muff,er lil cain
catback liL more
dull eveJ more
ehehe

comes down to `re u willing topay the extra a,ount

fried
30-10-2003, 03:39 PM
hey all!!!

anyone can help me with actual proven facts about pros and cons of each compared to the other?

like FE has powergain, CB doesnt have power gain, M is jsut for looks rah rah rah....

bascially i wanna know is its worth getting a catback exhuast.

insurance wont let me get full exhuast. i drive an integra vtir.

also, jsut general info on full exhuast.... like where does it go? up to the headers? extractors? i dunno.. confused beyond the point of the CAT... so i dunno.

thanks plenty!

eric.

wynode
30-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Full exhaust involved changing everything to do with the exhaust.
I.e
Headers -> Cat -> Piping -> Muffler

Cat back is just everything after (and often including) the cat.
I.e.
(Cat) --> Piping --> Muffler.

If you just change the cat and the piping + muffler you might get some gains. But they won't be as much as changing to a FULL exhaust.

A'PEXi
30-10-2003, 04:45 PM
well considering you can't get FE, don't worry about them :) CB - cheaper, you'll get some noise, some minor gains, and some looks if you wack on a n1 or something similar... not bad :)

fried
30-10-2003, 05:31 PM
ahhh so headers are that piping from the engine bay thast like 4-2-1.. and that *1* goes back to the CAT.... and then so on.

nice, thanks.

yeah catback would be cool then, im very into the whole N1 angled exhuast look! will def look into it, jsut gotta make sure insurance will allow me to get it!

thanks!

fried
30-10-2003, 05:42 PM
im appearently only allowed to get a *catback* with my insurance, BUT that does not include the CAT...

says, i think, i can only change the piping frmo the CAT and the muffler.... but i cant change the actual hiflow or cat....

will that have any power gain? pros? cons? is there then a point? apart from looks?

SPEEDCORE
30-10-2003, 06:41 PM
Personally...... if you can't get insurance to cover a Full Exhaust.... don't bother with a new cat for just a cat back exhaust, I would only bother with a new cat if I was doing FE, (extractors,hi-flow cat, B pipe and muffler)

If you are adament about getting a highflow cat... just tell the insurance comp. that the old cat was rooted and needed replacing.

Civic Si
30-10-2003, 07:20 PM
U should get some gains, but u can't feel much if u just change to a CB system, but be careful when modifying your car cause they come so well tuned out of factory already as they are! :D

Sometimes modifications to your car could lose power if the wrong modifications are chosen. :cry:

Calvo
31-10-2003, 05:33 PM
*cough* gut ya cat

that didnt come from me... :D

eknine
01-11-2003, 10:19 AM
didn't know stock exhaust + cat cost so much:(

back to topic, Jone, didn't you say you found the muffler + piping + ...i can't remember some other post back..

anyway why don't you just change to the OEM muffler and say drop by fussy and get them to change you a bigger diameter pipe and maybe include a high flow cat.

i'm not a big fan of oem muffler- again i'm not sure if the oem ITR muffler will get you much, but i do know that if you change the piping, it will be darn loud. otherwise tangy shld be able to hook you up with imports stuff:)

here is fussy contact
Tan(manger)
02-9726-0058
0411-083-680
add: 16/26 Hume Hwy
Lansvale NSW 2166

if you are going, check out the bodykit shop across him, but give him a call and suss the quote first.

fried
01-11-2003, 05:14 PM
get the factory catback off a ITR
OEM and still get power gains

more power than a local custom catback setup tanghy? and also, how would an OEM ITR catback system cost vs. a local exhaust setup cost? and how hard are they to source? i doubt u can pop into ur local honda wrecker and "pick one up"? hehe.... :roll:
im also interested in throwing an exhaust onto my GSi.....

thanks, jon.

*.....post hijacking caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant!....*

joneblaze
01-11-2003, 06:04 PM
...yes...... yes i am..... 8)

thanks for the number Roy.

tanghy
01-11-2003, 07:00 PM
don't see the need to get such expensive catback for gsi
also no need to get big diameter piping for non vtec engine
anyway the point is so you can get yr insurance to cover u

also not a fan of local catbacks since they are sections of pipe welded together.

2nd hand itr catback = cheap good mod.

joneblaze
02-11-2003, 12:16 AM
don't see the need to get such expensive catback for gsi
also no need to get big diameter piping for non vtec engine
anyway the point is so you can get yr insurance to cover u

also not a fan of local catbacks since they are sections of pipe welded together.

2nd hand itr catback = cheap good mod.

nobody's yet stated what sort of gains i can expect from this mod.....
can anyone fill me in? will it be negligible? can someone be a little more technical than "its good" or "itll be better"? im rather new, so im interested....

tanghy
02-11-2003, 01:13 AM
you reckon honda upgraded the vtir catback to the type R one for neglible gains?

joneblaze
02-11-2003, 02:20 AM
you reckon honda upgraded the vtir catback to the type R one for neglible gains?

well if ppl keep saying "yeah itll be good get it" or "ull have an increase in gains" then im never going to learn am i?

joneblaze
02-11-2003, 02:21 AM

well if ppl just keep saying "yeah itll be good get it" or "ull have an increase in gains" without being more specific or technical then im never going to learn anything..... :roll:

tanghy
02-11-2003, 02:30 AM
i think most are reliant on the butt dyno. you going to believe that?

joneblaze
02-11-2003, 02:46 AM
i think most are reliant on the butt dyno. you going to believe that?

i have completely no understanding of what you just said.... :oops:

tanghy
02-11-2003, 03:18 AM
im in the same boat as eric for insurance reasons...).... any suggestions?

you said it yrself
get OEM and then not have problems with insurance

dc2r
02-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Dyno your car now with current exhaust setup.
Buy an ITR cat-back system and then dyno.
Compare the results.
Tell us your gains.
Next time someone asks for gains on it, we can tell them :D

joneblaze
02-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Dyno your car now with current exhaust setup.
Buy an ITR cat-back system and then dyno.
Compare the results.
Tell us your gains.
Next time someone asks for gains on it, we can tell them :D

wanna pay for the dyno runs and the 2nd hand ITR setup? lol

dc2r
02-11-2003, 11:31 PM
well hey, aren't you guys the one's asking us these questions and expecting that we will know the gains? all we can say is that it will improve your performance, but not give an exact percentage because we don't know anyone who has done it before. that's why you can be the mouse who tests it for us :D
as far as dyno's... i think u can get deals sometimes. i've heard about $30 ones and then maybe $40 or $50 too. so it's not that expensive if it will benefit you in the end.
and as for the ITR exhaust, i found a link for you, so enjoy :D
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114697

dc2r
02-11-2003, 11:34 PM
shit sorry... i didn't see the link was posted by someone else already :lol:
check it out anyway...

eknine
03-11-2003, 08:37 AM
Jone, i think the problem here is that no one has tried to do what you are doing. so be gald that you may be the first and in doing so if you take that step and go further on the dyno and if you managed some gains you can be "the man"<laffz>

well as you know, most of the guys are dyno believers, so that the only way to convince them that it actually works.

as for me, i'm not a fan of dyno nor a fan of local exhaust system, because simply the fact that like what tangy has mentioned it "...since they are sections of pipe welded together" this i have witness first hand.

i'm sure your insurance do allowed at least 2 mods, otherwise you can always loan my oem to compared with another ITR on da dyno- if you so wish to better gauge what is better for you:)..i'm sure someone here has the ITR for loan-

that the only thing i can do for you, in your quest of finding oems gains:)

joneblaze
03-11-2003, 09:03 AM
...hmm..thanks Roy...
i dunno dude. on further discussion im considering taking my ricey ass and just getting some custom 2.25" piping done... (straight thru? mandrel bent? wat was it again andrew? lol...) and throwing a nice fat N1 copy cannon on the end. :)
i mean as everyone else has said, my GSi IS non VTEC plus completely stock anyway, so the gains will be...... nothing to :roll: ur eyes at.... hehe. im in it as much for the sound and look as i am for the performance "gain". so according to a few ppl, the itr exhaust setup will be too soft and not ricey enough for my liking :)
Yes, its Rice, but hey, my first decent car, so might as well have a play with it before i elevate to "u ****ing riceboy with ur bling bling rims and negative hp mod canon n1 copy exhaust... how do u live with urself???" status! :D

fried
03-11-2003, 02:10 PM
funny how how i get an ear full of rah rah rah, bout rice etc, but in the end, jon wants to be like me :wink:

N1 angles yayayayayaya!!!!!! :lol: go the full *ahem* *muffler* setup....

*..yeah of course its straight through full exhuast system....* :roll:

Setanta
03-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Best bet is to do all 3 as there is a synergy withing their fitment. High-flow cat -> mandrel bent exhaust -> high flow muffler (no need for the riceboi cannister look). Approximate cost for my SiR was 700 bucks the lot fitted to my factory header (better than most cheap extractors).

AP1 F20c
03-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Just get what you want, who cares what other people think? Besides, it's your money not theirs. You live for yourself, not anyone else. Who cares about rice? I love riceboys. :arrow: