PDA

View Full Version : need help guys got defected in NSW:S

4p1ay
02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
sort of a newbie question but here goes

well long story short i got screwed over for having an exhaust too loud, tbh i didn't think it was that loud.. as well as a few other things i got done for being too low..

basically i dont have a canon, and honestly i havnt really had a proper look to see what i have but i was wondering if there was a quick way to get my car quieter?

or any info on how loud my exhaust has to be to actually be defective will help too.

about being too low, i know its 100mm but my question is is this when the car is empty? or it is when ever the car is in motion.. have to check 100% about my ride height, but when i last checked it was about 110mm...

thanks guys

Riced_Civic
02-06-2008, 07:37 PM
if your cars ova 100mm then it should be fine.

the exhaust well the only way is to get it tested 1st to see how loud it is. or u can just add more resonators if that helps.

aaronng
02-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Add a muffler inline and it will reduce the noise. Resonators just remove the droning.

Riced_Civic
02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
^^ yeah what he said, i just wasnt sure if the inline muffler would do the same or would actually cut sound

bal
02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
not sure about NSW but according to the motor vechile registry here in the ACT the 100mm is with driver, front passenger and one rear passenger in the car.

not to sure but it think its around the 90db mark is as loud as you can go (someone correct me if im wrong)

i got a stock muffler for eg if ur interested. pm me.

dahon
02-06-2008, 08:51 PM
lolz u got defected dood?
lolz when? they get ya for the pod aswell?
yeah your cars pretty low man... i kno theres a certain sound level you need to be for your exhaust to be under... it doesnt seem too loud to me though...
no OH meet? lolz

Bayani
02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Please check the General Modificatiom Guidelines for NSW thead.

Your car must be a minimum of 100mm within 1m from each Axle; with Tare.

[ricer]
02-06-2008, 10:46 PM
just wack a stock muffler on

chinkdood
03-06-2008, 02:46 AM
bring it to the exhaust shop tel them to meassure it..
n see if they make u a silencer or something
about bein too low 100mm frm the lowest point of the car..

4p1ay
03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
thanks for the help guys,

bro got done at kk on sat night aye... lol dw ill still be there, just cant drive it after this week if i dont get it fixed aye

Crapdaz
03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
any part of the undercarriage cant be lower than 100mm, include people in car.
and i think the db range is meant to be 86-90dB, read the ADR's

sitta
03-06-2008, 02:42 PM
100mm should be fine, my fn2R came with 100mm standard

aaronng
03-06-2008, 03:12 PM
100mm should be fine, my fn2R came with 100mm standard

What happens when your car is 100mm standard, and then you put on the accessory mudflaps, making it lower? Does it still count as 100mm?

Reothe
03-06-2008, 03:54 PM
lol don't think i've ever seen an fn2r with mud flaps though :D
oh and it's true.. i think the fn2r's stock ride height is very low already... scrapes sometimes

thebob
03-06-2008, 04:38 PM
mudflap falls within 1m radius of axel.

BlitZ
03-06-2008, 04:46 PM
but can u just do a sound test?

Dont u have to engineer an exhuast.. even if it passes sound level?

must be OEM or its a defect regardless of how soft it is.. i think

aaronng
03-06-2008, 05:00 PM
but can u just do a sound test?

Dont u have to engineer an exhuast.. even if it passes sound level?

must be OEM or its a defect regardless of how soft it is.. i think

What about those old bombs with rusted exhausts, who do the right thing and get the muffler shop to change to a new silent exhaust system to pass pinkslip? It's not OEM anymore. Do they need to get engineered? Nope.

Cops can defect you for anything. They can even defect you for stock parts if they wanted to. :)

RtN
13-06-2009, 04:55 PM
any one know how much to get the exhaust sound tested?

ksl
13-06-2009, 05:09 PM
normally they don't charge you for the exhaust sound measure

RtN
13-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh what do you mean.. like at the actual inspection place? Because I wanted to get my twin loop tested before the real inspection so I dont have to take the exhaust off before I clear my defect...

Nepolian
13-06-2009, 05:46 PM
It depends on the defect you got. Do you need a pinkslip or blueslip?

You normally need to pay for a sound test and they give you a printout!

In reality, it depends on who you use to clear the defect, if you catch my drift!!!!

RtN
13-06-2009, 06:32 PM
I have no idea what I need a blue or pink slip or any at all? Its a minor defect category with full inspection at an AUVIS and there was no label issued. Defect for ride height and exhaust to comply ADR28.

oh and another Q... since you were defected.. do they keep a record and keep on pulling you over and try defect you?

DNY*BOY
13-06-2009, 07:04 PM
88db for exhaust... full inspection is blue slip! ure gonna get done hard bcoz those engineers unless u kno them wont pass anything from oil leaks to wheel bearings , anything thats not oem good luck mate .... i can refer you to somone but u have to comply with oem standards first , sometimes the right person might do the right price , no if u get defected once the nxt time u get defected hoping its not the same cop then u will get defected under a different notice as they dont know ur defect status.... find an engineer to do a db test on ur exhaust, ive been defected a few times in my EG i passed each time but bear in mind sometimes you will have to change things to pass... oh when was ur notice becasue apparently some notice have changed from 21 to 7 days notice so read and check accordingly

RtN
13-06-2009, 07:11 PM
I got full inspection ... whats that mean.. lol I surely hope it doesn't mean I can't raise my car to stock height through my coils ._. and I got a 21 day notice (got the defect today)

DNY*BOY
13-06-2009, 07:22 PM
full inspection , basically all things on the car have to meet oem requirements , not just the defects this is more than just ur usual rego check .... wipers , fluid leaks , tire size to comply with placard , wiper jets to be full functional , seat belts (no rips/tears) lights (all) , gear knob (u need to have the h pattern on or near the knob) , body to conform with oe spec , no backfiring , brake test comply , seats to conform (proper rails/no movement rattle and has to recline) engine/driveline (functioning / leaks / loose )

geeang
13-06-2009, 07:26 PM
If it's a full inspection by an RTA appointed inspector then you'll basically have to return everything back to stock (including your coilovers which aren't engineered).

DNY*BOY
13-06-2009, 07:31 PM
sitta - but ur car is stock that height ... and i think its on ur placard too... ur a loophole!

RtN
13-06-2009, 07:32 PM
It's full inspection by an AUVIS so it's ok with coils then... phew.. LOL

DNY*BOY
13-06-2009, 07:34 PM
well there just as strict , are ur coils ride height adjs? and what size wheels are u running? bcoz u need stockers!

RtN
13-06-2009, 07:38 PM
wdf how strict are they ._. lol umm yeh coils are height adjustable and size wheels are like 15x6.5 +45 I think.. as if... are you serious.. I got a blue slip last time with 18" chromies on the car from the previous owner lol

geeang
13-06-2009, 07:54 PM
It's the rolling diameter that they'll have a problem with, not just the wheel size, but being 15x6.5 you should be fine as long as you dont have massively chunky or super thing tyres.

Nepolian
13-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Dont stress too much, needs to meet std blue slip requirements.

Seriously peeps, you reckon all the import would pass inspection if it were "OEM" specification!

Shop around ask a blue slip place near your home and ask them what you need to pass an inspection, instead of reading the forum and stressing!

RtN
13-06-2009, 08:01 PM
thanks yeh that sounds better hahaha

Limbo
13-06-2009, 08:16 PM
put a stock exhaust on, raise your car to normal height since u have coilovers it will be easy. Get rid of any pod etc, make the car as stock as possible and go for a test. U should pass.

I know performance exhaust has been fixing alot of loud exhausts that were defected. I'd go there cos they also have a db tester. I'm sure they will work something out for you.

RtN
13-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Oh okay yeh, performance exhaust were the ones who built my twinloop cat back for me anyway. Thanks!