PDA

View Full Version : Oil leaking out of my b18..help

b18boy
19-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Hey guys
I have an eg with a b18c2 conversion,
Anyways i noticed there is minor oil leaks coming out of the nuts on the top of the vtec cover ( mainly the left one and the right one at the front ) and also there was a tiny bit between where the red cover bolts onto the block??

Any suggestions as to whats wrong are my seals or gaskets gone and which one??

Any help would be appreciated thanks

panda[cRx]
19-06-2008, 02:03 PM
sounds like your rocker cover gasket

have you had it open for anything recently?

while doing the rocker cover gasket you may as well do the cylinder tube seals and doa tappet adjustment while it's open

b18boy
19-06-2008, 02:04 PM
It is leaking from where i have circled things blue..

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm90/tytyper/weirdedit39.jpg

b18boy
19-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Not recently no i haven't opened it.

Ok so roughly how much will it cost like 200-300 ??

iwantvtec
19-06-2008, 02:30 PM
do it ur self..... take your valve cover off. Lube ur gasket put it in. If required use some sealant.

shadou
19-06-2008, 02:33 PM
cheap all you need to replace is the rubber which shouldn't cost too much probably under $50 or you can go to burson's they should stock generic ones.

b18boy
19-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Alrighty im sure i can handle that just wanted to be sure if it was the gasket and that it was no major problem.

thanks

shadou
19-06-2008, 02:35 PM
don't over tighten those nuts or you'll be very sorry.. they can snap if you go overboard.

b18boy
19-06-2008, 03:02 PM
don't over tighten those nuts or you'll be very sorry.. they can snap if you go overboard.

Ill make a note of that and also i hate to ask so many questions but does anyone have an indication as to where i could get a vtec gasket ??

panda[cRx]
19-06-2008, 03:12 PM
just get oem ones from your local dealer

shadou
19-06-2008, 03:14 PM
.. there is no such thing as a VTEC gasket.. What you need is called a ROCKER COVER GASKET.
And if those stud grommets are hard you may want to replace them as well.
Before getting any of these get a 10mm and give those nuts a tighten to see if it isn't just loose doubt it but worth a shot you're going to be taking it off anyway.
You can get these parts from any honda dealer parts department, quote your engine number and just say you need above parts presto

EGB18CT
19-06-2008, 04:25 PM

i learnt this the hard way... i think you have the cool to motor down as i took the cover off while it was still pretty hot (was when i painted my cover) snapped 3 bolts and wasnt tight too, one snapped tightening it by holding the socket head in my hand.. now im parenoid taking the cover off so mine leakes a bit too, just need new grommets or try some sealant...

teh_mechanic
19-06-2008, 04:53 PM
.. there is no such thing as a VTEC gasket.. What you need is called a ROCKER COVER GASKET.

there is a vtec solenoid gasket.well its an o-ring to be precise.one where the vtec solenoid meets up with the head,and one in the middle of the vtec solenoid.

you said the oil is coming out the studs on top of the rocker cover....thats very strange,are the rubbers underneath the studs there?

you sure its not coming out where the rocker cover meets the head? if so then you need a rocker cover gasket

no need to wait until the engine is cold to take the rocker cover off,but it does help if you have delicate girly hands haha.
when tightening,do the nuts up with your fingers turning the bolt with a socket. then put a ratchet on the socket and you will only need to turn the ratchet not very far at all....when it feels like it easier to turn,that is when it is getting near snapping,as the stud is stretching,so it wont actually feel tight,but there will be resistance there,dont swing off them or they will snap

B18cEG
19-06-2008, 05:28 PM
get a ned rocker cover gasket from honda, they are not expensive at all, also the new seals for the rocker cover bolts, yours may have gotten hard there now leaking, Simple as that and your problem should be fixed.