PDA

View Full Version : Yet another DC2 SRS question

shin78
06-06-2008, 09:21 PM
I've been reading lots of threads on this forum and other sites on the web, but haven't been able to find a definate answer.

Has anyone actually installed the TypeR steering wheel on a 98- 00 VtiR, including the SRS connection?

Here's what I've gathered so far:

TypeR steering wheel is a bolt-on with VtiRs
However TypeR airbag connector is different to pre 97 VtiR one, so you can install it, but the airbag is disabled (I've done it in my old 94 VtiR..). This is because the SRS computer is located inside the steering wheel in pre 97 VtiRs, whereas TypeRs have it under the dash
Since post 98 VtiRs are OBD2 like TypeRs, some people have said the SRS computer should be under the dash rather than in the steering wheel, and therefore the TypeR airbag connector should fit

Now I'm looking at getting a post 98 VtiR and installing my TypeR steering wheel on it, but before getting one, I wanted to hear from someone who's done it.

Thanks!

googed
07-06-2008, 11:37 AM
also want to know, can anyone please clarify/?

TECDUP
07-06-2008, 07:27 PM
What about the JDM ITR's pre 97?

Would they fit pre 97 VTiR?

is the steering wheel the same as post 97? im not sure, maybe something to look into

shin78
07-06-2008, 07:41 PM
I can answer that one. JDM pre 97 typeRs didn't come with airbags.
So yes, the steering wheel would fit (as in, the shaft/spline will fit), but the airbag would be disconnected!! unless you re-wire the whole car with post 98 looms.

Has anyone put the TypeR steering wheel on a 98-00 VtiR with the airbag connected???

Blulude98
08-06-2008, 11:32 PM
I have put a Type R steering wheel on a EG VTI with srs so i dont see why it's so hard to put one in another teg. From what i figured out is that the EG is OBD1 and the teg 96+ is OBD2.

ECU-MAN
10-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I have put a Type R steering wheel on a EG VTI with srs so i dont see why it's so hard to put one in another teg. From what i figured out is that the EG is OBD1 and the teg 96+ is OBD2.

does the SRS light come on for 8 sec then go out when you start the car ?????

googed
10-06-2008, 12:34 PM

ahh k. but with plugging the srs, did you just plug it in with the standard srs bit behind the steering wheel?

problem is that the tape use to collide where the horn wire was, had a few troubles with the srs abit and in regards to steering, which will be sorted with a proper wheel alignment

googed
10-06-2008, 12:35 PM

the SRS right now aint plugged in coz i need that new module.

but prior to that, the srs stayed on permanently when the it was properly plugged in.

the car is a 97 VtiR if you need to know also..

Blulude98
10-06-2008, 11:47 PM

Yes it it did it worked the exact same way as it was with the orginal wheel. On Ignition before start up the SRS light came on then when started it turned off after a couple of seconds

Blulude98
10-06-2008, 11:50 PM
ahh k. but with plugging the srs, did you just plug it in with the standard srs bit behind the steering wheel?

problem is that the tape use to collide where the horn wire was, had a few troubles with the srs abit and in regards to steering, which will be sorted with a proper wheel alignment

For my EG i used the clock spring of the Integra Type R it bolts straight on then i made my own conversion harness pinouts to fit with the OBD1 SRS loom from the EG to the OBD2 plug on the Type R clockspring.

shin78
30-06-2008, 05:46 PM
To bury this question once and for all, I've tested it. And the result was...
TypeR steering wheel fit my 98 VtiR, including the SRS harness no problem :)
It was plug & play, and the SRS warning indicator came on and went out after 6 seconds like it's supposed to, so I assume it's operational.

From talking to googed, it doesn't seem to fit 97 VtiRs though.