PDA

View Full Version : When is it considered CEL??

CB7_OWNER
05-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Hey pplz..

So i was wondering.. while sitting here......when people refer to "O, i got a CEL"...does this refer to when the engine is running??? or it also applies when the key is just in the ignition position???

Because my car has the CEL when in ignition position, but dissapears when the engine is running and never returns again till next tim the engine is off..and lately i've noticed my car running like shit... wondering if one of the sensor's goner...i know about the paper clip trick.. just lazy to do it

CEL i mean - Check Engine Light.

panda[cRx]
05-06-2008, 11:33 PM
the CEL comes on for a moment at startup, is that what u mean?

CB7_OWNER
05-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Yeh......but i dun think it dissapears till i crank the engine.

IZY-10
06-06-2008, 12:29 AM
hmmmm if you have a problem it should throw out a code while your car is on

aaronng
06-06-2008, 01:54 AM
When there is a problem, the CEL stays on even when the engine is running. Don't be lazy. Stick a paperclip up the hole.

CB7_OWNER
06-06-2008, 02:08 AM
Yeh... ill get around too it soon ^^....just wondering if its normal for the CEL to come on before cranking the engine thats all.. =D

dsp26
06-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Yeh... ill get around too it soon ^^....just wondering if its normal for the CEL to come on before cranking the engine thats all.. =D

it's normal....

now stick it up the hole... lol

aaronng
06-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Yes, it is normal to come on when you first turn the key to "on" before starting the engine. It goes away 1-2 seconds after my engine fires up.

trism
06-06-2008, 03:35 PM
all cars are like that. when the ignition is on, but the car isnt running, all your warning lights will light up. engine, handbrake, radiator, battery, oil, etc etc

string
07-06-2008, 03:46 PM
all cars are like that. when the ignition is on, but the car isnt running, all your warning lights will light up. engine, handbrake, radiator, battery, oil, etc etc
The CEL turns OFF though. Any time the CEL remains lit you have a code you need to check. The CEL only turns on for my while the fuel pump is priming and that is all. Really the only one that should change when you startup is the oil light.

Do yourself a favour and wire up a switch to the legs, makes checking codes simple. Print of the codes and keep the sheet in your glove box too.