PDA

View Full Version : Honda information tid bits

Dxs
30-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Hey guys, well i was speaking to a guy at honda and he gave me little tid bits of information. These aint major bits of info. but i just thought i would 'spread the knowledge' to the honda community. :p

1) You should use geniune honda oil filters and not the ones repco sell (cant remember the exact name brand, but repco do sell them). According to him this is because the material in the honda oil filters absorb some oil, so when you start the engine there is already some oil near the top of the engine, which reduces wear. And that the repco ones do not absorb oil.

2) Honda oil FEO or whatever it is called. Comes from a refinery in Japan and is bottled by Castrol. But the oil is not produced by Castrol or any other big oil refiner, comes from their own?

3) When asking about a friends engine light. He said it most likely comes on due to a rooted Oxygen Sensor from usuing low grade fuel, such as safeway fuel (shit from indonesia)

4) Should always use Honda power steering fluid (a lot of people know this already). This is because the honda fluid has an anti-expanding agent (or something like that) where as other brands dont. And the other brands expand and then blow the powersteering seals, which costs bigs to replace (i read like 600 bucks somewhere).

5) With the new 7th gen accords (according to this honda guy) the american widebody is crap because it is made in thailand amoung other things, but the Euro is decent because it is a typical decent japanese honda.

So yeah, there are some little honda related bits of info you might find useful.
If any of you guys have any more info like this please add it to this thread (this thread could end up being half decent).

-Dxs

vti-2
30-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks for that Dan!

Setanta
30-10-2003, 10:27 PM
I still hold that Mobil 1 > then FEO. When I used FEO it was quite gritty and darkened faster than Mobil 1.

It's interesting to note that the filters are often made in different countries. Honda has supplied me ones from a variety of different places of manufacture but all have been better than the repco etc ones.

Dxs
31-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Yeah, never said that FEO was the best shit around. (would never think that either).
Just thought I would give some information about it. 8)

Dream`R
03-11-2003, 04:22 PM
I'm not accusing anyone of anything, so don't take this the wrong way.
But do you think he could be a bit biased with his information, seeing that he works for honda?

Dxs
03-11-2003, 04:43 PM
thats a good point, and ofcourse i thought about that when he was speaking to me. But he seemed genuine. And why would he say that a model he is selling is crap (the widebody accord). And with the filter all he said was get anything except the repco one.. and we ask why etc etc.
anyway....

jenova
03-11-2003, 10:14 PM
does he reckon we should service our cars at honda as well?

EG_2_TEG
04-11-2003, 08:47 PM
i'm currently usin all genuine Honda lubricants in da car except for my transmission oil.

has all sorts of probs after puttin geniune Honda transmission oil in da car :?