PDA

View Full Version : boot leak

CRXDEL501
04-06-2008, 10:57 AM
just got a boot leak in my crx.... i found water in the two corners near the tail lights and this morning there was moisture all along the top of the boot..

i have taken the spoiler off and plugged the holes and used silicon to seal them, and also have put a type r badge on and there is a real slight gap, only just noticeable up the top of the badge, not sure if this could be the problem.

checked all my seals along the boot and they appear to be fine...

anyone else know what it could be?

just dont know where to start.

dsp26
04-06-2008, 12:05 PM
the rear light housings, either change the rubber seals under them or sikaflex the gaps to the chassis

CRXDEL501
04-06-2008, 12:36 PM
both top and bottom?

i have noticed there is a bit of a gap up the top of the light between itself and the body

dsp26
04-06-2008, 12:59 PM
both top and bottom?

i have noticed there is a bit of a gap up the top of the light between itself and the body

i've only done top and sides and changed the seal underneath since it came with the aftermarket lights. didn't bother with the bottom as i don't se water going upwards anytime soon :p

i'll try take pics.

CRXDEL501
05-06-2008, 01:56 PM
still cant find the leak... there has been moisture on the top of the boot early in the morning.

i put silicon over my badge coz there was a slight gap, still havent put silicon in the gap about the tail lights.

if it was the tail lights wouldnt it be wet behind them???

it hasnt been its just been wet in the corners of the boot near the tail lights...

if i cant find it, where should i take it to get looked at???

just panel beater somewhere local to me?

cheers

dsp26
05-06-2008, 03:12 PM
take one of the tail-lights out and you'll see the seal i'm talking about.. it's 4 bolts/nuts...

still cant find the leak... there has been moisture on the top of the boot early in the morning.

i put silicon over my badge coz there was a slight gap, still havent put silicon in the gap about the tail lights.

if it was the tail lights wouldnt it be wet behind them???

it hasnt been its just been wet in the corners of the boot near the tail lights...

if i cant find it, where should i take it to get looked at???

just panel beater somewhere local to me?

cheers

CRXDEL501
05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
so your prety certain its the tail light?

genkimashi
05-06-2008, 06:08 PM
yeap... do change the rubber seal tat is btw the tailight........then the problem will be solve....

CRXDEL501
05-06-2008, 06:29 PM
where can i get new seals or rubber from?

dsp26
05-06-2008, 06:38 PM
where can i get new seals or rubber from?

Honda spare parts department in Penrith if your in Syd... order only item though and will cost an arm and leg.

Cheaper option is take both of them out and get 4mm foam mats from Clark rubber at ~$7ea for a 30cm by 30cm.. or spen ~$100+ for aftermarket tail lights....

simonnowis
06-06-2008, 02:26 PM
as mentioned it is most likley your taillight gaskets, it seems to be a common problem. just go to clark rubber enough rubber foam and trace same shape of the oem. the ones you can get at clark rubber are slightly thicker which is better at sealing around the taillight hole, but dont get it too thick to make your taillights stick out.

CRXDEL501
06-06-2008, 09:14 PM
yeahhh i took it to a panel beater today, and he said because there is moisture sitting up the top of the boot, it has to be coming in thru the spoiler plugs.. i took all my carpet out, and just cant see any running marks, if it was coming thru the tail lights :S.

patchwick
06-06-2008, 09:38 PM
i got the same problem..but its not the tail lights...i just noticed that i've got a small pond where my spare tire is...didnt bothered to check where it came from coz its dark already...

any leads guys? thanks!

simonnowis
06-06-2008, 10:53 PM
normally it is the boot seal or the taillight gasket, try putting a buckey of water over the boot and attempt to identify where the leak is.
are you sure its the the taillight gasket? if the inside boot carpet is all dry and water only appears in the spare tyre well it is the taillight gasket leaking straight into the tools and spare tyre area without wetting the actual boot carpet

dsp26
07-06-2008, 10:52 AM
normally it is the boot seal or the taillight gasket, try putting a buckey of water over the boot and attempt to identify where the leak is.
are you sure its the the taillight gasket? if the inside boot carpet is all dry and water only appears in the spare tyre well it is the taillight gasket leaking straight into the tools and spare tyre area without wetting the actual boot carpet

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

CRXDEL501
08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
yeahh mine was wetting the carpet

czy_sol87
11-06-2008, 12:45 AM
its either the taillight gaskets, or a blocked drainage hole in the boot area
could be a blocked drain for ur rear window
this is how to unblock it
http://www.crxaustralia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3366

CRXDEL501
11-06-2008, 10:58 PM
oh cheers!!

you have been a big help.. even with that other website with the 'how to'.

i changed the plugs and it seems to be ok for now

czy_sol87
12-06-2008, 12:19 AM
no problems dude just glad i could help:D