PDA

View Full Version : Villeneuve signs with Sauber!!

VTEC16
16-09-2004, 02:43 AM
Jacques Villeneuve signs with Sauber

Jacques Villeneue will be back in F1 in 2005

Sauber Petronas has signed Jacques Villeneuve as a new driver from the 2005 season onwards. The 33-year-old Canadian entered into a two- year contract, which will come into effect on November 1, 2004. Jacques Villeneuve will be the team-mate of Felipe Massa who will continue to drive for Sauber Petronas next year.

Expressing his enthusiasm about signing Jacques Villeneuve, Team Principal Peter Sauber expressed himself delighted.

"I have to admit that signing a former World Champion is something truly special for me," said Sauber. "However, I want to make it clear that this was not the decisive factor. When I was talking to Jacques, I could feel that he is absolutely keen and committed to return to Formula One. He was always a great fighter and I am convinced that together we can achieve a lot. I fully realise that signing a former World Champion is also an obligation for the team to provide him with a car that meets his expectations. Sauber Petronas has made considerable progress this year, and I am confident that we are ready to tackle this challenge."

Jacques Villeneuve, testing today with Renault at Silverstone, is also optimistic.

"I am extremely excited to be back in Formula One with the Sauber Petronas Team, and I appreciate the confidence everybody is showing in me," Villeneuve said. "It is my goal to work with Peter and his team to bring them forward in the championship during the next two seasons. In my recent visit to Sauber, I have been extremely impressed by the professionalism which is apparent throughout the factory. I am looking forward to seeing the results that will be developed by the state-of-the-art wind tunnel."

Jacques Villeneuve entered Formula One in 1996 and won a total of eleven races. He was World Champion in 1997.

The news means that F3000 Champion Tonio Liuzzi will not race with the team in 2005, but has been linked to a test role with the squad.

E.A.
Source Sauber Petronas

bigteethygrin
16-09-2004, 12:47 PM
its good to see jv back.. i thought he had left F1 before his time.

jackosimm
17-09-2004, 10:20 PM
hmmm be interesting how his form is

LUD02C
17-09-2004, 11:10 PM
hmmm be interesting how his form is

Come on Jackosimm.
His form will be great, China is Maylasia mixed with Monza.
Nice wide fast track it got described by the drivers.
I hope he gets a podium finish this year in the Renault and then Ferrari "help" Sauber out abit with the aerodynamics and gearbox and then JV should be contending with 4th and 5th place.

I must admit, he has taken the spot light in the "silly season"

Jason :wave:

7th Gen
17-09-2004, 11:15 PM
yeh, you never know with these guys who take some time off then make their 'comeback', good luck to him anyway

the first corner at china aka 'the snail', looks like there will be some drama there

although the saubers are using ferrari engines and gearboxes, from next year it is only the engine, sauber are using their own gearbox. should be interesting anyway

ECU-MAN
18-09-2004, 01:09 AM
good to see JV back