PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Fan's not working

ToOLx
03-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Hey All,

Well with this mad weather up in Brisbane lately, I had to drive through a partly flash flooded road, I would say it was about 20cm of water across the road. Was a fairly major road 4 lanes wide, so didn't have an option to turn around at this point :(

As I came through creeping praying the intake didn't suck in water, I made it
across, however I continued to drive down the road I noticed the water temp rising on the gauge around 80 degrees celcius.

I came home and popped the bonnet, noticed the 2 x Radiator Fan's were not on, I had a quick look while I could in the rain. Fuses seemed to be intact (No. 15/16) Could the wiring plugs have filled up with water and reduced conductivity? I haven't tried it as yet today, possibly it dried out overnight? I suppose I could test the fan's individually by hard wiring them to the battery terminal?

Appreciate any help on this. Thanks

CRXer
03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
How could u tell it was 80 degrees,have u got a gauge?

80 degrees is fine,fans dont kick in till about 92 degrees.

I think u just didnt wait long enough for them to come on,let it idle & wait for them,if nothing happens at 92 degrees,then u got problem.Both fans should come on.If one or both dont come on let us know & we will run thru the diagnosis.

Most of the plugs & relays are fairly water resistant.

Nice car btw.

ToOLx
03-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Hey CRXer thanks for the reply.

Sorry I forgot to mention in the original post that these 2 x Fan's have been wired up to come on when the key is turned to accessories/motor started. The fans are permanently on, normally the gauges would show water temp sitting at 65 - 70 degrees celcius.

Thanks for your help.

CRXer
03-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention in the original post that these 2 x Fan's have been wired up to come on when the key is turned to accessories/motor started. The fans are permanently on, normally the gauges would show water temp sitting at 65 - 70 degrees celcius.

Thanks for your help.

Dude,thats too low for proper engine operating temps.

Well its a bit hard to tell u how to fix them if the wiring has been reconfigured.
Start by testing the fans direct to battery like u said then find the new fuse location whereever it may be now,also check your relay,they might still be using that to come on at accessories position,let me know if u want to wire them back to how they should be operating,this should be done to get your car back to a proper operating temp.

ToOLx
03-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Fair enough, I will test the fan's to the battery when I get home tonight.

I would be interested in hearing how to get them wired back to come on at a particular operating temperature, if its far to low. As far as I can see they have the wires hooked up to a little terminal with 4 Points on it. This terminal connects to battery and supplies a constant power source, must bypass the ECU all together I'd say?

CRXer
03-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I should also mention if u hit under 60 degrees your vtec wont work,but gauges usually read lower than the ECT(ECU reading) during the warmup period.

CRXer
03-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Take some pics of the wiring thats been done & post em up or try to draw a diagram.
Have u got Air Conditioning?

I have to get back to work,but I'll go thru rewiring later on or wait for your pics or diagram,unless someone else wants to tell u in the meantime.

ToOLx
03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah I mean I just assumed it was normal as it's been running like this for 1 year now.

60 - 70 Degree's Oil Temp once warm.
60 - 80 Degree's Water Temp once warm.
Just below halfway operating temp once the oil/water reach 60 degree's.

I have a feeling gauges may read a tad off, as Vtec engages when both oil/water read slightly below 60/60

Will post up some pictures when I get a chance, yes it has air conditioning (although needs a regas)

Thanks for your help CRXer

CRXer
03-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Im only helping ya cos u got good taste in vehicles;)

Jums
20-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Thanks for your help.

mate just wondering how you got the fans to be constantly on when you turn the keys?? i want my fans to be on all the time when car is on.