PDA

View Full Version : Clutch All The Way In?

M@lew
15-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Ordered my Silver VTi-S Jazz yesterday. (yay :D) Can't pick it up until Wed but took it for a test drive. It's been 6 months since I've driven a manual car (which is when I got my P's) and I'm still pretty confused as to whether or not I should be moving with the clutch all the way pressed in.

i.e. I'm slowing down to stop at a light which is still a bit away but on a down hill slope or when turning a sharp corner and I pressed the clutch in while braking/turning.

The Jazz is a lot smoother than the car I learnt in and I couldn't really "feel" it shuddering when it really wanted me to downshift. So is this clutch scenario good or bad or just normal?

lukecivic
15-06-2008, 01:07 PM
i think you should press it in completely to completely disengage it, if you dont it my 'ride' causing it to wear out earlier

zco
15-06-2008, 01:52 PM
always be in the correct gear before entering the turn and whne you turn, you can then concentrate on turning/braking/acclerating..

when you're used to driving manual, you can then do what ever feels good

aaronng
15-06-2008, 02:05 PM
When you are braking or turning, NEVER press the clutch in. You only clutch in when you are changing gears or when you are coming to a full stop and your speed is too low to be in gear.

mars_panas
15-06-2008, 02:08 PM
When you are braking or turning, NEVER press the clutch in. You only clutch in when you are changing gears or when you are coming to a full stop and your speed is too low to be in gear.

Yeah what aaronng says... use clutch only when u are changing gears or coming to a complete stop....

when u coming to a stop just leave it on gear and when u are about to stop quickly put clutch in then shift to neutral and use ur brakes to stop :p

M@lew
15-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Alrity I'll keep that in mind. :) But when you say I have to be in the right gear to turn, what if that would be the revs would shoot up if I downshift because I'm going too fast? Still do it or should I try and rev match?

Elwood
15-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Are we talking about street, or track?

I assume street - just be in the highest possible gear that allows you not to stall.. If it is a sharp corner and you must slow down, shift down before the corner and then leave it in gear.

You wont need to be at 7k RPM at anytime.

M@lew
15-06-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm guessing this'll all come with experience.

I ask this because yesterday when I was driving and came to a corner I was in 4th and downshifted to 3rd. Having stalled when I was taking a similar corner in 3rd when I was learning manual I wasn't sure if the car would stall or not so when reaching the slowest speed I pressed the clutch all the way in to make sure it didn't stall, then upon exiting the corner I went to 2nd and on my way.

I think I'm making this more complicated than it really is. =p Thanks for the suggestions guys.

dc2dc2dc2
15-06-2008, 03:14 PM
lolz i use to do that as a learner
hold clutch in whilst i turned
instructor would always tell me off
But yeh..
should always change down to the gear u want
let clutch go and turn
shouldn't be holding clutch in whilst turning at all.

sassy_fit_vtit
15-06-2008, 03:51 PM
whilst approaching the corner downshift until you find that your car is in a comfortable gear to acelerating through the corner.

Practice makes perfect and every car is different. you'll get the hang of it soon

Red_EG4
15-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm guessing this'll all come with experience.

I ask this because yesterday when I was driving and came to a corner I was in 4th and downshifted to 3rd. Having stalled when I was taking a similar corner in 3rd when I was learning manual I wasn't sure if the car would stall or not so when reaching the slowest speed I pressed the clutch all the way in to make sure it didn't stall, then upon exiting the corner I went to 2nd and on my way.

I think I'm making this more complicated than it really is. =p Thanks for the suggestions guys.

in that case I think you should have gone down to second before the corner, let the clutch pedal out and applied slight throttle through the corner.

M@lew
15-06-2008, 04:48 PM
So from 4th -> 2nd straight?

mars_panas
15-06-2008, 05:46 PM
normally i take turns in 2nd gear... it really depends how slow u approach the turn... if u still not feeling it still i remember when i was a beginner i normally put it on neutral and wait till i turn and then shift back to 2 hahaha

aaronng
15-06-2008, 05:47 PM
So from 4th -> 2nd straight?

I prefer 4-3-2 to preserve the synchros. One way is to clutch in, push the stick from 4th to 3rd to 2nd, and then blip the throttle and release the clutch. You don't need to release the clutch in 3rd gear.

M@lew
15-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Ah ok. My instructor told me it doesn't matter so much if I skipped gears but if I can just go 4-3-2 without taking my foot off the clutch I'll try and do that.

aaronng
15-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Ah ok. My instructor told me it doesn't matter so much if I skipped gears but if I can just go 4-3-2 without taking my foot off the clutch I'll try and do that.

Yup, that will have less synchro wear going 4-3-2 than if you went 4-2. Of course, if it is a matter of life and death, just go 4-2! :)

VTECMACHINE
16-06-2008, 05:15 PM

Well said.

VTECMACHINE
16-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Yup, that will have less synchro wear going 4-3-2 than if you went 4-2. Of course, if it is a matter of life and death, just go 4-2! :)

I always go 5 - 3.

RtN
16-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I prefer 4-3-2 to preserve the synchros. One way is to clutch in, push the stick from 4th to 3rd to 2nd, and then blip the throttle and release the clutch. You don't need to release the clutch in 3rd gear.

is there a technical explanation? =]

bcoz a friend of mine said that if you go through 4-3-2 regardless of rev match wears out your synchros.. and if you do it his way which is 4 - neutral - 2nd (inc. double clutch) then turn or something it saves it from wearing out faster... and yeh every1 else tells me 4-3-2 is best. So can someone confirm =]

aaronng
16-06-2008, 10:26 PM
is there a technical explanation? =]

The input shaft is sped up in small increments by going from 4-3-2 because 4-3 is taken by the 3rd gear synchro and then 3-2 is taken by the 2nd gear synchro. If you went 4-2, then you have 1 big increment and it is all taken by the 2nd gear synchro, thus prematurely wearing them.

RtN
16-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks a lot aaronng.. i'd rep if i had enough points =[

jzdhgkd
16-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Out of curiousity, do they teach/expect you to rev-match when you're on your learners going for your manual red p's?

aaronng
16-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Depends on the instructor, but usually they don't teach you to rev match. Revmatching is just get a smooth clutch release anyway. Doesn't save synchros unless you are double clutching.

You can learn to rev match yourself anyway.

Crapdaz
17-06-2008, 09:18 AM
you brake to the speed you want and/or down shift > *optional* brake> turn> accelerate out.

Note: either downshift before your turn or brake before turn.
NEVER brake whilst turning and have clutch in.

williamwong
20-06-2008, 01:44 AM
NEVER brake whilst turning and have clutch in.

shiatt.. why not? care to explain? farkkk i have been doin that for the past year lmao.

RtN
20-06-2008, 02:02 AM
Same!! well not braking but clutch in and turn when im @ parking lot with speed humps and a turn right after also im on gear 1 there and its like 10km/h or something lol.

aaronng
20-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Same!! well not braking but clutch in and turn when im @ parking lot with speed humps and a turn right after also im on gear 1 there and its like 10km/h or something lol.

That's fine, because it is too low a speed to stay smooth and not end up stalling the engine or shooting over a speed bump.

M@lew
20-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Just realised today that sometimes my Jazz doesn't like going into first properly. It'll half go in my when I try to take off it'll only go about half a meter until it stalls.

I'm pretty sure I read about this a week or two ago about some cars needing you to do something (I think it was 2 -> 1) otherwise it won't let you go into first as a safety measure. Can anyone confirm this?

aaronng
20-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Just realised today that sometimes my Jazz doesn't like going into first properly. It'll half go in my when I try to take off it'll only go about half a meter until it stalls.

I'm pretty sure I read about this a week or two ago about some cars needing you to do something (I think it was 2 -> 1) otherwise it won't let you go into first as a safety measure. Can anyone confirm this?

It is NOT a safety measure. You need to match the input shaft speed to the gear speed. Also, if you can stall it in 1st, that means it is in gear. You need more revs to take off.

M@lew
21-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Trust me I was giving it plenty of revs. It just seemed that every time I matched friction and started moving, as soon as I lifted the clutch slowly and took my foot off it the car would stall. This was on a hill for both times that it happened and the car engine was pretty "cold".

jzdhgkd
23-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Depends on the instructor, but usually they don't teach you to rev match. Revmatching is just get a smooth clutch release anyway. Doesn't save synchros unless you are double clutching.

You can learn to rev match yourself anyway.

Ah I see!
I'm practising rev matching myself anyway, was just wondering if it was a.. 'state recognised technique' or whatever ;D

Cheers for the reply!