PDA

View Full Version : Motor confusion, EG/EF civics?

civic_man
16-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey everyone,
I've been trying to rectify my confusion through the search i have done.

EG civic,
I am looking to buy this one at the moment. Could someone please quote what engine it is? It looks like a d15 fuel injected motor. Was the d16 only available in the VTI model?
http://i8.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/f6/8a/c671_1.JPG

And EF civics, did they only come with the d15 carby motor in the local domestic market?
Thanks
Adrian

EG3B16
16-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Dude y dont u look up the engine number on the front?

That should tell you easily.

Chassis Engine USDM / JDM / EDM Body Style

EG1 D15B JDM All 3-door/4-door/
EG2 B16A JDM All 3-door/4-door/
EG3 D13B JDM All 3-door/4-door
EG4 D15B JDM All 3-door/4-door/
EG5 D16Z6 EDM All 3-door/4-door
EG6 B16A JDM All 3-door/4-door/
EG7 D13B JDM All 3-door/4-door
EG8 D15B JDM All 3-door/4-door/
EG9 B16A JDM All 3-door/4-door/

EG30
16-06-2008, 03:19 PM
looks like a D series carbie jobbie to me

if you see the car in person, always a good idea to take down the engine and chassis/VIN number.

LUD35
16-06-2008, 03:29 PM
yeah. its a carby - the owner has put a pod filter on it...thats pretty hilarious and would most likely slow the motor down(if any) as there is a filter already in the carby casing itself haha ROFL

i beleive the aussie model GL's came with with the carby mounted to the rear of the motor - if you have a look in the photo the black casing near the firewall in line with the rocker cover - thats the carby itself. so i think...and dont quote me on this. the motor itself would be the d15b GL model EG.

Not 100% sure about the EF models...I THINK that the EF models never came out with VTEC(either sohc or dohc) in the AUDM so that helps in answering your question - although not fully. my apoligies

hope that helps

EG3B16
16-06-2008, 03:31 PM
yeah. its a carby - the owner has put a pod filter on it...thats pretty hilarious and would most likely slow the motor down(if any) as there is a filter already in the carby casing itself haha ROFL

i beleive the aussie model GL's came with with the carby mounted to the rear of the motor - if you have a look in the photo the black casing near the firewall in line with the rocker cover - thats the carby itself. so i think...and dont quote me on this. the motor itself would be the d15b GL model EG.

Not 100% sure about the EF models...I THINK that the EF models never came out with VTEC(either sohc or dohc) in the AUDM so that helps in answering your question - although not fully. my apoligies

hope that helps

definately looks like a GL to me too..:D

civic_man
16-06-2008, 05:14 PM
On the motor itself it says its a 1.6 litre. He mentioned that.
So that thing on the back would actually be the air filter?
What a wierd system that is.

EG30
16-06-2008, 06:30 PM
never mind what he mentioned, verify the engine number on the engine casting yourself before speculating what type engine exactly it could be.

vietmofo
16-06-2008, 07:25 PM
yeah it looks like a carby...does the EG have a sunroof? only vti came with sunroof and ED/EF aussie models mainly came in dual carb, only EF9 came with a b16a

angel
16-06-2008, 07:35 PM
D15B Dual Carby, also used in the EF AUDM

civic_man
16-06-2008, 07:49 PM
How do they go as carby models?
Thanks
adrian

Perry
16-06-2008, 08:06 PM
no power and slow

tangy
16-06-2008, 08:59 PM
that is a carbi engine. The black casing on the back of the engine is where the air filter for the carbi sits inside, there are clips which you can pop off to see for yourself.

on the EFI model you will be able to see the plenum as seen in the pic

bennjamin
16-06-2008, 09:00 PM
guys all EG civics are hydraulic clutched.

Its a gl as said -

SeverAMV
17-06-2008, 12:47 AM
there are no audm ef civics. ef civics are jdm only. audm civics were ed. only local ef are the crx i believe.
and that motor is a d15b4 twin carb, same one as found in ed civics. its not bad in an ed, my mild tune ed makes 80+fwkw with the factory carbs, but it doesnt make enough torque for the heavier eg.

and theres nothing wrong with sticking a pod on the end. you guys do realise that he's probably removed the carby filter, dont you? short rams work well with carbs. hot air further improves the already strong atomisation rate of a carburetor, so it can increase power.

cristian
17-06-2008, 03:02 PM
there are no audm ef civics. ef civics are jdm only. audm civics were ed. only local ef are the crx i believe.
and that motor is a d15b4 twin carb, same one as found in ed civics. its not bad in an ed, my mild tune ed makes 80+fwkw with the factory carbs, but it doesnt make enough torque for the heavier eg.

and theres nothing wrong with sticking a pod on the end. you guys do realise that he's probably removed the carby filter, dont you? short rams work well with carbs. hot air further improves the already strong atomisation rate of a carburetor, so it can increase power.

:thumbsup:
2 filters are overkill...

the owner of that car is better off cutting the lid, or replacing it with a non-stick metal sheet that matches the shape of the stock filter to replace the lid to allow the carbs to breathe 360 degrees rather than that one inlet...

i've got a pic on my home computer...i'll post later tonight

SeverAMV
17-06-2008, 06:07 PM
:thumbsup:
2 filters are overkill...

the owner of that car is better off cutting the lid, or replacing it with a non-stick metal sheet that matches the shape of the stock filter to replace the lid to allow the carbs to breathe 360 degrees rather than that one inlet...

i've got a pic on my home computer...i'll post later tonight

hehe, yay for baking trays!
baking tray works better than the pod, and ends up being cheaper too, and somewhat less illegal.