PDA

View Full Version : need HELP with wheel size, width and offset combination

dom.303
11-06-2008, 11:07 AM
hi guys,
i've search and read many posts
but i still can't decide on what wheel and rim size shld i go for..

i'm after looks so i was thinking of 19" or 20"
but i dont want my car to be a pain to drive daily so i guess that rules out the 20"??

currently, i'm using eibach prokit on stock shocks running on standard 17"
i've bought ingalls rear camber kit (havent install yet)

i'm currently eyeing for
http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/SiteMedia/w3svc633/Uploads/Images/r281black.jpg
http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/Content_Common/pr-race-wheels_r281-black.seo
which comes in 18"/19"/20"

but i read in another thread about the width and offset limit?? (sorry i'm new to this and i dont quite understand)
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83115&highlight=wheel&page=4

anw, my question is what's the best wheel size and tyre combination for this rims on my car???

cheers

euro77
11-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Have a read on this: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html (2 pages), it has calculators that you need to make sure your tyres will fit properly.

I don't see any offset information, but if you're going 18x8.5 or 19x8.5, lowest offset you can go is +45 (or is it +40? someone correct me please) before you have to roll your guard.

if you want comfort, I reckon go 18". I personally think 19" is too big for an euro and might not be comfortable.

Miz_II_Die_IV
11-06-2008, 11:06 PM
go 20" 225/30zr20 will fit... try to get a beta tyre not nankangs.. from my experience they arent any good... Remember size 20 series tyres wont rub mine is lowered 1.5inches but could be bit more... looks thats the way to go im a daily driver so yeah.

tony1234
12-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Have a read on this: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html (2 pages), it has calculators that you need to make sure your tyres will fit properly.

I don't see any offset information, but if you're going 18x8.5 or 19x8.5, lowest offset you can go is +45 (or is it +40? someone correct me please) before you have to roll your guard.

if you want comfort, I reckon go 18". I personally think 19" is too big for an euro and might not be comfortable.
I agree.20s are too big.+45 is as low offset as you should go bearing in mind OEM rims are +55.BTW i wouldn't go to Ozzy tyres,heard too many negative reports about them.

dom.303
12-06-2008, 09:47 AM
BTW i wouldn't go to Ozzy tyres,heard too many negative reports about them.

really?? what sorts of negative things?

racerwannabe
12-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I've got 18s with stock suspension and to me the ride is noticeably a lot harsher. I cant imagine what the ride is like if you go up to 20s. Having said that it doesn't seem to bother some people. Maybe you should go for a ride in a euro with 20s and see if you can live with it.

I think ozzy and tempe are ok as long as you specify the offset you require - ie no less than 45. Otherwise they might fit wheels that have too low an offset and your wheels will stick out.

tony1234
12-06-2008, 11:11 AM
really?? what sorts of negative things?
PM Miz11die1V she'll tell you.I've also heard from other members here.i wouldn't like to say any more here.:zip:

Miz_II_Die_IV
12-06-2008, 04:18 PM
hahaha Tony, why u pushing him over too me... LOL... yeh stay clear of ozzy, bunch of hot head idiots tat dont know what they are talkin about... King of Wheels... Wata load of CRAP....one things for sure they dont know nothing about euros, maybe there slick 300 and mercs but not ferraris, I had 2 sets of wheels from them and the first set went on an Audi a4, that had a couple of hicccups at the begining but the ways ok, But wen i got the euro wheels< OMG was it a headache, for like 3 months i was virtually working there cos i was there like all day, never again... even if i was to purchase wheels from them it be just to purchase, not to get them to fit it.. My 2c.

racerwannabe
12-06-2008, 05:13 PM
my 2c. dont go into those wheel shops without having done any research coz the people who work there know as much about euro wheels as you do and they probably dont care. i was tempted to buy a set when i drove pass those places but luckily i found ozhonda! :thumbsup: as with anything..research before you fork out your hard earned $$$

felixd
12-06-2008, 08:35 PM
So if i want to get 19 inch what offset that will suit best ?cuz i had experience on 18" i want to upsize :) thx

Crapdaz
12-06-2008, 10:26 PM
So if i want to get 19 inch what offset that will suit best ?cuz i had experience on 18" i want to upsize :) thx

get in the range of 45-55 and depending how close they are to your strut depends on your width. so go for at least an 7.5"-8.5" wide but make sure that you dont have rubbing etc.

euro77
12-06-2008, 11:43 PM

your selection of the rims diameter has no direct relation with what offset you need to choose. It's the width of the rims (and tyres) that has impact on the offset. Seriously, read up on the link I've provided. Use it's calculator (on page 2) to see what effect the different offsets.

For example, if std oem tyre is 205 wide, and offset is +55, fitting a rim with offset +45 and tyre of 245 wide (which is likely when you get a 8.5" wide rims - again use the calculator available to see what tyre width would fit a certain rim width), the results is:

The edge of the new tyre will be 10mm closer to the inside of the wheel well and suspension components, and 30mm further out from the edge of the bodywork.

With the above in mind, measure how it will look like at your car. if you have more than 10mm clearance on your current oem setup in the inside, then the new rims & tyres won't scrub the inside. Having said that, 30mm further out might mean that your wheels/tyres will stuck out of the body and thus becoming illegal, so you need to roll the guard to stay legal.