PDA

View Full Version : Apexi V-afc

supernatural
16-09-2004, 11:34 PM
is it nessasary for a car with full exhaust system and air filter??

vtir22
17-09-2004, 01:27 AM
You'll have to define necessary :)

But yeah you can gain a handy amount of kw's if you tune your car to make use of the improved air flow characteristics. In fact a VAFC on a stock car can add 5-10kW pretty easily because most if not all cars are tuned rich from the factory (for reliability).

And it just so happens I have one for sale if you're interested :)

SiR JDM
17-09-2004, 09:32 AM
dont mean to hi-jack but does VAFC monitor fuel consumption etc?
Cuz i dunno about u tegra ppl but EG civic fuel meter is pretty off..
I like to monitor it to see any changes in my car and see if its driving normally etc...

vtir22
17-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Nope. VAFC doesn't monitor fuel consumption. It monitors

-Revs
-Throttle Position
-Intake air flow pressure (from a sensor in your intake)
-air/fuel ratio correction (% that you set)
-VTEC from the ecu
-VTEC from the VAFC,

I think that's it... But most importantly it looks cool :D

type one
17-09-2004, 10:40 AM
yeah agreed vtir22... it "helps" if you have some mods before you waste money to tune one in... not going to notice any serious performance gains form a v-afc alone...

i like to think of it as a smoothing tool... after you have light mods on the car...

monstaR
17-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Hey guys, was giving the vafc 2 some thought but was comparing it to a sard or aem fuel pressure regulator and was wondering if the Fuel press reg is better than the vafc 2 :confused: ?

type one
17-09-2004, 11:26 AM
they have different uses...

used in conjunction they can help a high hp n/a car... but again sard fpr not for mildly modified car... waste of time.

vtir22
17-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Yep, I'd hardly think you'd need a fuel pressure regulator unless you're pushing much higher numbers than stock. VAFC you could consider a 'fine tuning' mod.

Creative
18-09-2004, 02:03 PM
The Honda ECU will 'relearn' and over ride the vafc in about 2 weeks after having it tuned. Unless you wish to tune it every month - stay away from it :)

Dont get an FPR unless you drive a Turbo car imo...or are silly like me :)

SiR JDM
19-09-2004, 04:07 PM
The Honda ECU will 'relearn' and over ride the vafc in about 2 weeks after having it tuned. Unless you wish to tune it every month - stay away from it :)

Are you sure about this?
Why would Apexi create a product specifically designed for vtec machines (hence the V in VAFC), althought it can be used for Mivec also, that would be useful for only a couple weeks after tuning?
And why would people continue to buy this product and apexi release a 2nd version of it, if this was the case..

Im not saying your wrong, i just find it hard to beleive that that is the case

Creative
20-09-2004, 01:43 PM
All good :)

Im just going on what I have been told by about 3 or 4 people who drive Honda's.

As you said, I could be wrong....Im not 100% sure....:)

lerroy
20-09-2004, 02:48 PM
you are wrong the Honda computer doesnt overide the VAFC

my VTEC cut in point has stayed the same for a year after having the VAFC tuned

BF
20-09-2004, 08:32 PM
may aswel save ur money and get something better... if ur serious about it

spoondc2
21-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Yeah... agree, if money is not a problem, i prefer Apexi Power FC as ECU and VAFC for minor adjustments, for changes in atmosphere and temperature

type one
21-09-2004, 10:49 AM
just run a plug and play... easy and hassle free.

type one
21-09-2004, 12:58 PM
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0105tur_apex/

anyway have a read through the above link... has a good explanation of what it does and how to utilise it in the best format.