PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Honda Civic vs Mazda3

PrimeTime
03-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Granted I'm asking this on a Honda forum but at the moment I'm trying to decide between these 2 cars...

So hit me with all the reasons why I should buy a Civic over a Mazda3?
... or reasons not to ? ;)

Edit: I've actually have test driven both but I am still curious for additional input.

bigjo5
03-06-2008, 07:58 PM
why dont you just go to the dealers and test drive it for yourself and choose which ever car suits u best, cause not eveyroen has same taste.

civic_07
03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Civic for the looks and the interior :thumbsup:

EuroDude
03-06-2008, 10:55 PM
dayam tuff choice. The problem is that there are already a billion Maz3's on the road, so the civic lightly modded ftmfw

DC4Integra98
03-06-2008, 11:00 PM
I like how the Civic looks modded and was so so after test driving it.
However I have driven a SP23 and damn it was a fun drive for its type.

VT1-R
03-06-2008, 11:04 PM
mazda 3 sp23 vs Civic VTI will be an even run.. Hard to say.. But Civic FD is much sexier

mazda 3 MPS vs Civic Sports... Civic is raped, mazda 3 MPS destroy civic for sure..

If u are after real power, get Mazda 3 MPS for a Mazda brand.. turbo power.. The N/a mazda with 2.3 litre is just so average with that engine capacity..

If u wan a nice N/a car.. get the vti FD civic as it is hot as when u whack on a mugen kit and lower it with coilovers..lol.. Seriously, Honda are built to last n have gd resale value.. And they have heaps of aftermarket parts!!..

Get a honda.. power of dreams..

Limbo
03-06-2008, 11:19 PM
i was gonna buy an MPS...... its Mazda's fastest car yet, even quicker than the RX8
The SP23 i think is quicker than the VTI.
2.3ltr with madza's variable timing.

I like Hondas, but the new Mazdas are nice inside, makes the honda look pretty plain in comparision

just my thoughts

PrimeTime
04-06-2008, 08:08 PM
*Notes all this down*

So what about if it was just a Mazda3 Neo/Maxx (2L) vs Civic VTI ?

I'm not really a car mod person but all the mention of it sounds pretty interesting ^_^

Limbo
04-06-2008, 08:14 PM
dunno about neo, never looked into it cos i wanted a car with some potential

T-onedc2
05-06-2008, 10:18 PM
*Notes all this down*

So what about if it was just a Mazda3 Neo/Maxx (2L) vs Civic VTI ?

I'm not really a car mod person but all the mention of it sounds pretty interesting ^_^
Drove a friends Mazda 3 Maxx, ok car, but from a driving perspective I never felt at one with the car. Driving position and steering wheel adjustment wasn't good for me, I'm not tall at 5'11.

EuroDude
05-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Have a test drive of both and then decide.

Dont let the dealer sucker u into buying the first one you test drive loolool

Borg
06-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I have owned a 2007 Civic VTI-L and my mate a 2007 Mazda 3 SP23. The Mazda is so much better than the Honda it is not funny.

I was so impressed I sold the Honda after 6 months and bought a Mazda, and I have never been happier.

IVTECS4
06-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I have a 05 Mazda 3 SP23 in the household (well my sister drives it)... i quite like the 3, it's a fun car - there are things I don't like about it - such as the speedometer layout, fussy ergonomics, lack of sound deadening - man you could even hear the music outside even though the volume is very low.

Lastly, being a mazda... getting it serviced is expensive (that's my opinion). I wouldn't mind the Civic - considered getting the sport version were it not for my Euro.

PrimeTime
10-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks everyone for all the input!
So far from what I gathered...

- SP23 is the superior car in its price range (vs Sports and VTI-L)

- Civic VTI vs Mazda3 Neo/Maxx (which is the price range I'm looking at)
- Mazda has a problem with its sound deadening
- Civic has a better selection of mods
- Mazda's black interior looks better then Honda's grey. (Honda's dash is better though :D)
- More Mazdas on the road.

clem
15-06-2008, 10:30 AM
mazda 3 sp23 vs Civic VTI will be an even run.. Hard to say.. But Civic FD is much sexier

lol where'd you get that rubbish from?

theres no comparison there mate, SP23 should be more closely aligned with civic sports

and the MPS should be compared with the CTR

philBo
15-06-2008, 10:55 AM
get an mps3. been considering one lately....theyre quite affordable at ~30-31k for a 1 year old model. damn nice car and so much power...

only downside is a lot of torque steer.

MangChi
15-06-2008, 11:01 AM

theres no comparison there mate, SP23 should be more closely aligned with civic sports

although we all know the MPS will beat the CTR in a straight line...too much power and awd. I think personally i would prefer the Mazda 3 MPS over the Civic Type R but thats just my preference others would like it the other way around. :)

VT1-R
15-06-2008, 12:35 PM

lol.. I got it frm personal experience..unlike u keyboard warrior...SP23 is not that quick.. Civic VTI may be underpowered in terms of factory figures.. But vtec kicks in at bout 4k rpm and pulls gd... I drove my fren's one and its gd.. Civic Sports would beat the SP23 most times.. VTEC is the difference..

Mazda needs a turbo.. CTR vs MPS.. Isit it obvious...lol..

ton3z
15-06-2008, 01:13 PM
depends what you want!
civic is ever reliable and won't let you down.
but the 3 has current-dollar more value for money.
but getting the base 3 now, you get significantly better performance....nicer interior..BUT NO VTEC.

if resale value is a prominent issue, you should then start considering a civic.

as for preformance

mazda3
Base models (sedan) , 2.0L l 148 hp
SP23 Sport (hatchback) 2.3 L l 160 HP

civic
base model (sedan) 1.8L l 127 HP
type-R sport (hatchback) 2.0L l 198 BHP i-vtec

personally,
id go for that type-r civic

0-100 in 6.6 seconds. STOCK.

GG

sassy_fit_vtit
15-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Jump onto redbook.com.au and compare the 2 cars on the site..

no point posting because at the end of the day its your personal opinion & taste that count. kinda a silly and bias question to ask on a HONDA forum

VT1-R
15-06-2008, 02:39 PM
depends what you want!
civic is ever reliable and won't let you down.
but the 3 has current-dollar more value for money.
but getting the base 3 now, you get significantly better performance....nicer interior..BUT NO VTEC.

if resale value is a prominent issue, you should then start considering a civic.

as for preformance

mazda3
Base models (sedan) , 2.0L l 148 hp
SP23 Sport (hatchback) 2.3 L l 160 HP

civic
base model (sedan) 1.8L l 127 HP
type-R sport (hatchback) 2.0L l 198 BHP i-vtec

personally,
id go for that type-r civic

0-100 in 6.6 seconds. STOCK.

GG

Erm just to let u noe.. base model civic vti FD1 in Australia has 103kw=140hp..Check ur sources bro...

and type R civic are claimed to do 6.6 secs.. Getting to 100km in 6.6secs is questionable given the FN2R heavy body.. EP3R has been proven by top gear to beat the FN2R by a few cars in 1/4mile challenge..

r-r-redEuro
15-06-2008, 05:48 PM
okay, IMO i'd take the civic. my reasons are you get better fuel mileage, looking at fuel prices these days 2.3L isnt that great for your wallet.
My mate has a sp23, its a auto gearbox though, and its 4 speed ?! :O its not that great imo, the rev range isnt fun to play as it is with the hondas and the interior isnt that spectacular compared to the civic, yeah the grey interior is a letdown but you can always change it if it does to bother you.
and dont compare the mps to the civic sedan, its in of different class, its a turbo. Chuck a turbo on the FN2 type R and then start comparing and talk figures :)
and for my comparisons are civic vti/vti-l compares to the mazda3 base model/neo/maxxx and the civic sport to sp23.

well thats my 2cents.

CB7_OWNER
15-06-2008, 10:05 PM
My mates got an 07 Mazda 3 neo... its a piece of crap no offense and he knows it too haha... he bought it stock standard.. with a few extras like power windows..he had to change his hub cap steelies in the first few weeks cause he hated them soo much...The 2.0L duratec(ford engine in a focus, identical to mazda 3) actually has variable valve timing which does literally jack all.. unlike VTEC =D........

His car goes as hard as mine on the straight , neck 2 neck... and my car is a 1991 Honda Accord. With only short ram intake -.-......thats a 17 yr difference in age of same power...

I've driven the SP23 also too.. fun as too drive though =D its lyk a totalli diff car...not 2 mention not much aftermarket support for mazda's

Current sp23s are all 5 speed auto btw..not sure about the 4 speed in the older gen

OMG.JAI xD
15-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Honda = overall performance with value that is sustained in years to come.
Mazda = "bang for buck" value for money for its features packed into a car.

Honda = easy on your wallet, in terms of spare parts, aftermarket accesories and fuel.
Mazda = Difference in every model. Each different model captures the needs of a particular character.

In the end (biased) the civic, imo, is the top choice.
no particular reason. just looking at it deep into every single perspective.
I have nothing against mazdas. I actually love rotarys lol.
But compare everything from short to long term.
wheter problems. service costs. fuel efficiency. etc. look into it. =]

Power isnt everything. Balance is.

civ04
15-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Im a mazda man at heart,but you cant hide the fact that honda will have better resale.

PrimeTime
16-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Jump onto redbook.com.au and compare the 2 cars on the site..

no point posting because at the end of the day its your personal opinion & taste that count. kinda a silly and bias question to ask on a HONDA forum

Indeed, from my initial post I understood it is quite likely that there would be biased replies. So I was well prepared for it.

Just so you know, I ended up purchasing the civic vti over the weekend.
In the end, the only real thing that the Mazda3 Neo/Maxx had up over the Civic VTI was that it was quicker on the road (but hey its not everything). I didn't actually know that you could get the civic interior in black as well haha so thanks for all the help guys and girls!

clem
16-06-2008, 12:47 PM
lol.. I got it frm personal experience..unlike u keyboard warrior...SP23 is not that quick.. Civic VTI may be underpowered in terms of factory figures.. But vtec kicks in at bout 4k rpm and pulls gd... I drove my fren's one and its gd.. Civic Sports would beat the SP23 most times.. VTEC is the difference..

Lol... You think I have no experience in both cars? I own an VTi and i've driven a few SP23's... What are you on about Vtec kicking in on the VTi? Get your facts right mate Vtec doesnt kick in on the new Civics as the Vtec was specifically designed for economical purposes the only 'kick' your getting is the mental kick because you think just because a car has vtec it will kick like a rocket hahaha.... The only Civics that have the 'vtec kicking in' is the 6th Gen civic VTi-R, 7th gen Civic EP3 and 8th gen CTR. I've also driven a friends CTR..

lol keyboard warrior.. you're funny.

civ04
16-06-2008, 01:44 PM
cant we all just get along,stop the madness,wheres a mod when you need one roflmao.

Limbo
16-06-2008, 02:24 PM
pretty sure mazda has its own version of Vtec.

but i'd love an MPS!

Q_ball
16-06-2008, 02:27 PM
get an mps3. been considering one lately....theyre quite affordable at ~30-31k for a 1 year old model. damn nice car and so much power...

only downside is a lot of torque steer.
Each to their own...i find torque steer to be quite enjoyable haha.

mazda 3 sp23 vs Civic VTI will be an even run..
You fkn jkn arent u?
VTi FD's are absolute nuggets!!

You sound extremely biased to Hondas and I dont feel that this post does this thread any good.
Stop glorifying VTEC and put some substance into your reply!

Civic VTi
Power 103kW @ 6300rpm
Torque 174Nm @ 4200rpm
Kerb Weight 1180kg

Mazda 3 sp23
Power 115kW @ 6500rpm
Torque 203Nm @ 4500rpm-4500rpm
Kerb Weight 1312kg

civ04
16-06-2008, 03:47 PM

You fkn jkn arent u?

You sound extremely biased to Hondas and I dont feel that this post does this thread any good.

Civic VTi
Power 103kW @ 6300rpm
Torque 174Nm @ 4200rpm
Kerb Weight 1180kg

Mazda 3 sp23
Power 115kW @ 6500rpm
Kerb Weight 1312kg

check out the weight difference,luv to see these two race on da street.

evoline
16-06-2008, 03:52 PM
i was gonna buy an MPS...... its Mazda's fastest car yet, even quicker than the RX8

FD3S? :P

PrimeTime - youre gonna get somewhat biased opinions asking in OH or Mazda forums. Go to nissansilvia.com or evolutionoz.net and ask :P They might not know shit about either car but at least they'll be honest! lol

Q_ball
16-06-2008, 03:56 PM
check out the weight difference,luv to see these two race on da street.

Its only 132kg difference.
PLUS, you should not be mentioning street races anywhere on Ozhonda... its not allowed!

yorrick
17-06-2008, 10:22 AM
There are pros and cons to the Mazda3. The Mazda3 doesn't do too well on the NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) and road noise does intrude into the car compared with other similar cars. Also - it's a lot more common than the Civic.

Why is the Mazda3 selling so much better than the Civic? The reasons are:
1) It's a fun car to drive
2) If you want to squirt the car for a quick acceleration, you can (VTEC or no VTEC).
3) It's a better looking car than the Civic (I hate to say it, but the Civic ranks with the Corolla in the styling department)
4) The Honda may be more "modifiable", but a stock Mazda3 looks good and performance is already there.

If you were worried about the depreciation of the car, Mazda3 will hold it's value just as well as the Honda. But then again, if you were worried about depreciation, you wouldn't be looking at cars!

If you were looking at a pure performance car - ie 0-60 or 0-400, lap times etc, get a pure performance car. But if you are looking for a functional car that is fun to drive everyday (without losing your license), then the Mazda3 is the way to go.

As for maintenance cost, it's actually cheaper than a Civic. I had compared this with a friend of mine (their Civic for 3 years and 70,000km and my SP23 for 4 years and 135,000km).

BTW - Mazda3 doesn't need a timing belt change at 100,000km since it uses a chain.

My wife and I in 2004 was looking for a medium sized car. The cars that ended up on the finals list were Mazda3 and Corolla. Focus was still too soft, Civic was boring and the Lancer was ... well - uncertain and unimpressive.
In 2008, we were looking for a car to replace the Mazda3 in the medium car range. The limitation being, I could not pick the same car again. Having looked for a new medium size car, the top picks were new Impreza and Mazda3. We ended up with a CRV since the Impreza was underwhelming for the money put down (especially compared to the Mazda3 SP23)

VT1-R
17-06-2008, 02:42 PM

You fkn jkn arent u?

Civic VTi
Power 103kW @ 6300rpm
Torque 174Nm @ 4200rpm
Kerb Weight 1180kg

Mazda 3 sp23
Power 115kW @ 6500rpm
Kerb Weight 1312kg

Lol.. its up to the thread starter to decide.. I dun wanna argue.. UR research shows that they have exactly the same power to weight ratio (Weight/power).. Do the maths bro..

how a FD civic drives vs a mazda sp23 i tink its pretty even.. Its ur choice if u tink my replys are shit.. U are the mod.. whatever i say wont matter.. so whats the point? lol...i dun wanna be ban..haha

Slow_Dan
29-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Had both,

M3 : Very responsive, good handling, expensive, burns a hole in ur pocket, noisy

Civic : Looks like a space shuttle, great family car, spacious, good interior, better resale

RED3VIL
03-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Well i gotta say this has been a great read ... with some very interesting views opinions etc.

Well here it comes from a Mazda point of view ...even if you have decided, funny enough i never actually took Honda into account when i was looking for a brand new vehicle

- Yes road noise is a bugger .. but you cant have everything .. once you start lowering and making engine mods etc to ANY vehicle, road noise is gonna increase
- Both Mazda 3 and Honda Civic are great cars ... i havent driven a Civic but know a few ppl who have one
I dont know the Civic well enough to know how many models they have .. and this is where i want to raise a point:

As far as i know Mazda have 3 or 4 versions:
( This may have changed to 3 versions now )

- neo
- max
- maxx sport
- SP23

If the Honda is the same then there is NO POINT comparing the BASE MODEL Honda OR Mazda to a higher model Honda or Mazda because they are different in so many ways !!!

EDIT: Just checked now and they do have 3 different models aswell ...

SO when your all throwing opinions round are you refering to Honda civic and Mazda 3 in general ?? Or are you actually comparing even models ??

Next point:

Why is, ( and this happens across alot of forums ) a majority start bring up quarter mile specs/ more powerful car etc. and which car should beat the other car ??!?!

I will admit i got the SP23 because it had the bigger engine and yeah i do like abit of competition but that was the last thing on my mind when i bought this car

Finally: Servicing

Well if your gonna go by the warranty and do it through the dealership thats the cost that comes with a new car .. theres nothing in the warranty saying you CANT service it somewhere else - you just hav eto make sure hte workshop uses geniune parts

Consider this my point of view, im happy for a debate/discussion :D

MZ3
03-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Civic VTi
Power 103kW @ 6300rpm
Torque 174Nm @ 4200rpm
Kerb Weight 1180kg

Mazda 3 sp23
Power 115kW @ 6500rpm
Kerb Weight 1312kg

As if compare top end power spec to spec. If you went to Jap, the same sp23 model would have 130kw @ 6500 rpms all because of the ecu tune.

Also, another thing, how often are you really going to hit 6000+ rpms to hit max power? Most "normal" who dont go around saying "Vtec yooo". or "POWA" will stay under 4000 rpms MOSt of the time. Maybe once in a while, give a Vtec scream to 7000 Rpms.... But its about the everyday experience

I think you should testdrive both cars. My parents use to own a Civic FD VTI and i bought my Mazda 3 Neo [base model] around a year ago. I HAVE driven both and i have to say, they are great cars. The civic is quieter.... and it does look pretty good modded witha mugan bodykit etc etc.

However, i bought the mazda for a couple of reasons.
1. WAY more fun to drive. As people have said, civic is like a family car. I've heard is almost as big as the euro.

2. I got the hatch. If Honda made a hatch, i may have bought that instead.. depending onhow it drove

3. servicing would be the same as price as i cant be stuffed taking it to the dealer. Also want to say, i've had 2 warranty claims and Mazda have fixed it imediately. This includes my ATX replacement, and rear Wheel hub. This was mainly a 1 off.. No-one else had this problem except me.. oh well =P

4. The 2.0L in the mazda 3 neo/maxx/maxx sport feels more powerful than the civic. Granted, it is a DOHC and has larger displacement....

So overall, i think its all up to the person wanting to buy the car and personal preference. Honda and Mazda both make great cars...We can all say.. Oh.. civic is better.. or the 3 is better... Its all up to the buyer to decide on which.

Also.. kinda bias putting this on the ozhonda forum. Try ozmazdaclub.com if you want to know more about the 3 and how much people have really modded it =D

markCivicVti
06-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Some fair arguments about both cars... but i'm astounded that someone said the mz3 looked better than the civic... lol

Congrats on the purchase anyway.

fitvpower
09-07-2008, 10:12 PM
anyone got both cars as stock, race and youtube it

Limbo
11-07-2008, 01:43 PM
MZ3, i redline almost everytime i start in an NA car. Even when i drove the corolla
I just don't now cos i don't feel the need to do that to hit boost (maybe getting old...)

But everytime i drive i just gotta hit vtec at least once ;)

viperx
17-07-2008, 01:09 AM
At the end of the day you will very likely not care about the kilowattage, the power band or the power-to-weight ratio or whether you are likely to beat the car next to you or not.

What you will only care about eventually is (excluding the obvious non-car related stuff like warranty/insurance/servicing/price/exterior looks)

The comfort of your seat
How the layout of the car sits with you, including the driving position, yes some cars do not fit some people
The way the car spins up, eventually you do prefer a type of engine and develop some sort of respect for others. I personally do not like the way power is delivered in an SP23, but that's just me. Seems stupid to compare it to the econobox Honda 1.8, with a SOHC VTEC designed for economy (a detail interestingly left out a lot).
The sound of your engine when you do want to gun it a bit
Handling, the 3 and the civic handles quite differently.

the only way you will figure out all this is to go and drive everything you can get your hands on, power figures on forums are useless, they vary even if you run in your car well or badly.

viperx
17-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks everyone for all the input!
So far from what I gathered...

- SP23 is the superior car in its price range (vs Sports and VTI-L)

- Civic VTI vs Mazda3 Neo/Maxx (which is the price range I'm looking at)
- Mazda has a problem with its sound deadening
- Civic has a better selection of mods
- Mazda's black interior looks better then Honda's grey. (Honda's dash is better though :D)
- More Mazdas on the road.

Seems like before everyone got carried away there was a good question asked :D

For the VTI/3 Neo/maxx:
Seems like official fuel consumptions figures for civic much better than mazda 6.9/7.2 s 8.2/8.4
Seems like you get EBC (or VSA or whatever you want to call it) on the 3 but NOT the civic
Alloys on the neo, not the vti

as i understand, s-vt (mazda) is valve timing on the intake cam only, no lift.

yorrick
17-07-2008, 09:08 AM
If you put the models side (http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/Showroom/Civic/Specifications/)by side (http://mazda.com.au/Models/Current%20models/Mazda3.aspx)- which you could compare by price, it would be as follows:
$22K-$24K - Civic VTi vs Mazda3 Neo
1.8L vs 2.0L engine (Honda is better on fuel consumption)
5sp man/auto vs 5sp (man)/4sp(auto) (Honda better for auto)
ABS on VTi and Neo, EBD+EBA Neo only (Neo better on active safety)
driver and passenger air bags standard on VTi and Neo
side/curtain airbags optional on Neo, no option for VTi (Neo can option up on interior safety)
cargo room 355L Civic (Sedan only) vs 300L/416L Mazda3 Hatch/Sedan (Mazda has a wider choice of body shapes)

$25K - Civic VTi-L vs Mazda3 Maxx
ABS on VTi-L and Maxx, EBD+EBA Maxx only (Maxx better on active safety)
driver and passenger + side air bags standard on VTi
driver and passenger + side + curtain air bags standard on Maxx
cargo room 355L Civic (Sedan only) vs 300L/416L Mazda3 Hatch/Sedan (Mazda has a wider choice of body shapes)

$29K - Civic Sport vs Mazda3 SP23
2.0L vs 2.3L engine (Honda is better on fuel consumption)
5sp man/auto vs 5sp auto / 6sp man (Mazda better for manual)
ABS + VSA + TCS on Sport
ABS + EBD + EBA + DSC + TCS on SP23 (SP23 better on active safety)
6 airbags on Sport and SP23

The only things which I haven't compared are the following:
1) Interior
Both a similar in interior creature comforts and it really boils down to preferences. The layout and ease of use are good in both cars.

2) Handling
On paper, it looks like the Mazda3 will outperform the Civic at the cost of higher fuel consumption. But day to day traffic means it is the preference of the driver and how they drive. Both drive quite nicely and handle quite well for day to day driving. The prevailing opinion is that the Mazda3 is more fun to drive whilst the Civic gets you from A to B competently

3) Exterior and looks
Again - down to preferences and tastes. Mazda and Honda have some nice colours and others we can live without!

4) Performance
There are enough threads on upgrading and modding your car. It's your car, it's money! Once a car is modified, then a side by side comparison is no longer worthwhile.
Comparing SOHC VTEC versus DOHC S-VT engines are difficult at the best of times. You need to consider drivetrain, gear ratios etc etc etc. Additionally, VTEC and S-VT are two different technologies which implement power delivery in very different manners. Then again, we are talking about day to day driving in traffic...

The original discussion was laying down a limited amount of money to purchase a stock vehicle.

viperx
17-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Indeed, from my initial post I understood it is quite likely that there would be biased replies. So I was well prepared for it.

Just so you know, I ended up purchasing the civic vti over the weekend.
In the end, the only real thing that the Mazda3 Neo/Maxx had up over the Civic VTI was that it was quicker on the road (but hey its not everything). I didn't actually know that you could get the civic interior in black as well haha so thanks for all the help guys and girls!

whoops missed this must have been tired. haha

yorrick
17-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Me too. When did this occur!

Glad you made a choice. That's the only important opinion that counts for you (and your parents ... and your partner/spouse ... and your children...)

dmx
18-07-2008, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=yorrick;1810277]If you put the models side (http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/Showroom/Civic/Specifications/)by side (http://mazda.com.au/Models/Current%20models/Mazda3.aspx)- which you could compare by price, it would be as follows:
103 kw vs 104 kw (only 1 kw diff at 0.2L diff engine)
cruise control vs none
side/curtain airbags optional on Neo, no option for VTi (Neo can option up on interior safety)
power window vs optional (as 2006)
Electric mirror vs optional (as 2006)
Forgot about Audio control
Digital and dual speedo vs conservative

Slow_Dan
18-07-2008, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=yorrick;1810277]If you put the models side (http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/Showroom/Civic/Specifications/)by side (http://mazda.com.au/Models/Current%20models/Mazda3.aspx)- which you could compare by price, it would be as follows:
103 kw vs 104 kw (only 1 kw diff at 0.2L diff engine)
cruise control vs none
power window vs optional (as 2006)
Electric mirror vs optional (as 2006)

Interesting point you brought up there, coz that was exactly what i noted when i bought the 3, having sold the VTi, the price was the same or less after the upgrade to include cruise control, audio control, and the power windows. An upgrade of cruise and audio control bumped the mazda 3 prices to $21,500 when i bought mine that was in 2006. I do think its a smarter move by Honda to have it in the specs, as many people do not know what is available as accesories or add ons, and the lack of visibility over what the prices are for things that are optional or non-standard.

i did own both, and really liked the m3 in terms of power and pull throughout the revs. the website also seems to say that the M3 havin 108kw, and not 103kw. n i had more confidence going around the twisties when i had the m3

MZ3
18-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeh.. the facelift version of the Mazda 3 came with its Variable Valve Timing which bumped the power up slightly.

MZ3
18-07-2008, 12:11 PM

Audio controls can be added for around 40 dollars yourself!

Also, the mazda 3 speedo is conservative. It took a little get use to the the positioning of the needle. At 0, the needle points at 6o'clock rather than the traditional 8o'clock. I would be going 80..thinking i was gonig 60 =P. I guess that was bacl then when my car was smooth with its stocky fat wheels and i did come from a shitbox 99 Corolla 1.8

dmx
18-07-2008, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=dmx;1811954]

Interesting point you brought up there, coz that was exactly what i noted when i bought the 3, having sold the VTi, the price was the same or less after the upgrade to include cruise control, audio control, and the power windows. An upgrade of cruise and audio control bumped the mazda 3 prices to $21,500 when i bought mine that was in 2006. I do think its a smarter move by Honda to have it in the specs, as many people do not know what is available as accesories or add ons, and the lack of visibility over what the prices are for things that are optional or non-standard.

i did own both, and really liked the m3 in terms of power and pull throughout the revs. the website also seems to say that the M3 havin 108kw, and not 103kw. n i had more confidence going around the twisties when i had the m3

they qoute me before, 2006, to add power window, electric mirror (??? if i'm not wrong), and cruise, (AUTO), it end up to about $28K drive away.
that's why i choose civic VTI, 26K, complete.
and then, i preety sure, in the brochure, mazda3 have 2.0L engine with 104 kw. even my Honda sales, also tempted me, say, it's only 1Kw diff ( 1.8L civic 103 kw) at that time, 2006, not sure if now, they upgrade the power (mazda3).

Audio controls can be added for around 40 dollars yourself!

Also, the mazda 3 speedo is conservative. It took a little get use to the the positioning of the needle. At 0, the needle points at 6o'clock rather than the traditional 8o'clock. I would be going 80..thinking i was gonig 60 =P. I guess that was bacl then when my car was smooth with its stocky fat wheels and i did come from a shitbox 99 Corolla 1.8

but civic have no optional for audio control, but you can DIY :D

triode12
19-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Granted I'm asking this on a Honda forum but at the moment I'm trying to decide between these 2 cars...

So hit me with all the reasons why I should buy a Civic over a Mazda3?
... or reasons not to ? ;)

Edit: I've actually have test driven both but I am still curious for additional input.

If you want a car right now - I'd choose the Civic.
If you can wait, wait till the New Mazda 3 comes out either later in the year or early next year.

The current 3 is coming to the end of it's model life, it was introduced in 2003 and Japanese cars have a 5 year model lifetime. So if you buy the 3 now, it'll take a larger depreciation hit vs the Civic when the new 3 comes out next year. The Civic was introduced in 2006 so there are a few more years to go before it's replacement is introduced.

The interior of the Civic is better than the 3, heck it is even slightly better than the new 6 in certain respects IMO (e.g. in terms of quality of materials). It is one of the two reasons that sold me on the Civic.

However! I believe the 3 is a slighly nicer car to drive in the city. It is a bit more exciting a drive at lower speeds. The Civic is very stable and it's stability (which is a strength actually) can lead to a bit of a boring drive at speeds under 80 (esp in an automatic). The Civic drives like a much larger vehicle, it feels like you are driving at 30-40km/h when you are actually driving at 60-70 km/h. But don't take my word on it. Take both out of a test drive. YMMV.