PDA

View Full Version : 3M Schotchgard Paint Protection Film

kanishkaz
13-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Hey Guys,

just wondering if anyone's put this on their car and how effective it is?

I'm getting my FN2 next week and was wondering if I should get this done as a lot of ppl say that you easily get paint chips on this car.

Cheers.

aaronng
13-06-2008, 04:08 PM
It is not bad. It protects only the bumper, lights and a bit of the bonnet. Also, you need to use a good place to apply it so that it fits properly and has no bubbles.

Shimian
13-06-2008, 05:53 PM
wouldnt mind getting a headlamp one. But cant find one cut to FD2.

kanishkaz
15-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Cheers

JaCe
15-06-2008, 01:33 PM
wouldnt mind getting a headlamp one. But cant find one cut to FD2.

Isn't this process pretty much just putting contact over your headlamps to help prevent chips? If that's the case, I'd be more worried about the bonnet than the headlamps mate. My bonnet is chipped in multiple places from a (short) road trip to Port Stephens but the headlamps are fine.

panda[cRx]
15-06-2008, 03:24 PM
u could always get some headlight and bonnet protectors fitted at delivery

howy
15-06-2008, 03:27 PM
those protectors make your car look ugly though...

Shimian
15-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Isn't this process pretty much just putting contact over your headlamps to help prevent chips? If that's the case, I'd be more worried about the bonnet than the headlamps mate. My bonnet is chipped in multiple places from a (short) road trip to Port Stephens but the headlamps are fine.

yea, both would be good. But ive read that those things are hard to cut to fit. Needs to be pre cut. Very hard to find for our FD

buddah51au
15-06-2008, 09:01 PM
i will stick with my car bra, it protects the complete front and a little over 1/2 the bonnet, can't go wrong for 350 bucks

moons
15-06-2008, 11:51 PM
those protectors make your car look ugly though...

I have OZI COZI fitted to my Type R and from a few metres back you cannot see it!

It's not one of those stupid car bras!

buddah51au
16-06-2008, 06:50 AM
I am the first to admit that a car bra does nothing for the looks of a car, but they are very effective in doing the job they are designrd to do. You could always pay a little extra and get a coloured bra to suit your car. But how about the 3M film as it ages and turns yellowish which is a common problem. Also the end result of the 3M product is dependant on the experience of the person applying it, and so far the product has not taken off in this country like in the USA, where it is quite common to see cars get the full 3M treatment as they are able to get sections large enough to cover a whole bonnet in 1 piece.......There is plenty of discussion about it on the 6speedonline forum under Porsche 997 section.

moons
16-06-2008, 09:36 PM
But how about the 3M film as it ages and turns yellowish which is a common problem.

Maybe I just believe the bullshit, but the VentureShield stuff OZI COZI fit doesn't yellow over time. In fact, 3M bought the company!

Also, I browsed the internet before making the decision and found few negative comments.

Also the end result of the 3M product is dependant on the experience of the person applying it

Agreed. Terrence - the guy who applied mine - wasn't very punctual but did a great job in applying the film. We also have a Golf GTI that he has covered for us and I have to say that we are extremely happy with both.

While it is obviously a matter of opinion, I have to say Car bras are one of the stupidest inventions ever - Kind of like wearing a paper bag over your head to avoid getting sunburnt.

Good idea for some, I suppose. :D

wassup
17-06-2008, 02:36 PM
I have OZI COZI fitted to my Type R and from a few metres back you cannot see it!

It's not one of those stupid car bras!

If you dont mind me asking how much did it cost? Can you just opt for the bonnet section only?

moons
17-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I paid just under $800 but I got a much larger covering than normal - About 3/4 of my bonnet and the entire front spoiler/front quarter panels.

I think a regular kit is about 500 squid. Not sure about a bonnet only kit but considering how bad the paint is, I'd opt for the lot.

I'd take photos but unfortunately my car is currently at the stealers. :(

sitta
17-06-2008, 11:01 PM
about the 3m paint guard. i know that by putting stickers on your car for a long time can affect the paint when you take it of since the rest of the car has been out in the sun while the part covered by the sticker never been exposed to the sun. When you take the paint guard which is a sticker thing will this create a different shade of paint on the car??

moons
17-06-2008, 11:09 PM
When you take the paint guard which is a sticker thing will this create a different shade of paint on the car??

http://www.ventureshield.com/

buddah51au
18-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Being a country car thet does most of its work on rural back raods i would opt for the car bra every time. However, if living in the city i would probably thing differently.

Maybe I just believe the bullshit, but the VentureShield stuff OZI COZI fit doesn't yellow over time. In fact, 3M bought the company!

Also, I browsed the internet before making the decision and found few negative comments.

Agreed. Terrence - the guy who applied mine - wasn't very punctual but did a great job in applying the film. We also have a Golf GTI that he has covered for us and I have to say that we are extremely happy with both.

While it is obviously a matter of opinion, I have to say Car bras are one of the stupidest inventions ever - Kind of like wearing a paper bag over your head to avoid getting sunburnt.

Good idea for some, I suppose. :D

moons
20-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Can you spot the film on these? :p

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2325/2384176273_a4fa403fb4_b.jpg

JaCe
24-06-2008, 09:19 PM
LOL they just look really really shiny.