PDA

View Full Version : Where/ How to ground/earth Engine, manifold, alternator etc

CB7_OWNER
12-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi!

MY car is getting old.. and i noticed alot of the cables are starting to open up etc... just wondering if i get new cables...and want to improve the electric flow/discharge .. where should i put cables to earth them?

I heard people put them on their alternators, intake mani, engine cover..etc.. i just wanna know exactly..

Thanks

SuiJin
12-06-2008, 12:26 PM
get urself a pivot razin kit and follow the diy on the site, unless u want something cheaper or something more expensive, they do the same. pivot razin if in melb can be genuine for about 80-100

EKVTIR-T
12-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Save your money on that rice and just make a really nice heavy gauge ground yourself. :)

CB7_OWNER
12-06-2008, 12:37 PM
For Newer car's it might be rice.. but for car lyk mine which is 17 years old... it will actually get some gains back,, lyk better throttle response and smoother rev through out rev, possibly brighter headlights...."Apparently"

SuiJin
12-06-2008, 12:54 PM
my headlights are no longer dimming from my heavy bass.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76901&highlight=grounding
that's the wiring for the grounding kit to each of the component mentioned.

for the kit i obtained from a store, at mates rates.

aaronng
12-06-2008, 01:59 PM
I made my own from 4 gauge wiring that I bought from Jaycar. Check for existing grounds in your engine bay and replace those.

EGJOE
12-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey guys,
I have seen many hondas with their tappet covers grounded but unless its grounded where the bolts/nuts which actually hold the tappet cover on to the head it does nothing!
Correct me if im wrong but if you think about it the whole tappet cover is insulated from the head by rubber gaskets, last time i checked rubber dosen't conduct electricity.

JOE :cool:

aaronng
12-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Hey guys,
I have seen many hondas with their tappet covers grounded but unless its grounded where the bolts/nuts which actually hold the tappet cover on to the head it does nothing!
Correct me if im wrong but if you think about it the whole tappet cover is insulated from the head by rubber gaskets, last time i checked rubber dosen't conduct electricity.

JOE :cool:

Isn't the valve cover conductive?

EGJOE
12-06-2008, 03:58 PM
yeh but then where does the flow go???
The little washes under those nuts have rubber under them, sparkplug holes got rubbers seals, cover has a main seal, rubber cam seals. The cover is isolated form whole ground system. I'm sure only main cover fasteners connect to head.

JOE

EGJOE
12-06-2008, 04:01 PM
even those main fasteners are insulted from cover so unless actually touching the main nuts it aint grounding. Does that sound right?

JOE

EGJOE
12-06-2008, 04:07 PM
hmmm ok i take your word for it

Cheers :thumbsup:

EGJOE
12-06-2008, 04:15 PM
So where i circled with yellow in pic, if connected there is it still grounded? :confused:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn264/coldasjoe/ground.jpg

aaronng
12-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Why not connect the ground to the nut in between the 2 yellow circles?

EGJOE
12-06-2008, 04:22 PM
All the other nuts are fine to me except those ones. How do they ground?

aaronng
12-06-2008, 04:24 PM
All the other nuts are fine to me except those ones. How do they ground?

The spot I am referring to should be the stud which goes down into the head, which is a better place to ground since it bypasses the gaskets.

EGJOE
12-06-2008, 04:26 PM
yes totally agreed with thats what im trying to say :thumbsup:

CRXer
12-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Ground it at the yellow circles,u are right.

The idea is to ground the valve cover to the chassis,if u put it on the fastening studs,u are right,it is insulated through the washers.Then u will get eddy currents building up inside the valve cover from induction off the spark leads,not good.

aaronng
13-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Ground it at the yellow circles,u are right.

The idea is to ground the valve cover to the chassis,if u put it on the fastening studs,u are right,it is insulated through the washers.Then u will get eddy currents building up inside the valve cover from induction off the spark leads,not good.

Don't you need a magnetic field in order to generate Eddy currents?

CRXer
14-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Claymore,the B series rocker cover does not have any electrical contact whatsoever with the cylinder head,it is purely supported on rubber,the washers on the studs are also rubber,why do u think honda grounds them from the factory.

Oh & never heard of eddy currents,lol

Aarong as i said the eddy currents are induced by the high voltage in the spark leads(therefore by the associated magnetic field),which run closely associated with the metal that is the valve cover.These currents could possibly get to the magnitude of actually being able to jump the gap formed by the gasket & arc to the cylinder head.I'll let u imagine how this would affect certain sensors grounded via the cylinder head/thermo housing,that are trying to read very fragile signals as it is.

CB7_OWNER
14-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Okay... i've always wondered... everything has to eventually be grounded to the chassis in the engine bay some way or another, whether it be directly or in a circuit....

Now the chassis is riding on tyres? doesn't this mean the car is never actually grounded??

CRXer
14-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes,its sort of a loose term regarding the fact that the positive terminal is at a "higher" potential than the negative terminal,which is regarded as "low",ie at ground level or at reference level.Its got nothing to do with the actual physical ground which is the earth we stand on.

CB7_OWNER
14-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Soo then why does the negative terminal have to be "grounded" to the chassis?

aaronng
15-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Okay... i've always wondered... everything has to eventually be grounded to the chassis in the engine bay some way or another, whether it be directly or in a circuit....

Now the chassis is riding on tyres? doesn't this mean the car is never actually grounded??

Soo then why does the negative terminal have to be "grounded" to the chassis?

Because cars use a floating ground. Instead of the chassis actually touching the ground, it makes use of the negative terminal to define the ground. Without the negative terminal being connected to the chassis, nothing electrical will work because the circuit is not complete as claymore said!

CB7_OWNER
15-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Oo yeh.. i see...thnx for reply aaron and claymore