PDA

View Full Version : CTR (FN2) Downpipe/Decat now available

Reothe
07-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Just found an interesting item for those Fn2 owners out there that hope for a bit more grunt and performance out of their Fn2's but aren't prepared to do a custom cat-back exhaust or wait any longer for an aftermarket branded exhaust system. This would be a nice little bolt on addition, check it out guys:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Civic-FN2-Type-R-2007-Downpipe-Decat-De-cat_W0QQitemZ220240993225QQihZ012QQcategoryZ38786Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ek4-guy
07-06-2008, 05:21 PM
just don't let the EPA catch ya

Reothe
09-06-2008, 02:26 AM
lol yeah so true..haha..but most of the time they'll just issue an EPA test summons letter in the mail if you get caught with an overly loud exhust. Easy bolt on/off stock 2nd cat :D

aaronng
09-06-2008, 03:36 AM
If they do stop your car and look underneath, then say bye bye to $10,000.

Reothe
09-06-2008, 10:30 PM
lol, well if it's just a decat/downpipe then that exhaust mod alone won't cause it to be loud enough to warrant EPA officer's attention. There are so many louder cars out there with straight through systems + header... the downpipe alone would be a pretty stealthy mod imo :P

dsp26
09-06-2008, 10:37 PM
lol, well if it's just a decat/downpipe then that exhaust mod alone won't cause it to be loud enough to warrant EPA officer's attention. There are so many louder cars out there with straight through systems + header... the downpipe alone would be a pretty stealthy mod imo :P

have you sat behind a car thats been decat... the smell is quite obvious... highway patrols know this smell very well coz of the amount of people that actually think it's cool or beneficial.

sitta
10-06-2008, 03:36 PM
If they do stop your car and look underneath, then say bye bye to $10,000.

is that the real figure of the fine? :( thats massive

dsp26
10-06-2008, 04:14 PM
is that the real figure of the fine? :( thats massive

it's along the lines of $10k per cylinder or per litre.. can't remember which....

Reothe
10-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah I know. It's true the fine is in the vicinity of $10,000 but I've never heard or know of anyone who has been done in for a downpipe/decat. It's hardly noticeable since our newer cars come with 2 cats standard and will still have the front cat attached to the header if a downpipe is installed. Oh and yes I do know the smell..very nice smell.. something like a barbeque and a char grill with sulfur mixed in :D heehee..don't ask me how i know :P

bennjamin
10-06-2008, 10:08 PM
2 cats ? thats one per 2 cylinders not one in front of the other -
this is a stupid illegal conversation that is not applicable to anywhere on our oz roads.

PS the no-cat fine is so high because its simply so STUPID to run without one. IF hi-po cars have tested without one and have hardly a gain , what is it going to do to your 2l na buzzbox ?

Reothe
11-06-2008, 12:35 AM
lol I was just stating the fact that most new cars now come with 2 cats so the effect will be less noticeable.. Also, this thread was never intended to promote illegal mods. But as you know as well as I do, most modifications such as headers and exhausts are illegal by EPA standards so this is not contrary to anything else posted on OH. I'm merely bringing to light a possible modification that may interest FN2 owners since there are hardly any performance modifications available right now. Yes, I agree the performance gains may be questionable but that is for the individual to research and find out. And by the way, it is one cat in front of the other.. I've seen it with my own eyes under a hoist. And the fine is not for no-cat.. it applies if there has been a DE-cat even though there may still be a cat attached. As I stated previously, most new cars are required to run 2 cats. Please do your research before ranting on my thread. Cheers.

PS. Whoever said it belonged on oz roads? There are some mods that are best left for the track days :) Especially if it is bolt on/off.

hooyn
11-06-2008, 09:48 AM
poke out your cat lololol

krogoth
11-06-2008, 10:08 AM
without reading the whole thread

dont do it

very lame

bennjamin
11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Duh. inline cat or not - removing one will destroy the next one and give that bad EPA feeling in the post. Its stupid and wont give you any more HP or "feel".

aaronng
11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
lol I was just stating the fact that most new cars now come with 2 cats so the effect will be less noticeable.. Also, this thread was never intended to promote illegal mods. But as you know as well as I do, most modifications such as headers and exhausts are illegal by EPA standards so this is not contrary to anything else posted on OH. I'm merely bringing to light a possible modification that may interest FN2 owners since there are hardly any performance modifications available right now. Yes, I agree the performance gains may be questionable but that is for the individual to research and find out. And by the way, it is one cat in front of the other.. I've seen it with my own eyes under a hoist. And the fine is not for no-cat.. it applies if there has been a DE-cat even though there may still be a cat attached. As I stated previously, most new cars are required to run 2 cats. Please do your research before ranting on my thread. Cheers.

PS. Whoever said it belonged on oz roads? There are some mods that are best left for the track days :) Especially if it is bolt on/off.
The first cat works at low temperature, but releases unburnt hydrocarbons when it heats up. When hot, the 2nd cat takes over the duty of reacting the unburnt hydrocarbons. You cannot take 1 off and expect your cat to work like stock.

aaronng
11-06-2008, 10:32 AM
poke out your cat lololol

The fine for this is more than $10,000. I remember reading that the fine is much much heavier if you hollow out the cat.