PDA

View Full Version : Thin metal inside a groove of disk pad caliper?

zillah
14-06-2008, 09:07 PM
I am not sure what those metals named or called, when I tried to replace the disc pads for my honda Odyssey 2000 2.3 L I found that there are thin metals inside a groove of each caliper.

Two of these metals got damaged, if I did not use them, would that affect the performance of the brakes ?

Thanks

Note: I did not mean the piece of metal that cover the back of each pad itself, which is called shim I guess.

bennjamin
14-06-2008, 09:24 PM
you mean on the OUTSIDE of each pad ? Its a flat metal piece that comes off the pad itself ? Its a "shim".

You can run without them 100% fine. IT may make some noise when breaking first thing in the morning but no issues.

zillah
14-06-2008, 09:55 PM
you mean on the OUTSIDE of each pad ? Its a flat metal piece that comes off the pad itself ? Its a "shim".
I did not mean a shim.

My concern is about other thin metal resides inside the groove on a caliper

bennjamin
14-06-2008, 10:01 PM
oh you mean that which sits on teh end of both pads - it "holds/guides" the pad inplace. Kinda like a flat spring ? They can be removed and no issue.

if thats it lol

quadrio
15-06-2008, 12:43 AM
you will probably find that the pads will knock on application without them, because now the pads can move up and down in the caliper

ACTI0NMAN-1
15-06-2008, 12:45 AM
you will probably find that the pads will knock on application without them, because now the pads can move up and down in the caliper

then you would use a brake 'stop squeel' paste. its like a sticky silicone.

zillah
15-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys for these feedbacks

LiKPiC
07-10-2008, 09:42 PM
isnt he talking about the 'pad retainer'?

i also have the same question(s).
1. can you run the brakes without the pad retainers?
2. where can you buy them?

thepope1986
08-10-2008, 05:42 PM
actually itll be a wear indicator. when the pads get to a certain level the metal tang will rub against the disc and squeal.

aaronng
08-10-2008, 06:19 PM
actually itll be a wear indicator. when the pads get to a certain level the metal tang will rub against the disc and squeal.

No, he meant the pad retainer/aligner thing. The things that are slightly spring-like and help prevent the pad from moving. I'd prefer to have them on, because any vibration in the pad is bad as it will wear out the caliper's piston seal. I've seen it happen on an RX-8 with aftermarket pads (which had a slight play in it).

OMG.JAI xD
08-10-2008, 06:30 PM
No, he meant the pad retainer/aligner thing. The things that are slightly spring-like and help prevent the pad from moving. I'd prefer to have them on, because any vibration in the pad is bad as it will wear out the caliper's piston seal. I've seen it happen on an RX-8 with aftermarket pads (which had a slight play in it).

:thumbsup:

keep em on man
if something has a spring tension its there for a reason.
and its brakes youre talking about.
safety first =]

LiKPiC
08-10-2008, 08:15 PM
ok, so does anyone know where to buy them from?

aaronng
08-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Wreckers or the dealer. For a car from 99, you'd have better luck at the wreckers.