PDA

View Full Version : BOV noise

Limbo
10-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi guys
i'm getting bored with the noise my BOV is making and was watching the Initial D - Movie (one with Jay Chow in it). Anyway i noticed that Edison's (yes that one) car had a unique BOV noise.

Anyone know what/which BOV it is?

instead of the swoosh, it make a metallic squeak noise.

Ok don't bother flaming unless you know which BOV it is

[ricer]
10-06-2008, 08:46 PM
ur sucha ricer limbo hahaha

i miss my bov noises :(

trism
10-06-2008, 10:13 PM
i belive its the Greddy Type S that makes the squeak noise.

or a hks SSQV

sounds awesome imo

Q_ball
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Did it go... psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh-tutututututututututtutu??

Or did it go...

psssssssccchhhwwiiitcchhhhhhhhh??

EKVTIR-T
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I had a look at the engine bay screen shots
Cant really see any bov
Looks like stock

By the sound of it,if its the actual fc and not just a dub I reckon it might be the oldskool hks..

This one maybe
http://www.grahamberry2.co.jp/stock/e599_94_lancer_evolution_gsr_2_red/e599_94_evo2_red%20002.jpg

Limbo
10-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Ricer - i think you've infected me

hmm cool trism
anyone else able to confirm?
It was a really clean noise

Qball - psssssssccchhhwwiiitcchhhhhhhhh??

Limbo
10-06-2008, 10:18 PM
it had a metallic noise to it, i've never heard that on any cars around here and would like it for my car ;)

trism
10-06-2008, 10:18 PM
see my edit, or the HKS SSQV

Limbo
10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
hmm i've seen this BOV in action but it doesn't make that noise.
You could be right it might be the rotory in the FC at work

Limbo
10-06-2008, 10:23 PM
ANyone else know of anything else?

Q_ball
10-06-2008, 10:30 PM
LOL, i know the one that youre talking about, HKS super-sequential i believe it is.

Limbo
10-06-2008, 10:33 PM
you sure qball? cos i dun wanna go out and get it and then find i got the wrong one

Q_ball
10-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Fly had that exact one i believe, and it sounded exactly like the HKS one i just mentioned...
Let me ask him haha

Q_ball
10-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Did it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQxQAr3cMi8&feature=related

mars_panas
10-06-2008, 11:06 PM
This would do the trick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQb2B7AE-8

LOL!

trism
11-06-2008, 12:07 AM

or a hks SSQV

sounds awesome imo

see my edit, or the HKS SSQV

LOL, i know the one that youre talking about, HKS super-sequential i believe it is.

^^ ummmmmmmmmm

gReY-oNe
11-06-2008, 12:09 AM

or a hks SSQV

sounds awesome imo

the greddy type s i like better the hks one is too sharp for my liking but each to there own
they both sound kinda similar LOL

vincikwan
11-06-2008, 03:03 AM
The HKS SSQV makes a very sharp "psst" sound. Should be the sharpest sound on the market. I had it on my S15.

IEVAQ8
11-06-2008, 08:29 AM
the noise your claiming.....i believ is the HKS SSQ, my ate has it on his supra

grncvc
11-06-2008, 10:04 AM
get rid of the BOV full stop and it will Fluttozoorrrssss

TSSTTUTUTUTUTUTUT

[NAV]
11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
flutter is the bestttt...

zco
11-06-2008, 12:50 PM
why dont you youtube both the BOV's and find out which one is closer to the one you're after

greddy type S or HKS SSQ

grncvc
11-06-2008, 01:16 PM
www.blowoffvalves.com

Limbo
11-06-2008, 01:52 PM
can't seem to listen to any of them at work. Will have to do it at home

EGB18CT
11-06-2008, 02:30 PM
type s is a nice sound pitty they dont make them anymore - they wernt super reliable either...

the closest to it you will get is the hks ssqv v2 now and thats pretty much it.

evoline
11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
i had a HKS SSQ on my evo. it has a very sharp noise when you release the throttle and it also flutters when you release the throttle slowly or half release it. you'll find that many of the same BOVs will sound different depending on what car you put it on.

a friend of mine with a WRX with the HKS SSQ but the sound was essentially different from mine.

and no doubt it will sound different on an FC or whatever else you plan to stick it onto.

and just a tip. no matter how awesome your BOV sounds.. you'll always get sick of it. I ended up changing back to an OEM evo VIII MR bov after it started giving me the McSh*ts

aimre
11-06-2008, 09:05 PM
did it sound like a laser? that the greddy then, type s i think but WITHOUT the trumpet. Using the plumback attatchment but venting to atmo

http://www.racingworks.com/images/greddy_type_s_bov.jpg

kongfu
11-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Record the noise from Initial D movie either from Jay or Edison's car. Burn a CD and enjoy the sound in your car. : ) Perfect!

Limbo
11-06-2008, 10:02 PM
hmm it was a very sharp sound, maybe what your saying... still not sure

did it sound like a laser? that the greddy then, type s i think but WITHOUT the trumpet. Using the plumback attatchment but venting to atmo

aimre
12-06-2008, 06:55 PM
hmm it was a very sharp sound, maybe what your saying... still not sure

Here. This guy has one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPOEjAnQIlI

[ricer]
12-06-2008, 06:57 PM
farrrk thats pretty annoying that one lol

destrukshn
12-06-2008, 06:59 PM
i like the rs better
lol.

nigs
12-06-2008, 07:37 PM
L O L

Limbo
12-06-2008, 09:19 PM
hey that's the one. :)
very similar to the noise i heard.

Limbo
12-06-2008, 09:23 PM
+ rep aimre

kongfu
13-06-2008, 12:28 AM
the sound is annoying.

tekung89
13-06-2008, 12:51 AM
hey do any of you guys know why nissans get flutter? is it their BOV or how the piping is done? or could it be where the BOV sits? mates got a BOV on his s14, similar to mine, its the HKS SSQ and he gets flutter and my civic doesnt lol

Limo
13-06-2008, 11:37 AM
i heard that you need abit of boost to for the HKS SSQ to make that noise. i had a mate who had one on his civic @ 5psi and you couldnt hear anything.

hey do any of you guys know why nissans get flutter? is it their BOV or how the piping is done? or could it be where the BOV sits? mates got a BOV on his s14, similar to mine, its the HKS SSQ and he gets flutter and my civic doesnt lol

is his bov connected up?normally you dont run a bov to get a flutter.

Teggy-Vtir
13-06-2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FszbPFnxZKE&feature=related

listen to all 3

i personally like the hks..
i got the type RS on my car

Limbo
13-06-2008, 12:29 PM
mine flutters. I'd rather it not and just have a single noise.
I'm running a turbosmart supersonic with a t28

which turbo you running and which BOV Tekung?

Centurius
13-06-2008, 12:35 PM
i run a SSQV on my crx, and it's amazing the difference in sound between 10psi and 13-14... will let you know how it sounds on high boost when i get it back :p

also makes a whisper sort of bov noise on partial throttle release as described earlier

tekung89
13-06-2008, 06:59 PM
my bov sounds similar to the SSQV but it has less to almost no squeel at the end. oh wells. Limbo im running a t3, and my mates s14 is a t28 and it flutters like a b!tch . . i like it better under full boost, u hear the BOV much better

Teggy-Vtir
13-06-2008, 07:10 PM
i thought the flutterin sound is from the airfilter?
correct me if im wrong..

[ricer]
13-06-2008, 10:44 PM
i thought the flutterin sound is from the airfilter?
correct me if im wrong..

yeah it comes out of the filter...

is ur car quieter now with the air box?

Limbo
14-06-2008, 11:52 PM
my airbox i all for show. THe filter is still in the same place.

trism
15-06-2008, 03:54 PM
the point of a bov is so that when you get off the throttle and the throttle body closes, the air rushes back and forces the bov open, and releases the pressure.

if you dont have a bov, the air rushes back and instead of being released hits the spinning turbo blades, and makes the flutter noise, which of course only comes out of the airfilter/intake pipe.

BOVs have an adjustment as to how tight they are, and how much pressure is required to open them. if you have it wound up tight, then release the throttle at mild revs, and the bov wont open, and will make a flutter noise.

at high revs, and high boost it will open.

destrukshn
15-06-2008, 03:57 PM
the point of a bov is so that when you get off the throttle and the throttle body closes, the air rushes back and forces the bov open, and releases the pressure.

if you dont have a bov, the air rushes back and instead of being released hits the spinning turbo blades, and makes the flutter noise, which of course only comes out of the airfilter/intake pipe.

BOVs have an adjustment as to how tight they are, and how much pressure is required to open them. if you have it wound up tight, then release the throttle at mild revs, and the bov wont open, and will make a flutter noise.

yups, that is how my one is setup right now
lol.

trism
15-06-2008, 11:25 PM
imo thats the best way to have it.

e240
17-06-2008, 08:55 PM
A sound like this will be fantastic!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ9yvirKiyM&feature=related

dsp26
17-06-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNxugO-uf0

Limbo
17-06-2008, 10:07 PM
that's a good one. Never thought of putting a duck whistle on the BOV

dsp26
18-06-2008, 07:10 PM
that's a good one. Never thought of putting a duck whistle on the BOV

lol.. yeah i know it wasn't much a contribution but was funy.

the only other thing i had before when i had my gt starlet was a whistle.... you know those tiny cylindrical ones you can buy? i inserted one on 2 of the 4 opening holes of my bov (was an old turbosmart type 1)... that thing screamed!!!

twas awesome coz i didn't have much an exhaust... some drunk guys on the side of the road... rev it up then bam... th highest pitch noise lol

trism
18-06-2008, 09:08 PM
lol do a dog whistle.

tiksie
22-06-2008, 03:05 AM

Re-location of AFM.

aimre
22-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Re-location of AFM.

lol, if u just do that, there will be no diffrence

krogoth
25-06-2008, 10:22 AM

sorry for going a bit offtopic

but all turbo cars come with a BOV stock right?

but stock BOVz are usually very quiet, but they are a mechanical/safety requirement yeh?

its not good for all that air to rush back to the turbo is it?

so the BOV has an important function apart from drawing attention to urself, lol

Limbo
25-06-2008, 10:46 AM
nope i know porche don't come with a BOV

krogoth
25-06-2008, 11:02 AM
im not sure, but i think theyr turbo system isnt like the conventional one we know about

it just seemed a bit odd to be running plumb back setup

they would have to vent off the excess air some how or u would hear the flutter noise

gReY-oNe
25-06-2008, 10:44 PM
talkin about BOV i got a question

mine stopped working today
so my car just flutters

wat could be wrong iwth it ??
checked the vaccum hoses
seems all good

HELP!!

EKVTIR-T
25-06-2008, 10:49 PM
seized up? dirty?
air leak?

gReY-oNe
25-06-2008, 10:52 PM
seized up? dirty?
air leak?

i was thinkin air leak too
BUT i toke a look and everything seems ok
this happened b4
and it wouldnt work

the BOV is pretty mcuh new so i dont noe about dirty or seized

anything else that could cause this to happen?

EKVTIR-T
25-06-2008, 10:55 PM
There's not much to them.Basic mechanism
I've seen the blitz supersound ones seize b4
That's why I mentioned seizing
Are you boosting ok?Full pressure?

gReY-oNe
25-06-2008, 11:02 PM
yeah....

it usally goes off wen im not in boost yet too

*shrugs* i just noticed it today wen i was drivign to eastern creek
as i dont really drive my car till it flutters or anything

so i dont noe how long its been goin on for

i tried full boost today everything seems to be runnin fine
no strange idle or anything

how would i check a seize??

EKVTIR-T
25-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Is it welded on or hose clamped on?
You can physically press it with your thumb to make sure it's moving correctly.
Depends if you can get to it though..

gReY-oNe
25-06-2008, 11:07 PM
yeah the BOV is right on top i didnt hide it or anything

umm it welded on

EKVTIR-T
25-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Pull it apart then if you can.

gReY-oNe
25-06-2008, 11:11 PM
ill give it a shot tomorrow at work and keep u posted

any steps to help me pull it apart???

dw pm sent

trism
26-06-2008, 06:01 PM
sorry for going a bit offtopic

but all turbo cars come with a BOV stock right?

but stock BOVz are usually very quiet, but they are a mechanical/safety requirement yeh?

its not good for all that air to rush back to the turbo is it?

so the BOV has an important function apart from drawing attention to urself, lol

well in a stock setup, the air is plumbed back into the airbox. hence no noise.

its done for the longevity of the turbo.

in a perfromance setup, ie the Porsche, or any aftermarket setup, the turbo is alot stronger than a stock one, so less likely is the chance for damage.

krogoth
26-06-2008, 06:27 PM
ahh, ok, thnx for explaining

but if high performance/super car turbo setups, the air goes back towards the turbine after the TB closes, how come they dont make a fluttering noise?

trism
26-06-2008, 06:55 PM
well id say the Porsche does have a BOV

but if not, it wouldnt make the noise coz of the airbox. you can only really hear it if its just an intake pipe leading to an open pod.

gReY-oNe
26-06-2008, 07:01 PM
well id say the Porsche does have a BOV

but if not, it wouldnt make the noise coz of the airbox. you can only really hear it if its just an intake pipe leading to an open pod.

my car has a proper air box it still flutters?

destrukshn
26-06-2008, 07:04 PM
my car has a proper air box it still flutters?
same.
lol.
ahhahaha.

gReY-oNe
26-06-2008, 07:06 PM
same.
lol.
ahhahaha.

OH BTW!!!
my bov is working again
LOL i didn ttouch it but it seemed to have fixed itself :D

Limbo
26-06-2008, 11:03 PM
prob sized up on itself due to cold weather

aimre
26-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Porches do have a plumback BOV. The actual reason cars have BOVs is to STOP that fluttering noise. I can imagine what a 50yo business man would think when his $200,000 porche starts making noises like a pigeon.

Ive gone through it many time, no bov doesnt significantly damage ur turbo. i cbf explaing, but if u search, i had many many posts, with much evidence suporting my claims.

Also some cars DONT have bovs, example VL turbo comes WITHOUT one from factory. Also you will notice many trucks dont have them either. Ive hard MANY trucks 'dose' on the freeway.

All a bov does is add another thing that can go wrong into the system.

trism
27-06-2008, 01:53 PM
yeah i hear trucks dosing all the time.

its funny as fcuk

K20A DC5
28-06-2008, 11:11 PM
I had a look at the engine bay screen shots
Cant really see any bov
Looks like stock

By the sound of it,if its the actual fc and not just a dub I reckon it might be the oldskool hks..

This one maybe
http://www.grahamberry2.co.jp/stock/e599_94_lancer_evolution_gsr_2_red/e599_94_evo2_red%20002.jpg

These suck, there old and work on a diaphragm, once it dies it leaks terriblly..they sound good though, they run twin vac lines.

Porches do have a plumback BOV. The actual reason cars have BOVs is to STOP that fluttering noise. I can imagine what a 50yo business man would think when his $200,000 porche starts making noises like a pigeon.

Ive gone through it many time, no bov doesnt significantly damage ur turbo. i cbf explaing, but if u search, i had many many posts, with much evidence suporting my claims.

Also some cars DONT have bovs, example VL turbo comes WITHOUT one from factory. Also you will notice many trucks dont have them either. Ive hard MANY trucks 'dose' on the freeway.

agree, but also disagree,

I wouldnt go running 20 pound with no recirculation valve, the forces you put back on the compressor wheel through reversion gets pretty extensive at big boost levels. It may not kill it, but its undue stress on the bearings and shock waves it doesnt need. AT standard boost levels,it wouldnt be a problem, they are mostly a wank thesedays and manufactures have got onboard and exploited the shit out of them...theyre mostly not necessary

And the minimal benefits acheived from the wheel freespinning between gears arent that great. Most drag cars dont even run them, not to mention they rebuild their motors constantly too.

FIT
29-06-2008, 12:44 PM
get this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHfFmm0ji8

unless u want more then one noise

get this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4I2vA9tzsQ

gReY-oNe
29-06-2008, 03:24 PM
prob sized up on itself due to cold weather

that happens??

prob it then cos seems to be doin it wen its cold
did it last night too
and it was fine this morning
i think its time ot buy a new one

absolutR
02-07-2008, 05:08 PM

Sorry man but cars with a blow off valve will still flutter as well. and its purpose isnt to delete the flutter sound it is to release pressure and saves the car having a pressure surge which causes back spin, a drop in power, which happens after the accelerator is lifted. So its actually a good upgrade, especially for high boost cars, where the pressure build up is much greater

absolutR
02-07-2008, 05:10 PM
i agree that it wont damage your car but sometime it does upset the ecu depends where its mounted n if your runnning a standard ecu and what not, but still it does have a purpose other than sound

Limbo
02-07-2008, 07:04 PM
that happens??

prob it then cos seems to be doin it wen its cold
did it last night too
and it was fine this morning
i think its time ot buy a new one

yeah your supose to take apart your BOV and lube it once in a while to maintain it. It can get jammed if not properly lubed (that with the turbosmart ones anyway)

nigs
02-07-2008, 09:08 PM
I have 2 (yes two) BOVs and it still flutters. ZOMG!

K20A DC5
02-07-2008, 09:51 PM
You will get flutter when the BOV isnt opening,
That is, the pressure in the system isnt great enough to overcome the spring pressure in the BOV

So the noise you hear is compressor reversion, the same noise youd get if you had no BOV.

The other advantage as was mentioned earlier is for the ecu/airflow meter.

With some airflow meters, when reversion occurs, air heads back out through the pod after hitting the compressor wheel (thats what the flutter noise is) when this happens it sends mixed directional signals throught the airflow meter and the car runs rich,lean,rich,lean as the air pulses back and forth, this is felt as a surge and unstable stutter, it gets very annoying. This is all stopped with factory plumback BOV's.

gReY-oNe
03-07-2008, 11:43 AM
yeah your supose to take apart your BOV and lube it once in a while to maintain it. It can get jammed if not properly lubed (that with the turbosmart ones anyway)

ill do that on teh weekend LMAO

thanks. seems to only happen at night once in awhile so hopefully its ok

Spoon-Accord
03-07-2008, 12:05 PM
to me it could of sound like the Greddy type-S

maybe a HKS Super Sequential

trism
03-07-2008, 01:06 PM

or a hks SSQV

sounds awesome imo

the noise your claiming.....i believ is the HKS SSQ, my ate has it on his supra

why dont you youtube both the BOV's and find out which one is closer to the one you're after

greddy type S or HKS SSQ

i had a HKS SSQ on my evo. it has a very sharp noise when you release the throttle and it also flutters when you release the throttle slowly or half release it. you'll find that many of the same BOVs will sound different depending on what car you put it on.

a friend of mine with a WRX with the HKS SSQ but the sound was essentially different from mine.

and no doubt it will sound different on an FC or whatever else you plan to stick it onto.

and just a tip. no matter how awesome your BOV sounds.. you'll always get sick of it. I ended up changing back to an OEM evo VIII MR bov after it started giving me the McSh*ts

to me it could of sound like the Greddy type-S

maybe a HKS Super Sequential

ummm, lol