PDA

View Full Version : Trouble removing Hub Nut!

PopadocD15B4
09-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey guys i got a big prob on my project i got a 92 EG Civic Hatch and need to remvove the gear box in order to change the thrust bearing but anyway i am having trouble removing the right hand side hub nut facing from the front i was wondering if anyone knows which way i have to turn it to take it of Left or right? i have already broken two wrenches lol so yer any help would be appreciated you legends!!!

Peace

Pauli

HondaTechy
09-06-2008, 01:38 PM
get cordless rattle gun.

CB7_OWNER
09-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Did you pry out the ding in the nut first? there should be a dint in the nut that keep it in place..pry that out with a flat head, and then use a 18" or larger breaker bar.

EDIT:as with most(if not all) car studs and bolts.. its anticlockwise to loosen and clockwise to tighten

EDIT2: BTW to make it easier.. you should loosen it while the car is still on ground, and have a friend apply the brakes for you, and place the car in neutral (auto and manual alike)

dsp26
09-06-2008, 01:57 PM
you don't need to remove the hub to get gearbox out....

HondaTechy
09-06-2008, 02:03 PM
thats true just undo the bottom ball joint pop the joint out of the gear boox and there enought room to move the drivshaft out of the way.

Benson
09-06-2008, 05:46 PM
dont need to pry the nut... get a 32mm socket with a BIG breaker bar.. Get someone to step on the brakes and turn the breaker bar anti-clockwise.. If the bar isnt long enough, i use the pole of the trolley jack for the extra leverage.

Limbo
09-06-2008, 06:48 PM
spray lots of wd40 first and then try the breaker bar.

One one half-cut i had, we had to heat up the nut to get it off as it has sized one. So if that's the case, wd40 and then put a blow-torch on it for abit then give the breaker bar another shot

bennjamin
09-06-2008, 08:28 PM
its easiest to do this....

drop the car on the ground , wheels on etc as per normal. Turn the wheels full lock to the left. Slightly unlip the 32mm indent , then get a good breaker bar + long piece of pipe etc on the end. place it parralell to the ground and basically place your foot on the middle/nd of the pipe and rock it loose. will take a few hits and a few sprays of WD40 etc

PS dont use a cordless impact gun , it will run out of battery in about 20 seconds of hitting it.

gnx1987
11-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I had to take the drive shafts out of my car recently and yeah you don't need to do the hub nut. do like one of the aboves said and just undo the ball joint nut and maybe the suspension fork bolt (can't remember you may be able to get away with it).

IMPORTANT: don't let the drive shafts stretch to much. I'm not sure what sort you've got, but on mine on the inboard joint, it's a tripot assembly and one of them stretched to much and one of the bearings must of popped out because I was unable to locate the ball joint back in it's hole. the axle also had to remain in the hub cause it was seized like a mofo. so I had to undo the band on the boot, pull the boot back out of the way and try to locate 3 individual bearings into the outer race and slide the driveshaft back on. it's harder than it sounds

dsp26
11-06-2008, 07:13 PM
^^^yah.... benn and i spent some frustrating time under my mrs car when these popped out, must give it to bennjamin as it was quite a feat doing gearbox without removing the passenger side shaft and wheels altogether, mind you my gfs bro dropped the gearbox on my face/neck... that ****ing hurt for a week.

bennjamin
11-06-2008, 09:27 PM
^^^yah.... benn and i spent some frustrating time under my mrs car when these popped out, must give it to bennjamin as it was quite a feat doing gearbox without removing the passenger side shaft and wheels altogether, mind you my gfs bro dropped the gearbox on my face/neck... that ****ing hurt for a week.

fun memories not ! ffs lock nuts DO work people :)

destrukshn
11-06-2008, 09:44 PM
its easiest to do this....

drop the car on the ground , wheels on etc as per normal. Turn the wheels full lock to the left. Slightly unlip the 32mm indent , then get a good breaker bar + long piece of pipe etc on the end. place it parralell to the ground and basically place your foot on the middle/nd of the pipe and rock it loose. will take a few hits and a few sprays of WD40 etc

PS dont use a cordless impact gun , it will run out of battery in about 20 seconds of hitting it.
my cordless one doesn't run out of batteries after 20secs?
lol.
don't know which one you are using.
my one usually takes off hub nuts with ease.
lol.

bennjamin
11-06-2008, 09:47 PM
my cordless one doesn't run out of batteries after 20secs?
lol.
don't know which one you are using.
my one usually takes off hub nuts with ease.
lol.

brand and torque rating ?

fatboyz39
11-06-2008, 09:50 PM
A GOOD breaker bar, 1/2' 32mm deep socket. 80-100kg person should be able to break it.

bennjamin
11-06-2008, 09:52 PM
yup as above.
I use a truck ratchet (1inch) , and a piece of random metal pipe as a extension. Works and wont snap the head clean off like so many dodgy breaker bars.

Ascension
11-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I hope you've already worked this out by now, but if not...
A rattle gun is your friend, remember, loosening is anti-clockwise. In case there's no rattle gun, invest in a gear puller, it's the best $18 I've ever spent on a cheap and effective tool.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc39/ph11ps/Mypics040.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc39/ph11ps/Mypics041.jpg

A solid breaker bar should be more than enough to do the trick, treat the nut and shaft with WD40 for a few minutes before hand, and use a cheater bar if need be, if it still doesn't move in the worst case scenario, place your breaker bar on the nut in question pointing towards the same way the car is facing and leaning on the ground, and drive the car forward a tiny bit, just enough to crack the siezed nut. Remember on the left side you will have to do it in reverse. Work smart, not hard. Good luck

bennjamin
12-06-2008, 10:19 AM
dude a gear puller is not to be used n this situation. Its not pulling anything....

Ascension
12-06-2008, 10:25 AM
My mistake, I got a bit ahead of myself there... Gear puller's allow you to remove the shaft once the nut has been removed. You'd be more likely to have more trouble removing the shaft then removing the bearing lock nut. Apologies.

bennjamin
12-06-2008, 10:35 AM
My mistake, I got a bit ahead of myself there... Gear puller's allow you to remove the shaft once the nut has been removed. You'd be more likely to have more trouble removing the shaft then removing the bearing lock nut. Apologies.

the image you show was for a different car...NFI what lol.
There is a earlier accord that has this type of hub - external to the knuckle + disc.
You are right tho its not too hard to remove the 32mm nut. Just a little bit of effort and leverage goes a long way

EGB18CT
12-06-2008, 02:10 PM
just get a ratchet, 32mm socket, breaker bar and stall the car in gear.. should crack the bolt, for pass side bolt just put it in 1st and turn the car over for a sec. done.

destrukshn
12-06-2008, 06:37 PM
brand and torque rating ?
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=power&item_ID=80481&group_ID=19913&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

snap on baby. lol.

Shorty
12-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Snap-On is THE only brand. lol.

If your using inferior tools, then yah, a cordless ratchet gun would only last like 20 seconds...lol. I know my mechanic only really uses Snap-On (or Snap-On in Blue-Point form) tools.

They are the choice of PROFFESSIONAL technicians :)

Shorty
12-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I should be a Snap-On promotions girl.lol

HondaTechy
12-06-2008, 07:34 PM
If ur rattle gun runs out in 20 sec take it back to the toy store.snap on uns are the only way to go the only bolt they dont undo is the crank pully bolt.ive stripped complet cars engine and gearboxs.cant think of life without one now.

bennjamin
12-06-2008, 07:56 PM
18volt thats why. Big guns for big money :) Still , alot better than a pneumatic set

Shorty
12-06-2008, 08:36 PM
yeh, spending big money on good tools gets the job done better and faster..lol. gotta weight it up I suppose.
Not worth it to buy one of those if you're just a DIY-er but good for the real pro's.
I mean, especially when it comes to suspension installs- using one of those guns cuts the time it takes to do it by heaps and that gets the customers ride back on the road quicker yet.

bennjamin
12-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes. Suspension installs. Quick with a gun with 18v or more. my 14.4v is perfect for everything less than the hub nut - snap on is "the best" out there fo sure tho

teh_mechanic
12-06-2008, 10:35 PM
snap on cordless gun would probably cost a few weeks of my mechanic pay.....god dam.....its the gun for ballers.

threadstarter - just get a good breaker bar

bennjamin
12-06-2008, 10:36 PM
you could just steal one from a DIY guy on this forum.

Its been done before and seems to work !

PopadocD15B4
24-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Cheers Peeps got the problem sorted will k.y.i aight.

Pauli