PDA

View Full Version : changing steering wheel

BRU51N
18-06-2008, 08:27 PM
hey guys,

anyone know how to change a steering wheel in an EG?

bought a new steering wheel, but i have no idea how to take the original wheel off.

can anyone thats changed their steering wheel give me a guide on how to take it off, for an install of a new wheel?

MikeyG
18-06-2008, 08:58 PM
1.disconnect your NEGATIVE terminal off your
BATTERY.
This is for SAFETY. (airbag)

2. Access the sides of the steering wheel with a flathead screwdriver , remove 2 x plastic covers on teh sides.
3.Use a TORX (six spoked piece) key or screwdriver to remove the single bolt either side of the wheel.
4. slide out the airbag module carefuly , and disconnect the horn harness and airbag harness (yellow clip)
5. You should have the central hub in view , it should be either a 14mm ( EK) or 19mm ( EG/DC) socket and use a large extension , and a ratchet/breaker bar to take it off.
6. Slide off wheel carefully , keep it aimed straight. Install new wheel in the opposite fashion.

7. Once all hooked up , finally reconnect the negative terminal of the battery and all should be good

shadou
18-06-2008, 09:00 PM
err should be a couple of screws on the actual steering wheel joining the horn section to the actual wheel, take those 2 off unplug the horn section (SRS careful if equipped) and there then should be a large but behind it in the middle. Undo that presto..... I think haven't done one in yonks

MikeyG
18-06-2008, 09:03 PM
i have... and i did exactly what i wrote to him.. everything perfect no fuss no mess quality service to myself by myself :D

shadou
18-06-2008, 09:07 PM
make sure that nut is tight, don't be lazy and use a rattle gun =p.. cos it's fkin hard to get off if you ever need to get it back to stock wheel...

bennjamin
18-06-2008, 09:58 PM
hey guys,

anyone know how to change a steering wheel in an EG?

bought a new steering wheel, but i have no idea how to take the original wheel off.

can anyone thats changed their steering wheel give me a guide on how to take it off, for an install of a new wheel?

what EG is it ? Does it have a SRS wheel ?

There are 2 main types - 3 spoke non-srs wheel and 4 spoke srs wheel.

To take off non srs ( eg si , early vti , breeze etc)

First straighten wheel and make sure on flat surface. Take keys out of the ignition.
Get a flathead screwdriver , lever off the H embelem in the centre of the wheel.
Grab a 19mm deep socket , extension + ratchet or breaker bar.
Take keys out (if in ignition) and LOCK the wheel THIS IS IMPORTANT
Then undo the 19mm hub nut located down the centre.

Pull off wheel slowly , done.
Install new wheel....if aftermarket install new boss kit then wheel ontop etc

MikeyG
18-06-2008, 10:10 PM
sigh ben =( unfair message delete

Renegade
18-06-2008, 10:53 PM
If you have an airbag wheel, I'm positive you have to replace it with an airbag wheel. Otherwise you risk a defect from the fuzz.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also - when removing the wheel if it appears to be stuck on once the nut is off then you will need to replace the nut so that it sits flush with the end of the steering shaft. ( to protect the thread)
Here you will need help from a friend. Whilst someone sitsin the drivers chair pulling the wheel, the other person will be hitting the nut/shaft with a hard rubber mallet. When the wheel finally lets go - don't smash it into your face!
Good luck mate.

02gzm
19-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Steering Wheels
Not smaller than 330mm

It’s no secret that after several years, factory steering wheels can get quite worn and dated, and replacing them with new sportier versions is common. However, once again, certain limitations apply. A steering wheel cannot be reduced by more than 25mm from the factory steering wheel size but must not be less than 350mm*. If a steering wheel is fitted with an airbag, it cannot be replaced or removed with an aftermarket steering wheel. Finally, every car must have a working horn, so having a horn button is also a requirement.

Taken from Roadsmart.com.au (http://www.roadsmart.com.au/mods.php)
Bookmark it and use it as a guideline if you're unsure about mods to your car

VTi_b0i
19-06-2008, 05:18 PM
lol what a good thread to pop up! i was just about to make my own haha

IF u take off a steering wheel with SRS (airbag) will the red light remain on constantly??

riruiz_88
19-06-2008, 05:38 PM
First straighten wheel and make sure on flat surface. Take keys out of the ignition.
Get a flathead screwdriver , lever off the H embelem in the centre of the wheel.

what is the best way of LOCKING the wheel straight? one of those steering wheels lock bar things? also i have bought a DC2R non-srs wheel, how am i supposed to know which is positive for the horn (total of 2 terminals)?

bennjamin
19-06-2008, 05:51 PM
what is the best way of LOCKING the wheel straight? one of those steering wheels lock bar things? also i have bought a DC2R non-srs wheel, how am i supposed to know which is positive for the horn (total of 2 terminals)?

the best way to lock the wheel IMO is to turn the wheel slightly to the right (turn the wheel slightly, say 30 degrees) then pull the key out. Slowly turn the wheel straight and the wheel should lock close or on dead straight

eg5civic
19-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Taken from Roadsmart.com.au (http://www.roadsmart.com.au/mods.php)
Bookmark it and use it as a guideline if you're unsure about mods to your car

But make sure its used as a guideline and only a guideline... disclaimer at the bottom states

" This document should only be used as a guide and cannot be used as a legal document in a court of law. It should not be treated as any form of legal advice.
Prior to modifications, check local regulations to confirm requirements.
Roadsmart will not be held liable for inaccuracies, jurisdictional differences or changes to laws. This publication was correct as at February 2008."

Meaning it won't hold up in court if you say "but this website said i can"

BRU51N
19-06-2008, 07:21 PM
thanks guys, gonna give it a shot in the next few days.

ive got the 3 spoke version, how do i crack it open so the middle is visible? does the (middle horn section) flip up/down? or do i have to cut it open?

VTi_b0i
19-06-2008, 07:44 PM
lol what a good thread to pop up! i was just about to make my own haha

IF u take off a steering wheel with SRS (airbag) will the red light remain on constantly??
bumpity

eg5civic
19-06-2008, 08:20 PM
thanks guys, gonna give it a shot in the next few days.

ive got the 3 spoke version, how do i crack it open so the middle is visible? does the (middle horn section) flip up/down? or do i have to cut it open?

3 spoke non-srs wheel

To take off non srs ( eg si , early vti , breeze etc)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

riruiz_88
20-06-2008, 02:28 PM
the best way to lock the wheel IMO is to turn the wheel slightly to the right (turn the wheel slightly, say 30 degrees) then pull the key out. Slowly turn the wheel straight and the wheel should lock close or on dead straight

oh tru, didnt know wheel could lock on centre or near centre. what about when attaching the bolt back in, what is the best method when tightening? or would the wheel lock stop it from moving?

vinnY
21-06-2008, 02:31 AM
^ it'd still be locked afaik, it's the steering column that locks not the steering wheel

just another tip though.. loosen the 19mm bolt but don't completely unbolt it
saves you the trouble of pulling it too hard and punching yourself in the face

riruiz_88
21-06-2008, 10:37 AM
hahaha speakin from experience ey? how tight should i tighten it up, really tight or tight? i dont have a torque wrench so cant do that

vinnY
21-06-2008, 02:46 PM
don't look at me! i'm didn't have a ford badge (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42522&highlight=steering) imprinted on my forehead ;)

edit to the op; if you haven't already gotten the wheel off, the guide here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48531&highlight=steering) should show you how to take the non-srs wheel off

riruiz_88
21-06-2008, 09:16 PM
hahaha probs would happen to me if you didnt tell me, cheers for that. thats a good link man :thumbsup:

aimre
21-06-2008, 10:30 PM
U know, u can just undo the bolt at any angle. then BEFORE u remove the whell, straighten it up.

bennjamin
21-06-2008, 11:05 PM
U know, u can just undo the bolt at any angle. then BEFORE u remove the whell, straighten it up.

True

But locking the wheel is to aid undoing the hub nut - its hard to crack it with a breaker bar or ratchet etc with the wheel turning at the same time !

aimre
22-06-2008, 04:23 PM
^^
its probably better to have a mate hold it, the locking pin isnt as strong us u think, two people turning a wheel can easily break it