PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions. (EG efi, 89 crx DOHC zc motor)

OMG.JAI xD
13-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Hi.

So.
I have an EG hatch EFI, as some may already know.
No problems whatsoever.

However.
I recently purchased a zc DOHC motor, that came out of a 89 crx.
Couple of questions that may help me before I swap the motor around. =]

1.ZC DOHC is the same as d16a8 off the civic SI am I correct? If I am, does this mean that it is a straight bolt on using the d16 mounts?
If I am wrong. Does anybody know what I need to do to put the zc motor in the eg?

2.The Gearbox is a cable type gearbox. I want to keep the hydro type gearbox, while keeping the same internals. Can the internals be crossed over to a hydro box? or can i just buy the housing with hydro application.

3.Car comes with no extractors.
Will a d15/d16 extractor fit? Or will a b series extractors fit. Seeing as the zc is DOHC.

4.Will d16a8 driveshafts fit (I know I should really refer to gearbox number. but you know what I mean =]) or will my d15 driveshafts fit?

5.The zc is an OBD-0 and the my EG atm with the d15b7 is OBD-1.
What do I need to change if an aftermarket ECU is equipped with it?

Sorry in advance if any of those were nooby-ish questions.
The engine is yet to come.
Im still going to rebuild it once I get it. Just for the experience.

And if anyone is thinking why, did I get a zc motor when theres other options?
well, I got it for cheap. and its been worked top to bottom. and its something I would consider a highly modified n/a all motor setup.
Judging by the dyno sheets the owner gave me. 137atwkw for a zc is .. Impressive.

Thanks for all the help :cool:

blk_shadow
14-06-2008, 12:35 AM
137kwatw? dang...what it's got in it?

anyway,

yeah, D16a8 from Si or Concerto is similar to DOHC ZC (clutch is interchangeable).

you need to rewire from OBD0 to OBD1, or actually make a harness plug

here are some infos that you might want to read about ZC and parts to go around it when you're doing a swap:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/archive/index.php/f-10.html
http://thenew.gamesbbs.com/~dmoore/zc.htm

OMG.JAI xD
14-06-2008, 10:26 AM
derno yet.
all the guy knows is its running cummins racing internals and mugen cams :/
oh and its been bored out to 1.8L
ill post a thread once i get the engine up and running in the car . .etc etc.

it was thrashed. and has big end damage. thats why i got it for cheap =]

OMG.JAI xD
14-06-2008, 10:37 AM
oh and, what needs to be rewired ? :/
since its not OEM ecu.

and from that site you gave me.
should the si manual gbox bolt straight on?
cause the si gearbox is hydro isnt it?

rayb3na_
14-06-2008, 11:19 AM
dude u know you cant legally put a motor in the car thats older then the chasis right?

OMG.JAI xD
14-06-2008, 01:33 PM
dude u know you cant legally put a motor in the car thats older then the chasis right?

yeah I know.

Its the same as putting a turbo in a car and not engineering it, sort of.

blk_shadow
14-06-2008, 03:02 PM
oh and, what needs to be rewired ? :/
since its not OEM ecu.

and from that site you gave me.
should the si manual gbox bolt straight on?
cause the si gearbox is hydro isnt it?

you will have to find out whether the aftermarket ECU support OBD 0, 1 or 2. (different OBD means different number of wires, colour and function altogether) so you will need to connect the engine wiring to match the ECU's wiring and function. otherwise some of the sensors or functions won't work correctly and you will get engine check light.

basically if they are both different, then you will need to convert your engine's OBD to suit your ECU's OBD.

yeah, the mount should fit, according to the website.

OMG.JAI xD
14-06-2008, 05:20 PM
yeah, the mount should fit, according to the website.

I meant the box.
Will the si gearbox bolt straight on the zc block?

thnks :)

blk_shadow
14-06-2008, 11:34 PM
I reckon it should, but if anyone can confirm the otherwise.

czy_sol87
15-06-2008, 12:48 AM
yeah I know.

Its the same as putting a turbo in a car and not engineering it, sort of.

so ur not even gonna let the RTA(or whatever it is in syd) know that u've got a new motor?

thats gonna be an issue if u ever try to sell the car, or get pulled up by cops

raj
15-06-2008, 10:40 AM
137kwatw? dang...what it's got in it?

anyway,

yeah, D16a8 from Si or Concerto is similar to DOHC ZC (clutch is interchangeable).

you need to rewire from OBD0 to OBD1, or actually make a harness plug

here are some infos that you might want to read about ZC and parts to go around it when you're doing a swap:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/archive/index.php/f-10.html
http://thenew.gamesbbs.com/~dmoore/zc.htm

But the D16A8 has two different kind of clutch, they have different number of teeth some off them. i know cause im trying to buy clutch for my crx D16A8. i have to open it to find out how many teeth its got. unless you know of a way to find out which clutch i need with out opening it. that would be a big help.

OMG.JAI xD
15-06-2008, 10:26 PM
so ur not even gonna let the RTA(or whatever it is in syd) know that u've got a new motor?

thats gonna be an issue if u ever try to sell the car, or get pulled up by cops

correct me if im wrong, but cops for some reason rarely check engine numbers.
probably only highway patrol know enough to actually differ between engines.
of all my mates that has been pulled over, only one that had a major defect got his engine number checked.
I mean cmon. Have you ever met a cop that called a whale penis intake a turbo?

I'll have the other motor laying around.
if I do sell the car I'll just ask if they want the old motor back in.
d15b7, probs doesnt even go for 1grand with gearbox.
I'm only doing it for the experience and the fun.
If I do get done for it then oh well. You only live once, might as well. If i wanted to actually do something that i can register on the roads legally I'd have to save heaps of expenses, this and that..
I'll do that later down the track.
For now I'll stick to this =]

bennjamin
15-06-2008, 10:29 PM
not cops its the EPA issues.
Engines from OBD0 era are different slightly to OBD1 engines (92-95) , and then again to OBD2 etc.

FYI , the D16A8 engine , head and inlet manifold can be reused on your EG si - you just gotta swap over all the sensors etc. Also the dizzy and remove the CAM on the exhaust cam end ( this is internal to the OBD1 dizzy)

OMG.JAI xD
15-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I have a Gli.
and the only thing i wanna really swap over from an si is the gbox.
Im not putting up with cable. :/
If i tend to leave the OBD0 that is already on the engine, what do i need rewire or get harnesses for, for everything to work? or is there a OBD0 to OBD1 harness "kit" that has all the wiring needed for me all in one package?
Will i need a wiring diagram by anychance?

oh and just a note. from this message onwards can we not discuss any form of authorities issues concerning my so called "project". =D

thanks all so far.

Dems
16-06-2008, 07:40 PM
zc is exactly same as d16a8, see threadclick here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90693)

legally it's a bad idea, also this is the motor off ebay yeah? tread carefully as i thinks some crx boys checked it out and it seemed suss. also 137kw is a little high. any receipts for the mods on the engine?

maybe best option is to convert to obd-1, did any D16a8 come out as 0bd1?. requries dizzy and a few other bits and pieces.

good luck, oh p.s. cops will check engine numbers, in vic we have the engine number on the rego sticker and i always see cops double checking.

OMG.JAI xD
17-06-2008, 08:53 PM
zc is exactly same as d16a8, see threadclick here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90693)

legally it's a bad idea, also this is the motor off ebay yeah? tread carefully as i thinks some crx boys checked it out and it seemed suss. also 137kw is a little high. any receipts for the mods on the engine?

maybe best option is to convert to obd-1, did any D16a8 come out as 0bd1?. requries dizzy and a few other bits and pieces.

good luck, oh p.s. cops will check engine numbers, in vic we have the engine number on the rego sticker and i always see cops double checking.

yeh it is the ebay one.
and he has a dyno sheet.
im stripping the thing anyway.
the engines been worked on top to bottom. all he knows (since he only purchased it, not actually build or was there for the build) is that it consists of cummins racing internals, mugen cams and a mine's ecu. and its been bored out to 1.8L.

still dunt know. hes trying to get intouch with the courier company. since itll be the only item sent for that day.

i think d16a8 is OBD1. well the ones in the 92-95 civic should be.
unless i get just get a conversion harness.. thatll help heaps.

bennjamin
17-06-2008, 09:02 PM
i think d16a8 is OBD1. well the ones in the 92-95 civic should be.
unless i get just get a conversion harness.. thatll help heaps.

the d16a8 comes in a few different cars , two of which are OBD0 ( the ED8 crx) and OBD1 ( EG Si )