PDA

View Full Version : Head Shave

Rowie
30-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Okay, i got quoted $60 to get my head shaved

I know this wont make much diffrence to the car. But I have been told it will increase the torque by a little bit, and also give a slight power increase. (probably not noticable)

Main reason for doing this is cause its cheap, and why the hell not.

And later on maybe get some head and valve work done.

Has anyone else just had just the head shaved??? or have any opinions on this subject?

cheers,

Rowie

wynode
30-10-2003, 04:44 PM
$60???

Sounds too cheap to me. Who said this and what exactly does he/she plan on doing?

Rowie
30-10-2003, 04:52 PM
just a simple machine shave of the head to lower compression :?

Rowie
30-10-2003, 04:53 PM
thats of course with me doing all the labour, taking it out of the car and putting back in.

wynode
30-10-2003, 05:14 PM
thats of course with me doing all the labour, taking it out of the car and putting back in.

OK That makes more sense ;)

Haven't though of getting a thinner head gasket?......actually you might be hard pressed finding one for your motor.........in which case its prob. better to shave the head ;)

Whats the estimated increase in compression?

Rowie
30-10-2003, 05:18 PM
not sure on the compression increase...... i dont even know what it is at the moment.

will be interesting to try out i guess :D

wynode
30-10-2003, 05:20 PM
How much is he going to shave it?

Might wanna do a compression test before and after too ;)

SPEEDCORE
30-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Dude.... I would get the whole thing done at once.... ie. P&P, 3 Angle and head shave. Why bother spending time and money... H/G aren't that cheap (well not to me anyway :wink: ) on removing the head just to skim some metal off it and throw it back on top of the block.....

BLKCRX
31-10-2003, 04:47 PM
At the same time get a head VRS kit, replace all seals and gaskets, even the valve guides and install over size valves. although I’m not in favour of machining the head, would rather use positive shaped valves or high comp pistons or a thinner head gasket, changing the physical size of the head chamber is opening up a huge can of worms. Also remember to replace the head bolts they can not be reused, or invest in some ARP studs which are reusable.

You also should invest in a ecu to program to take full advantage as by increasing compression you will lean out the engine which could result in bang bang bang...and all your money down the drain.

Regards James

SPEEDCORE
01-11-2003, 03:55 PM
O/S ??

Civic Si
01-11-2003, 06:49 PM
Sorry...it means Oversize :oops:

SPEEDCORE
01-11-2003, 10:38 PM
You mean as in thickness???

This is just a personal opinion but I would steer clear of a O/S headgasket. I would try to source a thin metal item.... as an O/S one in my view would be more susecptable to blowing... even more so when increasing the pressures within the cylinders.

I'm not sure what engine Rowie was making reference to but a B16 will not have clearance issues with a modest decking, running a thin ie. 2 layer H/G..... if that is what you where concerned with to make reference to a O/S headgasket

Civic Si
02-11-2003, 08:24 PM
I meant if u shave da head, u'd need a O/S Head gasket... :oops:

SPEEDCORE
03-11-2003, 01:28 AM
I meant if u shave da head, u'd need a O/S Head gasket... :oops:

Nope...... O/S compared to OEM? What would be the point in trying to increase the "squelch area" with a thicker HG if you have just shaved the head to decrease the "squelch area" to increase CR...

"squelch area" sorry my dodgy terminology.. you guys know what I mean though! :oops:

Setanta
03-11-2003, 04:06 PM
just a simple machine shave of the head to lower compression :?

Don't you mean to raise compression? :P

It can work well... or not. I remember running a shaved P&P head on an EB motor and watching the bubbles in the oil as it cracked :?

Personally I'd qustion how it changes the dynamics of piston -> valve clearance - the D15B is an interference motor remember. It might not make any difference, but check anyway. Toss the head bolts etc (I think someone else said this too) and get the valves done as well while it's all apart.

Rufes1
12-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Hmm,

Why bother spending money at all on the d15b4.

Theres a few good cheap/easy carb mods going around for it, the jackson racing one for e.g

if you want details I researched it a bit a while back, pm me for details.

I also tried to get hold of a crow cam, however they couldnt back order it or even custom grind...

Other more extreme mods you can do is to polish the carb throats, and grind down the protruding screws on the butterfly venturi's, for better airflow. Some people also machine the carb throats out by 1 millimetre, but then you have to get venturi's that fit properly. This mod is SAID to add 20HP, but so are cannon mufflers :lol::roll: After that, you source larger jets from Harley Davidson bike dealerships, seeing as Harleys use the same, or similar carbs, on their engines.

onabuzz
30-08-2004, 10:20 PM
will it honestly do much? im sick of this lack of power! vtec me!!

ProECU
31-08-2004, 12:52 PM
There is no point in going larger oversize valves if your port runners, seat radii & piston valve reliefs are in stock trim.

VTEChnique
31-08-2004, 04:21 PM
I think $60 was the price to literally shave the HAIR off your head HAHAHAH

man just spend a few hundred and buy my D16 SOHC VTEC :)

tinkerbell
31-08-2004, 05:08 PM
*sigh*

just thought i would mention that if you shave your head you retard your cam timing slightly... (which can be fixed by adj. cam gears)

i shaved the B20VTEC's head to raise compression, took off 30 thou and this increased compression by about 1/2 a point...

and yes, i did clay the engine for piston to valve clearance once this was done...

SIKCVC
31-08-2004, 06:08 PM
From what I've been told isn't a better idea to buy High comp pistons?

I know skimming is an unreal idea on some cars, but been told pistons are a far better and wiser choice.

I know my dad skimmed a 1200 mini years ago by 60tho... it wheel spun in ever gear. not just chirp. The engine didn't last long BUT IT WORKS!!!

CHU85
31-08-2004, 06:26 PM
everything to be replaced is going to cost way more than the shave itself. So think is it really worth it to spend about 600+ for a genuine vrs kit and only have a $60 job done than won't really do anything?

Think about it!

Rowie
01-09-2004, 01:07 AM
if you didnt notice, this post is 12months old..... point taken ;)

tinkerbell
01-09-2004, 10:08 AM
if you didnt notice, this post is 12months old..... point taken ;)

yeah, still doesnt stop peeps from posting tripe though!