andrew

Fuzz21
02-06-2008, 09:33 PM
have u tried disconnecting all wiring and re-doing em agains? it mite work (may not be the ballast or the bulb thats playing up).. worked for me on my aurion.. then again it can be anything. so give that a try.

yeh i 1st checked all the wiring and so did my mate(mechanic) then we changed the ballast from one side to the other. and th good light stopped working and the bad started. we had a look at it and had a weird burnt smell to it.
but thanks anyways. i think im gonna go with spoonys advice
cheers

bennjamin
02-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Having been involved in the manufacturing process of HID Ballasts and using my own brand HID's i can tell you from experience your best bet would be to buy a new set. ALso, if your budget allows it buy a brand that is made of japanese componentry.

Mixing and matching rarely turns out good or remains reliable.

Regards,
Andrew

mixing Ballasts is fine as long as they are equally rated. IE 35w or 55w.I have 2 different ballasts in my car and they both work fine and equal , for more than 2 years sofar.

IMO just get a replacement ballast , either same brand or similar and install yourself. ITs easy , only 2 plugs to take off

kongfu
02-06-2008, 10:09 PM
supervision is crap..you need to get new set mate. You cant do anything about ballast.

tekung89
02-06-2008, 10:21 PM
yeh i have the same problem, using a gay halogen bulb atm jus a stock one. i opened up the ballast and its sealed up so theres no chance of fixing it. better off getting a complete new set jus incase the other one shits itself

Samm928
02-06-2008, 10:24 PM
i know a guy that will sell you HIDS for $135 and its with 12months warranty, his located in auburn, nsw so yeh. his reliable and does installation for you too =) bwahha. good bloke and moneys worth.

Sp00ny
03-06-2008, 12:53 AM
mixing Ballasts is fine as long as they are equally rated. IE 35w or 55w.I have 2 different ballasts in my car and they both work fine and equal , for more than 2 years sofar.

IMO just get a replacement ballast , either same brand or similar and install yourself. ITs easy , only 2 plugs to take off

The reason why i didn't mention matching specifications as the chinese made (& chinese componentry) ballasts are inconsistant and have very little if any quality/variance control. Even though the sticker may say so they can be putting out differant ratings...the stickers are a generic translation in most cases. I work closely with people from Rubycon Japan and this information is coming straight from them. I have tried it three times in efforts to fix mates HID ballasts and one caught alight and another buzzed with no effect and the other set worked.

Regards,
Andrew.