PDA

View Full Version : Which engine would you prefer and is pricier and better?

xKx_31
17-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi people, just being curious here although alot of threads were started on the techinical details of various engines. This thread is basically just to see which type of those sweet Honda powerplants appeals to you most.

Below are some of the hottest and common engine available throughout the Honda makes. Please feel free to amend any mistakes on the engine types or add on any other types of HONDA SPECIFIC engines which you regard as being your favourite or a hybrid which you think it might work.

-B20B/B16A (Hybrid with B16 head)

-B20B/B18C (Hybrid with B18 head)

-B16A (OBD0)

-B16A2/3 (OBD1/2)

-B16B (EK-CTR)

-D16A8 (ZC?)

-D16Y8 (Civic EX)

-B18C (GSR)

-B18C1/3

-B18C-R (DB8-ITR)

-B18C5 (ITR)

-H23A1 (Si)

-H22A (92-96 VTi-R)

-H22A1 (97+ VTi-R)

-H23 & H22A (JDM Type S)

-C32B (02 NSX?)

-K20A

Lastly my sincere apologies if I mis-entered any engine ID.

Cheers :)

integraz
17-09-2004, 06:52 PM
k20a2 with a k24 head? or was it a k24a2 wit a k20a head aka frankenstein

xKx_31
17-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Wow, has anyone done that before? A 02 CRV short block slapped with a i-VTEC ITR's head? Sounds alot of fun to me.

It somehow resembles the former B20/B16 hybrid methods.

Perhaps my ignorance is getting the better of me, never heard of some combi before though. :)

SiR JDM
17-09-2004, 07:05 PM
If im going to chuck it in my EG civic, c32b for sure ! hahah
nah probably k20a ... oOo baby

your question is pretty vaige..

each engine is housed by a different car, with differnt balances and inevitably have different purposes..
eg. a h22a in an EG civic is an awesome drag car, but would definatly not be used on track..
but a h22a in a Prelude with 4WS is an awesome touge/track car (As seen in the Best Motoring Video of the Yellow JUN Prelude on the touge)
Also an ek hatch/b18cR hybrid is also an awesome track car

Then you see cars such as the NSX-R that take on Ferrari, Lamborgini, Porsche on track and do very well (win from wat ive seen in videos) ..

in the end it comes down to purpose, price, and desire =)

xKx_31
17-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Oh sorry, forgot to add:

*Selection of engine are only to your preferences. Does not imply that your selection must fit a Civic or a Teg. I created this thread just to see apart from the cosmetics and outlooks of a particular chassis, who will favour which engine irregardless of the looks.

*All are free to voice out whether they like a ITR for use in track or a S2000 for cruising down Chapel St in Melb. Each has their preference but I just wanna hear from you guys thats all.

Pardon me for not clarifying properly.

Although I think there's a Civic in Australia that has a Prelude engine and a Twin Turbo. IMHO, I think thats too much chassis denting to fit the compressor and I assume the power steering unit is blocking too. (EG Chassis)

DaViSoN
19-09-2004, 01:19 AM
H22a All the way mate lol

[[d a n n y]]
19-09-2004, 02:00 AM
C32b..
Nsx Rulz Yo~

xKx_31
19-09-2004, 02:55 AM
hmmm ... how come no one likes B series?

On the high side, what type of engine would you like to have hidding in your Civic?

- Realistically

&

- Your ultimate dream Civic =p~~~

HeeH

xKx_31
19-09-2004, 02:58 AM
No pun intended for other Honda Lovers. I'm just a Civic guy but then again the chassis shape of 92 up Prelude is to die for (IMO) ... Coz I used to own a SI ... COOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL~~~~

Setanta
19-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Nowadays I'd go for a K series motor. B16As are gutless down low, B18C5s are too expensive for an aging motor (and prolly one that ha been thrashed to death), B16B is far too expensive, Ds are outdated (especially the ZC) and the H stands for HEAVY in the H series.

I'm working on the assumption of the motor going into an ED/EE/EF or an EG Civic though.

If it was for a 'lude, I'd suggestgiving up your job as a hair-dresser and buying a real car :D:D:D

xKx_31
19-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Wow, ermmm ... very "personalised" opinion I must say. But wouldnt K series be too expensive given the age of it all and also the power its pumping it?

Just a simple question, how much would the following cost:

- K20A

- B16B

- B16A

- B18C5

- H22A

- ZC

You mentioned B18C5 and B16B being expensive and sorts, so I am just curious @ how much it would cost to purchase such engines in Australia as compared to the K series.

Cheers

civicboy
19-09-2004, 11:52 AM
go for jdm B18C type-r motor :thumbsup:
or the K20vtec audm / jdm one is 2 much!

xKx_31
19-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Yea, I reckon the newer K20A is much more expensive and newer than the B18C5s. Not sure about the pricing but based my knowledge on the abundance of Bs and the limited number of K20s floating around in wreckers.

Setanta
19-09-2004, 03:09 PM
The point is, the K series is prolly similar in terms of cost to a B18 or a B16B and has the advantage of being newer. Even the Aus spec motors are rare on the ground and expensive. Chuck picked up his K20 for a good price in comparison to any of the Bs.

Personalised for a reason, I think - as in I drive an EF and don't plan on owning another Honda ever (unless I find a good condition 1G Civic). I already have the B16A as it was in the car from factory - if I had an ED6 I'd do the K series swap as there are quite a few US ED owners who have done the K swap already and are getting better tuner results than they did with the Bs (16s and 18s although no-one I know has done the 16B swap).

Next swap for me will be SR20DET into a non-Honda. Nissan > Honda :)

Setanta
19-09-2004, 03:10 PM
BTW - want to point out this "abundance" of Bs?????????

Good luck at finding a good one at a reasonable price - it isn't that easy.

SiR JDM
19-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Setanta is spot on...
I think the exception of a few JDM b18cR engines which have done well under 100kms... but it still is an older engine incomparison to the b18..
From wat ive heard/read the k20 is alot more responcive (in the form of power increase) to modifications than the dc2r hence why the dc5s have so much potential...
Dont quote me on it though....

Personally id still go the b18cR (JDM) in an EG .. thats just a dream conversion of mine... with the right suspension and setup beautiful track car, would love it =)

xKx_31
19-09-2004, 07:40 PM
BTW - want to point out this "abundance" of Bs?????????

Good luck at finding a good one at a reasonable price - it isn't that easy.

Hmmm ... so what do you reckon is a reasonable price for:

- B16B

- B18C-R

- B20/B16

Just curious at the prices PEOPLE are actually selling in Australia. :)

xKx_31
19-09-2004, 07:49 PM
The point is, the K series is prolly similar in terms of cost to a B18 or a B16B and has the advantage of being newer. Even the Aus spec motors are rare on the ground and expensive. Chuck picked up his K20 for a good price in comparison to any of the Bs.

Personalised for a reason, I think - as in I drive an EF and don't plan on owning another Honda ever (unless I find a good condition 1G Civic). I already have the B16A as it was in the car from factory - if I had an ED6 I'd do the K series swap as there are quite a few US ED owners who have done the K swap already and are getting better tuner results than they did with the Bs (16s and 18s although no-one I know has done the 16B swap).

Next swap for me will be SR20DET into a non-Honda. Nissan > Honda :)

I guess whether the K series is similar in cost to the B series depends on where you get the engine, i.e. from your friends or from the dealers or from your friendly mechanic. How cheap can be considered cheap and how expensive can we call it all comes down to our own perception. This point comes back to the price tag of each individual motor. Following my earlier post on the prices you regard as reasonable, please feel free to share your experiences. Coz for me, although I have never purchased any half cuts or engines before, my past experiences and knowledge tells me the B series prices can fluctuate from country to country. Considering the import/duties charges, still relatively cheaper than local.

I've been meaning to buy a rear wheel drive, coz of all the hype my friends put me through. Although I can safely say that most of them cant or know how to drift. But alot of clips from the net showing drifts still leaves tantalising thoughts. Especially a clip on a Lexus RS. Wow.

mytoycivic
19-09-2004, 09:56 PM
what the hell happened to the D's?

xKx_31
19-09-2004, 10:10 PM
what the hell happened to the D's?

Opps I'm sorry, didnt know much about D series. Although I used to drive a Si .... Responsive but I think the B16s are "slightly" better. No pun intended. I drove the two differing Civic before therefore the comparisons. :)

MRJDM
19-09-2004, 10:24 PM
k20 all the way

xKx_31
19-09-2004, 10:39 PM
k20 all the way

*lol

BTW how much is a K20 worth currently?

Anyone has any price on that engine?

DaViSoN
19-09-2004, 10:47 PM
wats wrong with the H22a!!!! hahahah