PDA

View Full Version : Caution for GruppeM

samsung001
05-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi everyone, i've got the GruppeM installed last week.:thumbsup: From the installation instruction sheet, it states that "the filter case has a drain hole, but do not drive in the rain with the inlet air duct fully open." I know most ppl would say it is no problem to drive with the air duct fully open when rainning . But, i'm still a bit worry about it so i have been using the tape to cover 3/4 air duct these days :zip:. (Thx for the recent heavy drops). I am surprised that it doesn't affect the car performance (well at least it's not noticeable to me) so i would suggest u guys who got the GruppeM can do the same way. Just a few sec work to avoid your worry and the problem occurs. Why not?;)

SuperSteve
05-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Not a bad idea samsung001 :)

but i got a question for ya,

when it says "fully open" does that mean driving without the inlet scoop on ??

iversonruls
05-06-2008, 09:07 PM
cant really open half of ti
soo i guess fully open means without the scoop

typercivic
05-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Steve, i didn't understand what they meant by fully open either.

I have driven in heavy heavy rain recently and was a bit worried so when got home had a look and below gruppe in engine bay was water everywhere and hole was soaked so i guess it's a matter of if there will be too much water coming in for the hole to drain out at once and how much of a risk you want to take.

When parked outside at home i put a little plastic clear piece over the scoop if it's meant to rain and it blocks water from going into it then whip it off before going and put back again when get back and do the same when washing the car.

blk_shadow
05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
which engine is this intake for? K20?

typercivic
05-06-2008, 10:25 PM
K20....ep3

samsung001
06-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Not a bad idea samsung001 :)

but i got a question for ya,

when it says "fully open" does that mean driving without the inlet scoop on ??

i think it means without placing any cover on the air duct. That's my guess !
What do you reckon ?! :angel:

SuperSteve
06-06-2008, 01:55 AM
yeah i reckon that aswell samsung001, driving without the inlet scoop on. Once this rain sydney passes and i know there is no chances of showers ill try driving without the inlet scoop on.
A few months ago when i was trying to find out this squeaking noise from the engine bay of my car, i removied the whole plastic gruppe m crowl peice (to eliminate the knocking sound it made because it didnt sit properly b4) so there was a big hole and my gruppe m main peice was just sitting in mid air, hahaha i felt a bit of a difference then and also the vtec roar was x5 hahaha i might do again if i ever go track day :D

samsung001
06-06-2008, 10:43 AM
there was a big hole and my gruppe m main peice was just sitting in mid air,

how could that happen?! hahaha :) did you install it yourself?
I just left everything installation thing to my mechanic.

XP02ED
06-06-2008, 11:14 AM
inlet scoop = the cover which goes on the cowl top to grab air

BusterSonic12
06-06-2008, 11:49 AM
i know that fully open = no scoop, but always surprise about that cos i always think the scoop idea was pretty good on grabbing air lol

bennjamin
06-06-2008, 11:52 AM
guys there is a small hole in the very bottom of the gruppe-m unit , to allow water to freely drop out of the intake from gravity. Even in mild to decent rain , the intake shouldnt "Suck" in much water at all.

aaronng
06-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Otherwise, make the hole bigger? :D

chargeR
06-06-2008, 01:36 PM
I would not worry about sucking up water. In my DC5 I have driven in some very heavy rain, and also started my car directly after washing my car and spraying water down the scoop. Had the intake on for 2 years with no problems :thumbsup:.

Chi
06-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Just keep the scoop on, Driven car through heavy rain with GruppeM many times and no problems.

More chance of getting Hydro lock with Injen than GruppeM.

samsung001
06-06-2008, 03:04 PM
i know it most likely won't cause any problem even the heavy rain. But just a few seconds work to cover the air duct. I would do that way to get rid of (0.1% might be ???) problem occurs.

Mattski_VTIR
06-06-2008, 03:46 PM
the intake would need to be nearly fully submerged to hydra-lock the engine, i tested putting a garden hose down the intake while it was out of the car.. nearly impossible to fill the intake unless the hole was covered... but nothing wrong with taken extra precaution.. :thumbsup:

samsung001
06-06-2008, 03:59 PM
the intake would need to be nearly fully submerged to hydra-lock the engine, i tested putting a garden hose down the intake while it was out of the car.. nearly impossible to fill the intake unless the hole was covered...

thx for your information :cool: