PDA

View Full Version : cai for 89 accord suggestions

luke_89
05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
hi all i'm looking at running cold air intake on my car my mates a metal fabricator and we are looking at fabricating it up ourselves just wondering on what piping we should use to make i know we are using stainless. also what are the chances of the engine sucking up water if i happened to hit a puddle or if its raining like we have had during the last couple of days and would it be possible to add like a vertical piece of pipe to stop it from climbing up or something along those lines. i would also be runnng a k&N pod most likely
thanks Luke

Riviera
06-06-2008, 12:45 PM
yea man i got one of those cars too just make a short ram up plenty of air flow under those bonnets

CB7_OWNER
07-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Aluminium....Stainless steel is heavy....and since the piping will hardly be exposed to any contaminents..its not goner rust anyways.

For the piping ..have a incline of about 45 degrees....if you had a vertical it could kill the air flow...cause vertical would mean right angles...any thing wif right angles usually means bad flow..

But that aside...i rkn just get a generic piping off ebay..(2 piece one) CAI for summer, and short ram for winter..

Whats the layout of a CA accord??similar to cb or cd?

luke_89
09-06-2008, 09:25 PM
yea man i got one of those cars too just make a short ram up plenty of air flow under those bonnets

hey thanks for the replys just wondering where did you run your short ram to atm i have a cheap pod on mine and it runs just off the pipe from the air box the long arm and sits in that gap nicely but its sucking hot air straight from engine so your really only gaining the rumble noise. also not to sure about the difference in set ups with engines but the short ram for winter and long for summer is a good idea still deciding weather i should go wrong its about 60 40 from what i been told about long ram and water supposable wont get up that far im told as i really am in the long running looking for fuel economy and a lill but more power but fuel is number 1 with the prices of fuel and having to drive to sunny coast from half way to brissy every day for uni thanks for ur help guys

Riviera
11-06-2008, 07:05 PM
oooooo youve still got it running to where the panel filter is you'll get lots more
rumble when u get it running directly to the throttle body, i dont have a SRI on my CA btw
i was just saying it would be good for it ive got a CD5 95 accord and a CA 88accord.

one thing i noticed when i was pulling apart mine was that, where the panel filter
is situated on the backside of the box, theres like 5 vacuum lines running into it...

u could probly resituate that sumwhere and use that plstic cement stuff
u can get it at repco or bunnings and mould it nicely somehow paint it too maybe

im gunna pull my CA's intake out this wekend i think and have a look again

what have you come up with so far???

i'll let you know what i come up with if i end up doing it :thumbsup:

Riviera
11-06-2008, 07:31 PM
heres sumthing that got me keen but yea.... no experience in the matter lol

got these pictures from a UK forum

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/a010bb6a1-1.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/Mvoingcamgear11-1.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/Install1-1.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/Shiftlinkagecomparison11-1.jpg

luke_89
12-06-2008, 12:27 PM
oooooo youve still got it running to where the panel filter is you'll get lots more
rumble when u get it running directly to the throttle body, i dont have a SRI on my CA btw
i was just saying it would be good for it ive got a CD5 95 accord and a CA 88accord.

one thing i noticed when i was pulling apart mine was that, where the panel filter
is situated on the backside of the box, theres like 5 vacuum lines running into it...

u could probly resituate that sumwhere and use that plstic cement stuff
u can get it at repco or bunnings and mould it nicely somehow paint it too maybe

im gunna pull my CA's intake out this wekend i think and have a look again

what have you come up with so far???

i'll let you know what i come up with if i end up doing it :thumbsup:

idea so far if im going to run full long ram cai where my pod is now i was thinking of dropping the pipe down there to where there is a decent gap to where i would run it to the front bumper where you have those little pull of grills and yes the only reason i still have the old air box is for the reason of those pipes when im finished ill probably run those pipes some how to the new piping and make some type of mount for them we r still looking into it my alternator has just died and we cant get it out without pulling the cv joint out which absolutely sucks and also another i looked at is those little filters in the pics u put up they are actually illegal for us to put them on our cars as i wanted to do that to the head but yeh in that pic if you look where his filter is that hole that goes down there is where im looking at running piping not sure how my brother also had the idea of running twin pods to the single pipe don't know how good that would work or how much better it would but its always an idea a pod either side ill keep you updated if we making something good enough might be able to knock you up one for your ca as well as they are basically the same lay out aren't they.

Riviera
12-06-2008, 07:26 PM
soundz like a decent task man, yea i knew those smaller filters were illegal
"breather filters" but your pod out in the open is illegal too :p,
also they do have the pipe to attach it to but yea, i only posted
up those pictures to show the engine conversion

alternator died eh? thats gota p!$s you off...
and yup we got the same layouts such a nasty layout too.
that hole you thinking about running the piping down is where the battery and
ish is...
im definatly gunna ghetto sumthing up this weekend to get a cold air feed at least
then do what youve done with the pod on the pipe :thumbsup:

luke_89
12-06-2008, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=Riviera;1748466]soundz like a decent task man, yea i knew those smaller filters were illegal
"breather filters" but your pod out in the open is illegal too :p,
also they do have the pipe to attach it to but yea, i only posted
up those pictures to show the engine conversion

alternator died eh? thats gota p!$s you off...
and yup we got the same layouts such a nasty layout too.
that hole you thinking about running the piping down is where the battery and
ish is...
im definatly gunna ghetto sumthing up this weekend to get a cold air feed at least
then do what youve done with the pod on the pipe :thumbsup:[/Q

yeh very nice conversion it is, i was thinking of something like that but way to much work so the idea now is rebuild this engine a drop a engine from the wreckers and do up old one and turbo! aint seen any other 87 accords round with turbos lol. oh yeh mines 87 i was looking at my name when i wrote the title and cant change it. and yes alternator really pissed me off did you know to removes the alternator u have to remove the cv thats how shit of a job it is but ill get it fixed tomorrow cheap thanks to having a mechanic brother :P and yes thats where we were thinking running the piping and also is it still illegal for me to run it if its not in complete open air i was thinking running it into the front bar where i have a pull out grill but will leave the little grill also if i do that its higher and protected from water but still straight fresh air. and yeh let me know what you ghetto up mines pretty ghetto at the moment but oh well does a lill bit of the job. was talking to my mate the length we have to buy is like 6 meters maybe 9 and was thinking if we get this sorted all sweet and you are keen we could make up a copy of mine for ya to makes it cheaper for us again by the looks of your aviator pic you live in Radcliffe abouts well it looks like rothwell toys are us if so we r from north lakes. and i also do hate all the wiring and cables and what that in my engine bay looks ugly and annoying!! also my mate just brought a 93 cb as well and we are making a cai for it as well lol you have both of our cars but a couple years newer of each model lol. so let me know if your intrested and we will sort something out

Riviera
13-06-2008, 08:42 PM
wasaaaa yea man thats me at reddy lol

im over at woodyp, umm ive got a CAI on my current accord
just the CA accord was gunna be my backyard mod car hehe
test a few things out i cant go too hard out on it... cause its auto
and well umm i crashed it a while back which is what made me get a
newer car lol i tidied the dents up and damaged panels myself to a point
so yea dont wana do much more work to it... might get an old model car
again, possibly try and get another 87-89 accord in manual possibly...

turbo soundz pretty alright aye alot of people have done it in the states
search up in google turbo 88 accord theres a few on car domain