PDA

View Full Version : how i got me a stone-age odyssey

Simmo2302
14-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Well i had a 02 gli civic gold edition, which i had lined up for sale at 13,000 but due to complications with the missus pregnancy i found myself in brisbane (4hrs south) and needing to get rid of it at last minute to try an get an odyssey (4th kid on the way)

so i unfortunately had to swallow my pride and let my baby civic go for a trade in of 8,000. :-( i rang EVERY car yard, etc all over brisbane and 8 - 9 was the best anyone would do, and not many ppl had odyssey's 4 sale.

so with no $ (had to stop work for 2 months to look after missus and 3 kids and go on to dole) and only the civic to use as a means to get an odyssey my options were limited to:

1996 odyssey excellent condition 225,000kms - $12,000

1998 odyssey bomb, oil leaks everywhere, 330,000kms, could have found a better odyssey at a wreckers - $8,000

1997 odyssey good conditon, 10,000

and 1997 odyssey 297,000kms poor condition. $8,000

now only the two 8,000 ones i could get (even trying to talk the others down didnt work). so i went for the last odyssey which was the lesser of 2 evils.

but as the dealer took it to thier mechanic to a final check b4 signing the papers it was found to have alot of probs which they spend 3 hours fixing leaving me 3 kids and a veery pregnant wife stranded in the sun at the dealer

so from a lot of complaining and bitching i convinced them so sell me their company car. a silver 95 odyssey with only 225,000kms great condition for a swap for the civic (tried talking them into owing me $2,000 as the 95 odyssey was worth less then the 97 one they tried selling me but didnt work.)

took the stone-age odyssey to a local mechaninc my family in brissy knew well and found 1cv boot, 1 steering boot, 1 worn engine mount (front), and 1 steering rack mount, and 1 leaky "O" ring dizzy, needed replacing, not too bad considering the age of the car.

so took it back to dealer and got everything fixed.

i have triend looking on this site, but no-one seems to have an odyssey around this age, or even talk about ones this age.

is their anything i can to do make this car not seem so stone-age, visual or performance enhancements ?

its the old RA1 odyssey 6 seater built september 95.

slidetaker
16-06-2008, 09:17 AM
is their anything i can to do make this car not seem so stone-age, visual or performance enhancements ?

Depends on your budget.

From a basic tune-up and a can of WD40 with some clean cloths, to a complete engine over-haul and respray.

egSi
17-06-2008, 08:43 PM
nice pick up mate.

there are parts for it, but i thought u said you didnt have much money?

i am sorta confused lol

My wife and I are going to buy an Odyssey when we have kids in a few years, even know what colour lol :p

Simmo2302
17-06-2008, 09:04 PM
didnt have much money when i had to get it, had to take 2 months off due to complications so i only had the civic as a bargaining chip.

started working again as of this week so back to $700 -$1000 per week now, plus tax time soon :-)

egSi
21-06-2008, 08:25 AM
cool ^ :thumbsup:

well u can start with nice springs and shocks. a simple intake and exhaust.

is it auto?

also if i was you id look at upgrading or at least ensuring your brakes ar 100% considering you will be driving your kids around.

imho, your first mod should be a drop K&N Panel filter with a cold air feed. :thumbsup:

Simmo2302
21-06-2008, 03:20 PM
cool ^ :thumbsup:

well u can start with nice springs and shocks. a simple intake and exhaust.

is it auto?

also if i was you id look at upgrading or at least ensuring your brakes ar 100% considering you will be driving your kids around.

imho, your first mod should be a drop K&N Panel filter with a cold air feed. :thumbsup:

1. yes its auto all 95's were :-(
2. brakes all good made sure of that myself
3. has a very funny air intake, will have to draw a pic or take photos to explain. alot of turning back onto itself, and pipes that go nowhere.

MZ3
22-06-2008, 02:26 PM
congrats on an odyssey

MZ3
22-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Well... I would be interested as well as my parents own a 1998 odyssey.. with.. 48K km's on it!! Bought it brand new. [had to wait 4 months] Fantastic condition. The only thing i've done is put a k&N pod filter.. and change the brakepads as the OEM ones are harsh

But then.. they might be selling it soon for a new odyssey when it comes out.

Show us some pics mate.. They are a great reliable car

Heres some of ours

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/darkauthority/My%20Mazda%203/DSCF7026.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/darkauthority/My%20Mazda%203/DSCF7025.jpg

Simmo2302
23-06-2008, 04:59 AM
Well... I would be interested as well as my parents own a 1998 odyssey.. with.. 48K km's on it!! Bought it brand new. [had to wait 4 months] Fantastic condition. The only thing i've done is put a k&N pod filter.. and change the brakepads as the OEM ones are harsh

can u get a pic on how u put the pod in ? what brake pads r u using ? i thought oem were better than stuff like ferodo etc.

MZ3
23-06-2008, 05:16 AM
I'll try and take a pic later this arvo

Basically, you can just remove the whole box off.. and put the pod at the end of the plastic piping.

I really cant remember what brakepads we've put on it.. but OEM brakepads tend to go shit if you dont use the car that much. Also.. it wears the discs a little more. Hence why the discs actually warped at 35K's.

Also, i'm sure you can do the same with the pod as the Pre 97 odyssey's run F22A's 2.2L non-vtec and my friend has a 1991 accord with the same engine with a pod[3in pod].. so it should be the same. This odyssey has the Vtec 2.3L F23ab =P... sohc vtec..

I have to say though.. nothing has really gone wrong with the car.

Went into around 2003 for an ignition recall
and thats it. Even the trim is all intact. Engine still like brand new... [always been running Honda 10w30 oil] Pretty damn good for a 10 year old car

Spoon-Accord
23-06-2008, 09:57 AM
gee 48000 k's on the clock! thats a mint odyssey.

my dad picked one up exactly the same as yours simmo, but its burgandy.

engine done around 280 thousand clicks and the whole car was keyed, paid 2k for it as far as i remembered.

car is blowing abit of smoke now on take off, but the car is still strong (wierd but true)

if the engine dies, i am gonna take if off my old man and slap in a H22a, just for a nice cruiser,

i'll try and get some pictures of it and show u what a 330 thousand km's car looks like Keyed all the way round lol

ken

egSi
23-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Odysseys are dope imo.

Looks wise id love to see a 95 model, dumped with some low offset BBS/Mesh sorta wheels that stick out a lil bit.

real cool imo :thumbsup:

Riviera
23-06-2008, 05:21 PM
i just got back from nz on saturdaya nd saw many of those odesseys dumped
with bodykits on em i had to look twice to see what model it was lol
they looked so nice, there was even a taxi with a bodykit and chromes lol