PDA

View Full Version : Best wheel/tyre combo for handling?

JMSBND
18-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Hey guys. Just bought an 03 S2000. It came from the dealer fitted with some pretty average looking 17" wheels.

It's due for tyres and I really want to set it up for track days and max grip etc. I was thinking going back to a 16" wheel setup, with some nice wide tyres. Any advice on whick wheel/tyre combo will satisfy my need for grip?

I run a 15" setup on my CRX and it's great, but I am a little lost on the S2K as I have always been FWD!!!

I Have seen up to 255 and 265 width rear and 245 front on the net, just looking for max grip, not looks. Do I stay with the staggered setup?

Thanks guys,

James.

Ferrari
18-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Staying with OEM 16 inch will provide a wide range of cheaper tyres. If I was going to have a track set they would be 17x8 with a staggered setup. 205 on the front stock is a bit weak.

vyets
18-06-2008, 01:04 PM
It depends on what you want and how you drive. Some people like the oversteer that non staggered offsets give you, some people think that a staggered offset gives enough oversteer as is.

Well what was your favorite R compound tyre on your CRX? If you really did like it maybe stick too it :) If you want a street tyre maybe look into some Bridgestone RE-11, or Advan AD07, maybe some Dunlop Z1? or Falken RT615. They are pretty hard to get overhere, The Tirerack quoted me 1.2kUSD landed last time for a full set of RE01R 225/45/17 and 245/45/17

Also research on afew aligments, and get a real aggressive one, don't hold back it sounds like your car is more of a weekend warrior then a daily beater.

As for rims, if it was me I would roll 17x9" CE28 non staggered setup for the track, lightweight and forged, and extremely hot! But thats me, I like playing with oversteer. And one really good thing about a non staggered setup? Tyre rotation :D:D

Here's a little info on running some non staggered setups check it out.
http://maxrev.net/index.php?location=widetires.htm

At the end of the day, get on the track with how your car is now, see where it's lacking and improve on that area. Handling is alot more about personnel preference/driving and tuning rather then slapping on a catalog of parts expecting to "handle". Also jump on the S2ki forums and read around, alot of personnel opinions there caus alot of the yanks race their s2000.

JMSBND
19-06-2008, 05:51 PM
It depends on what you want and how you drive. Some people like the oversteer that non staggered offsets give you, some people think that a staggered offset gives enough oversteer as is.

Well what was your favorite R compound tyre on your CRX? If you really did like it maybe stick too it :) If you want a street tyre maybe look into some Bridgestone RE-11, or Advan AD07, maybe some Dunlop Z1? or Falken RT615. They are pretty hard to get overhere, The Tirerack quoted me 1.2kUSD landed last time for a full set of RE01R 225/45/17 and 245/45/17

Also research on afew aligments, and get a real aggressive one, don't hold back it sounds like your car is more of a weekend warrior then a daily beater.

As for rims, if it was me I would roll 17x9" CE28 non staggered setup for the track, lightweight and forged, and extremely hot! But thats me, I like playing with oversteer. And one really good thing about a non staggered setup? Tyre rotation :D:D

Here's a little info on running some non staggered setups check it out.
http://maxrev.net/index.php?location=widetires.htm

At the end of the day, get on the track with how your car is now, see where it's lacking and improve on that area. Handling is alot more about personnel preference/driving and tuning rather then slapping on a catalog of parts expecting to "handle". Also jump on the S2ki forums and read around, alot of personnel opinions there caus alot of the yanks race their s2000.

Mate thats a reply! I like your explanation of staggered offsets, and your right, its not a daily beater!

I will be looking at forged wheels, and after looking around, about a 17x9 with a +45 seems to be the go. I like oversteer, so I will get it on the track first and see how it goes stock first.

Thanks for the helpful reply!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

James

AusS2000
20-06-2008, 10:27 AM
I will be looking at forged wheels, and after looking around, about a 17x9 with a +45 seems to be the go.

17x9 +45 might rub. For 9 inch wide wheels +60 and greater is recommended.

I like oversteer, so I will get it on the track first and see how it goes stock first.

Good thinking. You'll be surprised how oversteery this car is particularly compared to a FWD. Personally I can't imagine anyone looking to emphasise the oversteer nature of this car.

.::F[L]Y::.
20-06-2008, 10:42 AM
you shouldnt have any issues with 17x9 +45 (245/40/17 all round) setup if you do the following

-roll front and rear guards
-relocate rear bumper tab back 1"
-cut rear bumper
-run abit of camber ( on the rear -3.0degress will be more than enough)

Alot of cars in japan use this setup as it offers better turn in and braking. In saying that it will make the car tend of oversteer alot more, so this setup isnt recommending for noob drivers.

reason our cars come with staggered offsets from factory is for satefy reasons, some of the guys who autocross with the S have actually commented how the car displays understeer characteristics. Even at skid pan days, 'snap oversteer' tends to happen when ppl not use to the handling characteristics of the S making sudden movements or adjustments whilst turning or not being able to shift the weight transfer smoothly.

black_dc_5
20-06-2008, 10:59 AM
I watched BM vid the other day, comparing the newer version of S2K and the older version.

I know that the newer version has got the rear chasis revised and bla bla bla, thus give a better handling compare to the older one.

Interestingly they swap the 17" from the newer S2K to the older version, and the lap time improves by 0.5 sec. The new model has got 235 or 245 tires at the back I think.

vyets
20-06-2008, 02:00 PM
New model has 245 at the back, the newer model also has the 2.2L just incase you didnt know.

17x9+45 all you gotta do is roll the guards, not like it changes the look or anything unless you want to get under the car and look at the guard folded in. After that you shouldnt rub, I know you're going to be running alot of camber anyway, so it doesn't matter. But less then 2degrees can clear that easily. Guessing you will be running 255's? Semi slicks don't have a "rim protector" on the sidewall so they do sit slightly thinner then most other tyres.
To clear the fronts they mentioned it in the link I showed you it's slightly abit of work but it might be what your after. At the end of the day you "modding" your car, and most mods to get one you require another, why hold back true :)

Let us know how you went on the track, which track, what tyres and how your liked/disliked it :) Good Luck man.

AusS2000
20-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Or run +60 and no need to roll your guards or run excessive camber. ;)

vyets
20-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Last time I checked a stock s2000 is running 1.5degrees of negative camber on the rear, don't know how the audm ones are but.The UK s2000's run neg 2 degrees :O. I wouldn't even begin to call that excessive. And your toe out of alignment will be the major wear on tyres, and his should be nowhere near 0, for his purpose anyway.

If your keeping stock suspension for the track I would recommend you get a real aggressive aligment, as your car will be getting alot of roll you want to make the most of the tyres. And if your even more serious get an alignment with you in the car :)

AusS2000
21-06-2008, 05:40 PM
He he, I knew you'd bite.

DC5TYPER
22-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Ill be the lab rat!

Ive got a set of CE28 17x9 +54 to be fitted on the S2K. Just awaiting tyres.

Non staggered is my choice and I did this for track reasons.

What also concerned me is fender damage. A lot of people bent the fenders with wide tyres, crazy offsets and soft springs.

So upgrading to stiffer springs is also must if your going to track the vehicle like my self. I choose 16kg Front and Rear. (bumpy Yo!)

vyets
22-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Daym, and I thought my 12kg springrate was bad lol. What kind of coils did you get may I ask?

22-06-2008, 09:00 PM
yeap. thats gona be rough. im assuming you dont drive the car daily

DC5TYPER
22-06-2008, 09:07 PM
its a daily man! until the hilux is full ready for the road! :cool:

Handling is a lot better and responsive. Also with stock suspension oversteer was snap but with the new setup oversteer is more predictive and easier to control unlike stock.

22-06-2008, 09:43 PM
be sure to post up pics!

im selln my rims to go down to 17s also. Abit more aggressive than your specs hopefully

JMSBND
23-06-2008, 01:24 PM
All helpful info guys thanks alot.

My car has 17" wheels now, but I don't really like them so I will be looking for something else. Seems that 17", not 16" is the go and not a staggered setup from what I can gather.

Here is the car, I have been pretty busy this week making room in the garage, (I also have a Honda N360 Scamp, a 1972 1st Gen Civic, a 1972 Honda coupe 9s and a 1st Gen 1987 JDM CRX hatch) so I am hoping to do some mods to the S2000 for fast road/track weekends.

All help very appreciated!

James.

vyets
23-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Thats the same pic as on the first page :( lol.

Nothing wrong with 16's the Spoon AP1 used to have 16" works :D

JMSBND
23-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Thats the same pic as on the first page :( lol.

Nothing wrong with 16's the Spoon AP1 used to have 16" works :D

Arggh stoopid kompooter. I will get the new pics up later this week. I will get some pics of the interior too, it's a bit of a rare factory color option too......

James.

vyets
23-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Tan leather on mcb :P

JMSBND
23-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Tan leather on mcb :P

mcb???? Pardon my ignorance, only got year 10!:o

vyets
23-06-2008, 03:30 PM
oh i meant is your car tan leather interior on monte carlo blue sry :P

JMSBND
23-06-2008, 03:31 PM
I think it's Monte Carlo Blue. Apparently a limited number were made for Australia or something?

JMSBND
23-06-2008, 03:42 PM
I bought it because every car I looked at last weekend was thrashed, damaged, had no books or was just not right. This one was from a middle age guy in Caulfied, VIC and was just immaculate. About 4k more than what I was going to spend, but it had half the Kms of everything else, was an update with HID etc and glass window and was TOTALLY STOCK. Not really feeling the wheels, but they were dealer fitted from new.

One car I looked at had an insane engine knock, no books and had been totally resprayed..........poorly. Still had damage on the RHR taillight. He was pretty sheepish when I pointed out I was a panel beater by trade, and was none too impressed I had driven all the way to Melbourne to look at his Turd. It's still on carsales too..........

James

AusS2000
23-06-2008, 03:55 PM
HIDs have always been standard.

JMSBND
23-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Really, the first two I looked at seemed to have different headlights? :(

I have much to learn about these late model Hondas :o:o

Most of my other Hondas are older than ME!!!

AusS2000
23-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Ahh, they are the ones that interest me!

BTW, the headlights have always been HID but they changed cosmetically in 02 and then again in 04.