PDA

View Full Version : is it safe to pressure clean my k24 engine?

biee2
05-06-2008, 08:08 PM
i was at the carwash the other day and remember that my engine is quite dusty and so i thought of cleaning it with the high pressure gun but yeah
like what the title says......is it safe to pressure clean your engine? i have seen guys at toyota do it to the cars that come in for service but yeah.....one time my friend cleaned his engine he got water in the oil filter....and thats left me paranoid.......

CRXer
05-06-2008, 08:28 PM
dunno how he got water in the oil filter:confused::confused::confused:

Yes u can pressure clean it,just dont spray directly on the sensor plugs or the sensors themselves,especially the TPS,ive seen a couple blown this way.Oh & not the alarm siren either if u got one.

r-r-redEuro
05-06-2008, 08:34 PM
umm when i used to work at a car wash, use towels to cover certain places. and spray it. it should be safe

aaronng
05-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Cover the alternator and spark plugs. I wouldn't spray it with a high pressure wash. I'd prefer to use a steamer.

snYpz
05-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Last time my dad and i just sprayed some degreaser kinda agent then hosed it down....by the sounds of it, i dont think we did it correctly lol

r-r-redEuro
06-06-2008, 12:25 AM
hope it was diluted degreaser. lol.

NVD52K
06-06-2008, 12:40 AM
you can use this engine cleaner switch at the carwash and its like a spray liquid that cleans all the grease and stuff off then after thats soaked in just spray it off but not full ball and prevent hitting your air filter etc..

Dilan
06-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Last time my dad and i just sprayed some degreaser kinda agent then hosed it down....by the sounds of it, i dont think we did it correctly lol

I dont think that is too good for the plastics + rubber in the engine bay!

CB7_OWNER
06-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Best not use high pressure.. just spray sum engine cleaning stuff on(from auto store perhaps) or degreaser.. let it set for min or 2.. and then hose off...

high pressure may make water enter places where it wouldnt compared to normal hosing off..

beeza
06-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah like in the spark plug chambers.I did that last time and it made the car mis fire and run really bad.I went to my mechanics and used the high pressure air gun to blowdry it and all ws good.
I've used the high pressure a couple of times and I'm not gonna use it again,it's too powerful...the de-greaser + low pressure should be enough.

Aaron do U use the de-greaser or just the steamer?

aaronng
06-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah like in the spark plug chambers.I did that last time and it made the car mis fire and run really bad.I went to my mechanics and used the high pressure air gun to blowdry it and all ws good.
I've used the high pressure a couple of times and I'm not gonna use it again,it's too powerful...the de-greaser + low pressure should be enough.

Aaron do U use the de-greaser or just the steamer?

I use a sponge wet with 303 protectant. Cleans most of the stuff in my engine bay since it is not as dirty to start with. I do this every 3-4 months and my 4 year old engine bay is still clean. For older cars with built up gunk, you might need a steam cleaner. I wouldn't bother with a degreaser as that DAMAGES rubber and plastic parts.

beeza
06-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks aaron.That sounds a much safer option...

EuroDude
06-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah just use a dishwashing sponge and diluted detergent and clean it by hand, whilst avoiding the electrics and sensors

aaronng
06-06-2008, 01:40 PM
^^ Use the soft side through, and not the abrasive green side.

EuroAccord13
06-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I use my steam cleaner for the hard to reach places and elbow grease for everything else...

Not a big fan of hosing with water...... Paranoid about water going into my electricals...

EuroDude
06-06-2008, 07:06 PM
^^ Use the soft side through, and not the abrasive green side.

For sure, you dont wanna scrub off the VTAK printing lolol