PDA

View Full Version : head bolts

gambate
16-09-2004, 11:55 AM
i heard when u open the head, you need news head bolts ($$ ?)to be safe? it is true? i need to replace the head gasket...

redliner
16-09-2004, 11:58 AM
hmmmz not sure about the new bolts... but if going to open the engine cover.. you prob need to replace the seal as well...

ECU-MAN
16-09-2004, 07:36 PM
you dont need to replace the head bolts, only if they have damaged thread or corrotion on the shaft, what car/engine you working on.

Weq
16-09-2004, 10:52 PM
to be safe i personally would. Depends on ur application though. if it a shopping cart, reuse, but if not, dont. Its hard to get a correct&even torque on reused bolts. U dont know how much strength they have either.

ArminG
20-09-2004, 04:18 PM
the reason you need new head bolts is because when u tighten them head bolts are designed to stretch a little hence holding down the head with all that pressure....

so if u re-use head bolts, there are no guarantees that it wont leak and screw your gasket again....

ECU-MAN
20-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Honda Headbolts are very good in general. Never had any problems reuseing them, PS I have done my fair share of Heads on Hondas

ProECU
20-09-2004, 10:56 PM
If the bolts our out of specs on the stretch measurement, time to replace!

VTi-RT
24-09-2004, 06:26 PM
When taking out the head, honda recommends you replace the head bolts. As everyone has previously said, honda bolts are designed to stretch. Over time they will stay stretched and won't hold as much pressure.

You see this alot with guys turbo'ing their hondas esp with D16 series engines.
They fit the turbo and find out that they're getting overheating problems. It's because the head is lifting so slightly that pressure leaking out of the cylinders and adding pressure into the water system etc...

If you plan to replace, get some ARP head studs instead. :thumbsup:

ECU-MAN
24-09-2004, 09:25 PM
When taking out the head, honda recommends you replace the head bolts.

Honda Dearlers ???? the workshop manual says no such thing.

Rufes1
28-09-2004, 08:30 PM
This is my understanding...
Usually you only need to replace head bolts that are designed to stretch upon use, eg they are torqued to a spec then turned another another so much of a degree, which actully stretches the bolt, and it is designed to do so. These ones need to be replaced, but the other normal types eg used on a honda, can be re-used

ECU-MAN
28-09-2004, 10:21 PM
This is my understanding...
Usually you only need to replace head bolts that are designed to stretch upon use, eg they are torqued to a spec then turned another another so much of a degree, which actully stretches the bolt, and it is designed to do so. These ones need to be replaced, but the other normal types eg used on a honda, can be re-used

could be, but Iv heard that tentioning by angle is more acurate than tention wrench on final adjustment.

DR HONDA
01-10-2004, 12:25 PM
you dont need to replace the head bolts, only if they have damaged thread or corrotion on the shaft, what car/engine you working on.
All head bolts should be measured for stretch upon every removal of the cylinder head. Gambling not checking head bolts.

Regards

Dr Honda

ECU-MAN
01-10-2004, 06:39 PM
All head bolts should be measured for stretch upon every removal of the cylinder head. Gambling not checking head bolts.

Regards

Dr Honda

work shop manual doesnt supply service limits for head bolts, do you know where to source these specs.

josh
01-10-2004, 07:04 PM
you dont need to replace the head bolts they are high tensile steel they wont stretch