PDA

View Full Version : turbo exhaust sizing

nick_sixx
18-06-2008, 04:43 PM
hey finally went down to the bank today to refinance my loan so i can have turbo sohc vtec yo. anyways at the moment im running a buddyclub pro spec exhasut (2.35in), but im thinking it will be too small for a turbo application. would i be better off getting a bigger resonator to try and increase the flow, or just getting a whole new exhaust?

Limbo
18-06-2008, 05:20 PM
whole new exhaust would be good, as the turbo will benefit from the better breathing.
But if your on a budget the 2 1/4 or so you got should be sufficient.
I know a few people running 2 1/4 on boosted cars

nick_sixx
18-06-2008, 06:22 PM
whole new exhaust would be good, as the turbo will benefit from the better breathing.
But if your on a budget the 2 1/4 or so you got should be sufficient.
I know a few people running 2 1/4 on boosted cars

ok well it will have to do for a while i guess, im on a limited budget. although ive had my eye on a few apexi mufflers which look good. any reccommendations for 3" ones?

DLO01
19-06-2008, 06:40 AM
What sort of power are you looking at acheiving?

I would go for 2.5 inch.

As for mufflers, go Magnaflow from Jdm-yard. Check out the Magnaflow site.

FkjAccord
19-06-2008, 09:16 AM
it really depends on your turbo setup and your design for the exhaust

karlos
19-06-2008, 02:42 PM
i thought the standard rule is 3" turbo back for any turbo car? best bet would speak to someone in an exhaust shop, i think 2 1/4 is much too restrictive for boost.

Weq
19-06-2008, 02:46 PM
work out the rest of your turbo system first. exhaust is one of the last thing u will need to worry about. hell i couldnt name you the type of muffler i used. lol.

nick_sixx
23-06-2008, 06:37 PM
wanting to get like ~115kw atw to start with, then will look at bigger injectors and internals as i can afford them. i know its best to get a turbo-back system, but will a bigger cat-back system be sufficient?

Weq
24-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Im guessing you are getting a greddy kit.

It comes with a 2" downpipe, i recommend upgrading it atleast. If you are on a super tight budget, go for a 3" downpipe/cat setup and plug that into your buddyclub exhaust. Downpipe is the most important part of the setup. I got a 2.5" exahust but i kinda regretted it. 3" is good, easier power. Oh and for a muffler, use something off a jap turbo car, skyline, rx7, supra, chamber muffler. Will give u great flow without fart can cannon spec resonance.

nick_sixx
24-06-2008, 08:41 PM
ok will look into a bigger downpipe. my budget isn't like 2-shifts-per-week-at-the-newsagent tight, but yeah not exactly throwing money round. is it cheaper to buy, say, a greddy down pipe, or just get one custom made? i am really liking the apexi range at the moment

krogoth
25-06-2008, 09:54 AM
interesting...

i dont know too much about this

but logically, get the whole turbo kit working first, make it reliable

dw so much about exhaust until uve got all the other more important bits sorted, exhaust is prob the easiest thing to do

2.35 is prob a bit restrictive, but ur car wont die with it....

nick_sixx
25-06-2008, 06:20 PM
yeah priorties at the moment are head studs and a half size radiator. then either clutch or exhaust depending on my mood. and suggestions for a decent, well-priced (ie the cheapest) clutch? and/or radiator?

krogoth
25-06-2008, 06:40 PM
IMO, forget exhaust for now

and spend ur money on a top quality radiator, i cant remember names now...ill have to check, lots of traders have excellent ones on here

and since ur looking at clutch, then wile ur down ther, get everything done

light weight flywheel

new clutch

and new pressure plate

exeddy make good clutch and pressure plates, and therz plenty of other brands, but thats a good decent one, just make sure u get the right clutch/pressure plate for the power u expect to make

as for the flywheel, very subjective, ull have to ask other members how light is too light..

imo, if u get something too light, it just becomes a pain in the ass as a daily, though i imagine u will reduce any turbo lag...

correct me if im rong

nick_sixx
25-06-2008, 10:53 PM
i dont really care how bad it is as a daily, if yonas can drive an 11 second civic daily, im sure i can handle a bit of lightweight flywheel action. i dont think im after the best of radiators, as im not chasing 340kw. but i will look into it. any opinions on the KLS radiators for sale from triple 9?

gReY-oNe
25-06-2008, 10:58 PM
the exhaust is important

take it from someone who drove a turbo car with a stock exhaust

everything gets really hot
heaps of back pressure

BUT in sayin that krogoth is right about teh clucth and flywheel
upgrade it as ur current one will fail

recommend
get the exhaust and the kit together though it save u on tuning twice

stock radiator is ok im using an auto one atm works a treate

krogoth
26-06-2008, 12:36 AM
i do recognise the importance of ample exhaust

im just saying that u can adjust boost, so just keep it really low and do the more important things first

when theyr done, get all the exhaust work u want done, up the boost, and ull have urself a pretty reliable setup

gReY-oNe
26-06-2008, 01:04 PM
i do recognise the importance of ample exhaust

im just saying that u can adjust boost, so just keep it really low and do the more important things first

when theyr done, get all the exhaust work u want done, up the boost, and ull have urself a pretty reliable setup

yeah LOL thats wat i did
but i regretted it as i had to pay for tuning twice
for some reason my old map didnt show up on the comp and i had to pay for two inital tunes which are like 600 each could of saved some money there and do it right the first time around
but was alittle short on cash and didnt wonna skimp out on the important things

i think i kept boost around 5psi on my stock exhaust.
If the op doesnt mind that then its ok get the exhaust after everything

after the exhaust i got an extra 30kws atw
pretty good :D best investment ever

just sayin wat i hadda deal with :D

nick_sixx
26-06-2008, 01:21 PM
ive started shopping around online for decent half-sized radiators, most being in the $250-$500 range. how hard is it to diy install a radiator? i just forked out $3500 for a plane ride and accomodation for an o/s trip to canada at the end of the year, so im pretty broke at the moment, trying to save money where i can. so my priorities at the moment (while the turbo kit+fmic are being shipped)

1. buy a half-sized radiator + new hoses
2. buy a new clutch + flywheel
3. hopefully have saved enough by now to pay for install+tune
4. new exhaust, head studs, and re-tune

90LAN
26-06-2008, 01:27 PM
looks like a budget build is going to cost u over 5k and counting nick
mite of been easier to do the h or b like u were considering before
just take your time and get the right parts
better to do it right the 1st time mate

nick_sixx
26-06-2008, 01:31 PM
^^ haha yeah apparently. ill be going faster than most b16 swaps though so that is my justification. i got a new job which pays a little better so i can spend a bit more on the old nickmobile, which helps. i look forward to when im like 25 and have a real job. i will build the first t88 powered civic. maybe not.

90LAN
26-06-2008, 01:36 PM
with your turbo budget build u will be on par or slightly slower than a modded b16
and slower than a modded h22 eg
it should be good when its finished but mate

nick_sixx
26-06-2008, 01:40 PM
haha yeah, but thats modded though. i wouldnt exactly be able to afford a port polish on an h22a. give it a year. ill be rockin' the turbo civic still, hopefully a bit quicker though. or a road-legal mach 6

90LAN
26-06-2008, 01:43 PM
haha yeah, but thats modded though. i wouldnt exactly be able to afford a port polish on an h22a. give it a year. ill be rockin' the turbo civic still, hopefully a bit quicker though. or a road-legal mach 6

modded is intake headers and exhaust
both conversions would of being under 5 k easy
u wouldnt need a port and polish on any of thise motors
but yeah come around and take me for a spin mate once u have it in

nick_sixx
26-06-2008, 01:49 PM
definately. hows the eg6? anything new?

90LAN
26-06-2008, 01:50 PM
nope spending my cash on other things llol

Aza
27-06-2008, 11:36 AM
i loved the exhuast on my boosted d, mine was a custom made 2.5" dump pipe into a 3" custom exhuast. used a megan racing muffler and cat. gave it a very nice tone and gave it plenty of room to breathe. i wouldnt want to go anything less then what i had.

this was all made by my brother. who although his small company mainly deals with 4 wheel drives he is starting to do abit of work with turbos now to...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/Aza_LN46/ex005.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/Aza_LN46/ex007.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/Aza_LN46/ex008.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/Aza_LN46/ex001.jpg