PDA

View Full Version : Installing fog lights in an ek1.

Gio
11-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Can someone link me to a DIY or tell me what kind of business would install them for me?

Done a quick search on google and OH couldnt find anything.

Chris.

EDIT: For facelifted model

Mugen Civic
11-06-2008, 11:22 AM
http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/civicfoglights.pdf

^^ here you go buddy

just do it yourself, save money on installation.

Gio
11-06-2008, 11:36 AM
sweet thanks heaps dude, been sitting on here waiting

Gio
11-06-2008, 11:43 AM
What kind of business would actually install these bad boys dunno if i could be effed doing it myself

bennjamin
11-06-2008, 12:12 PM
pm destrukshn on this forum - if he gets time off work.

I might do it if i have time too.

Gio
11-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey Ben thanks for the offer mate im just going to have a go. Any tips before i do it, mistakes that can be easily made etc?

bennjamin
11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
just disconnect your NEGATIVE off the battery before hand. And dont cut anything you dont know what it is....
all you need is wires - power and ground and a relay if using decent power. And a switch.
Go to jaycar and get it all

DvSnGuYeN
11-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Best to mount it yourself.. I did mine over the weekend.. I was nervous at first and the foggies sat there for 6months.. in the end, wasn't as hard as i thought.. I've mounted them, but haven't wired them up as I was hung over and it got dark.. LoL!..

If ya wanted to get them done at the shops, auto-electricians do it.. they quoted me between $250 to $400 to mount and wire.. rip off!

the holes were pretty easy to cut out and with the mounting, everything's there for ya!.. on the reverse side of the bumper, there's sorta screw mounts and stuff.. I used a stanley knife and a plasterboard saw to cut them holes, obviously started the whole thing with a drill..

Gio
11-06-2008, 12:57 PM
sweet, just went and got the 11 mm drill bit. Going to go start now.

latinstyle69
11-06-2008, 01:04 PM
hey man, yea it actually isn't hard at all...dont bother payin as it is a complete rip off...plus u get more enjoyment doing it urself once seeing them complete and working :D

If the harness is different to the OEM harness let me know and ill find the link i used to do mine! it was from a US honda forum

Gio
11-06-2008, 06:17 PM
ran into some troubles today the lights are all good but fitment is terrible. Was working on it all day trying to get it to look good, ended up snapping a clip half off. So my car is in pieces at a mates gararge and the fog light cover is drying, hopefully it will work out :(

I got one in fine but since the clip broke on the 2nd one there is no way to hold the foglight cover on so if it dosnt work looks like i will be buying a new ****ing bumper or doing a lot of sanding trying to make the fog holes look nice :(:(:(:(:(:(

Gio
12-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Ok guys so i got the fogs in but now im up to the wiring.

The plugs arnt fitting into what they are meant to be fitting into, if anyone will be or can come on msn and help me please leave ur addy, i need some serious help :(

Gio
12-06-2008, 10:50 AM
The instructions say that i have to locate a wire being held by blue tape at the back of the fuse box, i have found threee that are being held by blue tape but none fit into anything

Mugen Civic
12-06-2008, 12:34 PM
issit the one pin plug?

because by memory I think the Australian version of the car has it on the driver side, like taped up against the fender but in the bonnet. May need to remove the air filter box to see it.

The instructions i linked you to is for American Civics.

I'm just about to install my foglights aswell but is waiting for the facia's to be finished spray painted. But thats were i noticed were the one pin plug was.

Gio
12-06-2008, 01:35 PM
yeah there is one under the hood and like 3 under the dash, the one under the hood fitted well, couldnt find any to fit under the dash

SiReal
12-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Gio, firstly,. DON'T STRESS!!!! Problems can be fixed. The more stressing you do, the more impossible this install will become.

Is this a genuine wiring harness?

I have installed a couple of OEM 'design' kits however came with generic harnesses. Generic harnesses are wired differently and need to be installed separately from the factory wiring loom.

This is the most basic diagram you can follow.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x229/JeffSiReal/20080113%20Foglight%20Install/wiringfoglite.jpg

If generic harness:
I would suggest you do a 'trial' operation of the fogs before you start running things into the car. so put all the plugs and sockets together first, ground everything that needs to be groundd and power everything that needs to be powered. if that all works, then start installation. once u know what needs to be grounded and what needs power, then all u have to do is find points to ground, and find wires to tap into for power (or run direct to battery).

Gio
12-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks bud, just ****ing annoying me. They are on the car now just not hooked up, think im stressing cause i have exams coming up very soon. Its an 'oem' style kit, the plugs must be a bit different cause there is no 'blue taped' plugs behind that fuse box that connect to the plugs supplied.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/chrisgiovine/cut.jpg

Here are the pics of the connectors that i was given.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/chrisgiovine/PICT0002.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/chrisgiovine/PICT0003.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/chrisgiovine/PICT0004-1.jpg

SiReal
12-06-2008, 02:13 PM
ok, so do all the plugs on the foglight loom all 'fit into' each other? minus the wire from the fuselink , one from the fog loom (i think) and one from the switch.... cant remember exactly...

there should be two looms. one is for the fogs. and then another loom with the relay, etc which then connects to the fogs. correct?

SiReal
12-06-2008, 02:18 PM
better yet, take a picture of the loom and all loose plugs and sockets and i'll see what i can do from melbourne in front of my pc to perhaps guide u a bit.

of course, i may be wrong seeing though i cant trial and error.

SiReal
12-06-2008, 02:23 PM
OK i will edit those pics and post up. give me ten.

Gio
12-06-2008, 02:26 PM
thanks bud, thats the ones i was given and NONE of the 3 or 4 in the dash would fit into them.

SiReal
12-06-2008, 02:34 PM
this is generic. i've done an install of this harness before and it worked.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x229/JeffSiReal/PICT0002a.jpg

So the ones which are circled, do not physically plug into anything honda. i am very very certain (99%) these need +tive power. The yellow one best to run straight to battery.

The small red one best to splice an interior power cable - i highly recommend the cigarette socket power. This effectively powers the switch light. I found the fogs did not turn on if this was not powered.

You will need to make a wire up using a spade connector (i think - the flat ones), shove it in the female spade inside this brown socket and then run that into postive power..

there should also be another ground wire from the fogs themselves... but cant see here. give that a try.

BEFORE you go and put cables all over the car, do a trial install. so ground what needs to be grounded and power what needs to be powered. and see if the fogs work.

Gio
12-06-2008, 02:42 PM
The yellow one best to run straight to battery.

How do i run this to the battery?

The small red one best to splice an interior power cable - i highly recommend the cigarette socket power. This effectively powers the switch light. I found the fogs did not turn on if this was not powered.

So cut the ciggy power and hook it up to this?

You will need to make a wire up using a spade connector (i think - the flat ones), shove it in the female spade inside this brown socket and then run that into postive power..

there should also be another ground wire from the fogs themselves... but cant see here. give that a try.

Yeah there is and its grounded and runs under the hood into another socket.

BEFORE you go and put cables all over the car, do a trial install. so ground what needs to be grounded and power what needs to be powered. and see if the fogs work.[/QUOTE]

SiReal
12-06-2008, 02:49 PM
How do i run this to the battery?

Where are you locating this loom? either way, you wil need to run wires through the firewall.

You will need to simply get a spade male terminal (with a wire to the battery) and shove it into the female terminal (inside the brown socket).

So cut the ciggy power and hook it up to this?

Don't cut it. Just splice it. So make a break in the plastic shield on the wire, so u can get to the metal wires underneath, and then tap into it.

Yeah there is and its grounded and runs under the hood into another socket.

The blue wired socket? Or facotry harness socket? :confused:

BEFORE you go and put cables all over the car, do a trial install. so ground what needs to be grounded and power what needs to be powered. and see if the fogs work.

It shouldnt be that confusing. The instructions we got for OEM design foggies for both civic and accord were factory installation instructions. However the the harness was far from factory installation capable.

Gio
12-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the help mate. I will do this in a day or 2 :)

CER-15E
12-06-2008, 04:41 PM
where did u get ur fog lights from?? and how much? thanks.. they look good.. so hope they end up workin out for you :)

Gio
12-06-2008, 04:43 PM
ebay man have a look at the US one not the AUS one

Mugen Civic
26-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Hello Gio

I got the same foglights from Ebay from US ages ago but am only now taking the time to installing it. haha

Was wondering, did u ever get the foglights to work?
Because i've got the same problem with the wiring harnesses for the switches. Generic harnesses, it was harder than i thought....

Lemme know.

Gio
27-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Yeah man its ****ed. I have not actually tried to hook it up electronically yet, i cbf atm.

Mugen Civic
28-06-2008, 03:30 AM
oh ok

heheh nice to know someone else with the same problem =)

i'm gonna try to work this out harder, i'll let you know when i get a solution.

|nick|
25-07-2008, 08:30 PM
SiReal is spot on.. My foggies work, only problem is the pins for my switch came out. Can some one please post a pic of their switch and wires. I just need the order of the colours as i'm only not sure on the last two.

B16bcivic
09-09-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm stuck with the same situation arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I NEed real help. It's the ones from eBay just like yours, same wiring everything, got the fog switch working and now it's not argh, but the foodies won't turn on.