PDA

View Full Version : Opinion/Advice with Amp + Sub

JunYu
03-06-2008, 09:52 PM
hi guys, gave my local strathfield store a visit and they came up with this combo.

-Sub is the Sony XSL124P5B they were selling this with a custom box for $179

Peak Power: 1300W
Rated Power: 380W
Frequency Response: 18Hz - 2kHz
Impedence: 4 ohm
Sensitivity: 89dB/W/m
Injected Polypropylene Diaphragm
Ferrite Magnet
Rubber Edge

Amp is the Sony XM-1S They were selling this for $499.

mono subwoofer amplifier
290 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
CEA-2006 compliant
low-pass crossover (50-300Hz, -12dB/octave)
variable bass boost (0-10 dB at 40 Hz)
switchable subsonic filter (15Hz, -12dB/octave)
Class-D amplifier design
MOSFET outputs and power supply
speaker-level inputs with high-level sensing turn-on
preamp inputs and outputs
fuse rating: 30A x 2
4-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
8-13/16"W x 1-3/4"H x 8-1/8"D

I've heard the amp power 2 jbl 12" with no problems and i've heard the sub powered by a 200 rms amp which sounds pretty good.

anyway they're asking $600 for the parts and install. Is that worth it? Are these aprts any good?

thanks

JunYu
04-06-2008, 11:14 AM
no opinions?
lol price opinions would be good. Is that too much to pay for a sub+amp like that and installation?

MDL30N
04-06-2008, 12:50 PM
i know autobarn carries rockford fosgate now...dont know bout in melb if they do. but in nsw they have a combo for under $500.

check it out.:thumbsup:

Ascension
11-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Hey buddy, have you ended up buying this yet?

First start off by asking what kind of sound quality you're looking for...

If you're looking for volume and big kick, then sony might not be the brand to go for... The package that they have given you is not too bad, the amp might be a little under powered, but that's safe limits. Sony products generally produce a warmer broader sound when it comes to car audio, and their products definitely look good, but if you're looking for thump and volume, it may be worth checking some other stuff out. What kind of music will you MAINLY be listening to?

DC5TYPER
11-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Ive heard that setup before and Ive got to say its some of Sony's best stuff they have to offer.

XM1S - Tiny little Class D amp which fit perfect under seats. Big balls for a such small amp.

XSL124P5H is a beefy sub and that box was designed by a bloke in Sydney that builds home theater boxes (thats the story going around in the industry), That sub went very loud in a BMW E36 sedan. Put it in a small - medium vehicle it will do very well.

Thats my opinion and I have heard this setup and a few different sub - amp combos with these two products, and I can say for $600 fitted it a very good price.

Cheers

freerid3r
12-06-2008, 01:19 PM
hey mate you can get a much better sound for alot less, try the kicker cv12 in a ported box with the 2 channel kicker amp bridged to 200rms at 4ohm, those go really hard in a hatch and shouldnt sound too bad in a sedan, you should get the amp and sub/box for around $400, that would be a much better option that the sony sub, the sony amp is awesome but its a bit pricey for what ur getting, pioneer also do a small amp for likw 299rrp i think maybe 399rrp so ude get it alot cheaper than that, and its like 400wrms so yeah, have a look around before u jump into something, $600 is way to expensive for that sony kit installed

adylim
14-06-2008, 01:44 AM
freerid3r check it out man, he said 600 bucks including the amp and sub with installation and everything, so he is paying 600 bucks thats all. I think its a pretty dam good deal. Or is it i read it wrongly. So basically, if you like it and it is 600 bucks for installation and the sub and amp, then it is great price. But if it is 600 for installation and wiring and stuff that the price havent include the amp and sub yet, then look around. You can definitely find a better deal around.

arverson
14-06-2008, 08:24 AM
budget sub & amp, box, wiring and basic install for 600? sounds normal, not a pretty damn good deal, just normal..

plenty of other subs (and packages) to check out. alpine type-s comes to mind for the budget. but hey if you liked it then stick with it.