PDA

View Full Version : 05 WRX vs. DC5R

integra95
20-06-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm looking at buying a new car soon and looking to spend around 20k-25k. I've looked at all sorts of things like 05 WRX's, Accord Euro's, 08 Holden Astra Coupes (terrible depreciation value), Polo GTI, Honda Integra DC5's, even a smart car roadster...Im currently driving a GSi integra.

Now my question to DC5 owners is what are the things that I should be questioning when looking at DC5's? Are k's an issue? Any traits that DC5's have that I should be looking at (eg. dc2 integras have a problem with water leaks to the boot and driveshafts issues)

And finally are you happy with the DC5? Because out of all the cars i've had a look at, i like the 05 WRX and the DC5 the best. Some opinions on how the 2 would compare (eg. fuel consumption, age vs. ks). Im just needing some opinions on what to do!?!?! Thanks

integra95
20-06-2008, 09:42 AM
and also, is the dc5 luxury vtec?

XP02ED
20-06-2008, 09:52 AM
dc5 luxury is vtec.

i would say u can grab a dc5R for your budget.

a common thing wen test driving is 2nd gear being hard to shift to when car is cold.

look out for recaro wear and tear. i would actually suggest that you get someone qualified to inspect a car in that price range and above.

Nepolian
20-06-2008, 09:58 AM
and also, is the dc5 luxury vtec?

Are you refering to the DC5S.?

Both DC5R/S are very good cars and respond to mods well.

Obviously the WRX is a completely different car to drive and has nothing in common with the DC5.

Just drive both and see which you like best. I'd like to state the obvious that from a maintenance point of view, especially if you're buyng secondhand, that the WRX would cost more to run in everyway! I'm sure there is a difference in the insurance aswell.

I believe when it comes to buying a car, just get the one you want so there are no regrets!

joey99
20-06-2008, 10:20 AM
power, torque and mods wise, the rex will be much better in my opinion having owned a 185wkw REX and a DC2R. Simple mods on a REX will gain you far greater power then putting alot of money into a DC5. I had a DC2R for 2 weeks and the lack of torque in hondas just drives me up the wall and you do have to rev it hard. Rexys can be modded to have alot of low down power and it just pushes it so quickly with the right mods on it. You just don't get that feeling from any honda ...maybe unless they're turboed. You'll never get anywhere near that sort of power at the wheels unless you're spending alot. And because the 05s have gone down in price and probably the best looking, I think it's a great buy .. and more practical as well.

one thing though , handling wise in standard form ... the DC5 will be alot better.

integra95
20-06-2008, 10:22 AM
The DC5 Luxury i've been seeing are on carpoint and carsales...they are around 18-20k. They don't, however, say Type S and some have lip kits and some dont? Im not sure if there is a different model?

Cheers for the comments:thumbsup:

Nepolian
20-06-2008, 10:30 AM
The DC5 Luxury i've been seeing are on carpoint and carsales...they are around 18-20k. They don't, however, say Type S and some have lip kits and some dont? Im not sure if there is a different model?

Cheers for the comments:thumbsup:

Type S's usually go for about the same money as the DC5R's, if not a liittle more since they're newer.

Just look at ther year model, I think Type s only came in about 04/05ish.....

Q_ball
20-06-2008, 11:07 AM
^ Not quite,
Most Type S's that i've seen still fetch over 30k...between 30-35.
Thats way higher than the DC5R bracket.

integra95
20-06-2008, 11:15 AM
so wots this integra luxury i keep seeing? they are a lot cheaper than the R's and S's and have leather buckets...they vtec or just like a GSi

Q_ball
20-06-2008, 11:19 AM
In the dc5 range, theres the Type R/S models, theres the Luxury model, and then theres the base model.

And yes, they all have vtec :)

Jackson15
20-06-2008, 11:33 AM
yeah base model and luxury sharing the same engine...not sure on the specs i think the base/luxury are around 118kw type r 147kw and type s 15?3 maybe, something like that correct if im wrong!....so yes they do all have vtec but big diff from base/luxury to typeR/S in terms or power!

XP02ED
20-06-2008, 11:35 AM
they dont have the same engine

but are in the k series range.

dslt
20-06-2008, 12:09 PM
U can easily pick up a ep3 for that price!

rawr
20-06-2008, 12:28 PM
power, torque and mods wise, the rex will be much better in my opinion having owned a 185wkw REX and a DC2R. Simple mods on a REX will gain you far greater power then putting alot of money into a DC5. I had a DC2R for 2 weeks and the lack of torque in hondas just drives me up the wall and you do have to rev it hard. Rexys can be modded to have alot of low down power and it just pushes it so quickly with the right mods on it. You just don't get that feeling from any honda ...maybe unless they're turboed. You'll never get anywhere near that sort of power at the wheels unless you're spending alot. And because the 05s have gone down in price and probably the best looking, I think it's a great buy .. and more practical as well.

one thing though , handling wise in standard form ... the DC5 will be alot better.

These are the traits of a honda. Poor low end torque and power and you have to push it up high to get power out of it. But in the end your comparing it to a turbo so its inevitable that it will have the traits that the honda's are missing

dc5jim
20-06-2008, 05:06 PM
From what I can rmbr when looking for a car: Back when the Type R was out, there was a 'base model'. Near the end of that run there was a 'special edition' with leather and stuff. These were all pre-facelift.

At the end of 04 there was the facelift model which came as a 'Luxury' or 'Type S' model. The lux looks a lot like the Type S except for the stock wheels (I think). It also came as an auto, which probably makes it a better commuter. Sometimes I tire of shifting...

Edit: Also, I really wanted to buy an S15, which didnt seem to be in your list of considerations and should be in your price range.

The DC5 still feels tight inside, as in the controls feel good and the panels all line up. I get around 10L/100km depending on how much traffic i get stuck in. A small issue is water in the headlights, which should be replaced under warranty, so check for that. I get 2nd/3rd gear crunch when I'm lazy, but so long as it's not a sign of breaking I dont mind. Guess it's an alright car. I like it and, more importantly, chicks like it haha
Good luck mate.

Mikes_DC5R
20-06-2008, 05:30 PM
yo... ima DC5R owner. ok yes the second gear crutches when cold, run the car for 10-15 minutes ebfore hand... also check the LSD. obviously check for chassis damage, which will effect the handling of the car. I also with suggest to take a corner fast, and give it the beens on the exit so you can feel the LSD doing its job. It shouldn't really spin its wheels. other things to check is common sense, so no need to explain.

But i love my DC5R.. i may sell it at the end of the Year due to my house...

FASN8U
20-06-2008, 05:52 PM
wel i bought the dc5 luxury and am very happy with it! good on petrol , comfy , sporty , and luxuruy fetures that im happy with. id reccomend it . but having said that i wouldnt look past a WRX if i could drive it on p's but as stated it would generaly cost more to own/run

mrntegra
21-06-2008, 10:35 AM
buy what car meets your needs mate...

but..
i had an LS integra then moved into a 12.9sec my98 WRX and have now moved back to honda and i got a 05 typeS.

Wrx will cost more for insurance and fuel(plus if it has been thrashed things go pear shape quick mate. I know mine did.)

The Dc5 is just so sexy and really fuel efficient. But lack torque(obviously).
The typeS has the same leather seats as the luxury model

The Dc5 base and luxury have same power 118kw, Type R has 147kw and the type S has 154kw. Torque is similar for all cars between 191nm and 194nm

hope this helps mate

Mitsubishi
21-06-2008, 01:01 PM
I own a DC5S and my brother owns a 05 WRX. This is all my opinion by the way.

WRX: More torque/power, interior is nice as goes the exterior, power difference more noticable due to turbo, mid-range especialy, insurance wise it'll costs more, fuel consumption will be more, handles better.

DC5S: Interior is fantastic, as well as the exterior, responds well to modifications, great on fuel, handling is awesome for a fwd and is grounded (depending how you drive), 2nd > 3rd gear theres an issue of a false shift but disappears after the engine gets warmer or can be fixed with some new tranny oil, cheaper insurance, cheaper fuel, fun car to drive. Lacks the torque but a top-end machine.

Two different cars, but two great cars. It comes down to your personal choice in the end.

Good luck!

FASN8U
21-06-2008, 01:28 PM
this guys on the money^

a family member of mine owns an 04/05 wrx which ive driven , handles real well , sticks to the road like sh it on a blanket when cornering on boost , although insurnace and running costs are a fair bit more than a dc5. but then again you cant compare the power difference , driving the rexy normal (easier said than done) its ok ish on fuel. on the other hand i think the dc5 is alot nicer looking and much classier interior. realy comes down to what youd prefer show or go

ekhybrid
21-06-2008, 01:33 PM
From what I can rmbr when looking for a car: Back when the Type R was out, there was a 'base model'. Near the end of that run there was a 'special edition' with leather and stuff. These were all pre-facelift.

At the end of 04 there was the facelift model which came as a 'Luxury' or 'Type S' model. The lux looks a lot like the Type S except for the stock wheels (I think). It also came as an auto, which probably makes it a better commuter. Sometimes I tire of shifting...

Edit: Also, I really wanted to buy an S15, which didnt seem to be in your list of considerations and should be in your price range.

The DC5 still feels tight inside, as in the controls feel good and the panels all line up. I get around 10L/100km depending on how much traffic i get stuck in. A small issue is water in the headlights, which should be replaced under warranty, so check for that. I get 2nd/3rd gear crunch when I'm lazy, but so long as it's not a sign of breaking I dont mind. Guess it's an alright car. I like it and, more importantly, chicks like it haha
Good luck mate.

pre facelift had a lux model

turbo convert
21-06-2008, 08:54 PM
i agree with everything Mitsubishi said. I had the 04wrx and ended up selling it to get an evo because i should have just brought the sti. Where as if you get the dc5r you are at the top already of the family tree unless you go s2k "but its 2 seater" so diffrent all together. Might be something to think about.:wave:

2002 TeGgY
22-06-2008, 02:47 PM
do not go for the base dc5, you will regret it. i know i did, which is why i got a dc5r.

jords
22-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Buy a DC2R for 20K and spend 5K on some decent mods and you have a way better car than both the WRX and DC5S.

AzKik-R
22-06-2008, 07:50 PM
At the rate fuel is going..... get the dc5R!!!!
you wont believe the fuel price for a wrx, all for a little better acceleration.
dont get me wrong, I love wrx's & evo's(I have an evo wagon)
as petrol prices go up, your ability to on-sell the car will go down.

Bludger
23-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Everyone here has pretty much answered everything that you need to make your decision, cos in the end, it has to be you and you alone which makes the choice

just get the one you want so there are no regrets!this is how I buy my cars, I fall blindly in love and no one can convince me otherwise to stop the purchase, when I have fallen in love.

integra95
24-06-2008, 07:27 AM
All very valid points. I think after all of that the DC5 looks like a good choice. I just got a pay rise too so its all looking very feasible now.

Allthough i love rex's I don't think i could afford to insure one (not the best driving record) and run it. A very good point that the DC5R is already at "the top of the family tree" and they pretty much come ready to hang around corners.

My main criteria for a car was that it had to have some stick, be 4cyl, look nice and be comfortable and feel tight on the road. From jumping straight out of a GSi i think the DC5R will satisfy my needs very well.

Ill have to look on that website "how safe is your car" to compare safety features too!

Appreciate all the comments now i've just gotta find the right DC5R :thumbsup:

FASN8U
24-06-2008, 05:06 PM
dont hold me to it . but i think i read somwhere that the DC5 has a 4star safety rating wich i found suprising for a smaller car. although id hate to be in the backseat of my car in a nast smash

integra95
25-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I looked on the TAC website www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au and they only show the safety specifications for up to 2001 on the integras and nothing on the DC5's

andyhui01
25-06-2008, 10:29 AM
At the rate fuel is going..... get the dc5R!!!!
you wont believe the fuel price for a wrx, all for a little better acceleration.
dont get me wrong, I love wrx's & evo's(I have an evo wagon)
as petrol prices go up, your ability to on-sell the car will go down.

that is so true... I moved from a Civic into a 160wkw Forester GT and it just drinks like there's no tomorrow, I don't boost all the time, I can go for entire journey's without boosting. Once it starts boosting, my fuel needle starts going down... haha. I get 350km to a 60l tank, 400km if I do more freeway and that's on granny driving.

At the fuel rates, trust me... DC5R is a better buy, plus you just have to be ready to spend some money in getting it running well once you buy it.

Philip Lee
25-06-2008, 11:14 AM
i know i'm a little OT but have you considered the EP3?

it is within your budget and more practical than a DC5.

integra95
25-06-2008, 11:26 AM
that is so true... I moved from a Civic into a 160wkw Forester GT and it just drinks like there's no tomorrow, I don't boost all the time, I can go for entire journey's without boosting. Once it starts boosting, my fuel needle starts going down... haha. I get 350km to a 60l tank, 400km if I do more freeway and that's on granny driving.

At the fuel rates, trust me... DC5R is a better buy, plus you just have to be ready to spend some money in getting it running well once you buy it.

My whole reason for looking at the DC5R was that it didn't need too much tweeking to have it running quite good once purchased, I thought that was the whole idea of Honda making the Type R is that they are ready to go...I am jumping out of a DC4 i think ill be overwhelmed by the quality and power of the R.

Things like intake, exhaust and cluth/lightened flywheel would follow but im not planning on having a power house DC5R with too many mods.

Phillip Lee - I understand that the EP3 is in my budget but im not a fan of the body shape, and as for performance im not sure of the difference between the Type R and the EP3..How do you mean it will be more pratical?

Philip Lee
25-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Phillip Lee - I understand that the EP3 is in my budget but im not a fan of the body shape, and as for performance im not sure of the difference between the Type R and the EP3..How do you mean it will be more pratical?

The performance diff won't be massive. just more power, slightly better handling.

by practical i mean EP3 has bigger interior/boot space. only if you want to put adults in the back seat or need to carry stuff around. i'm 183cm and my head doesn't touch the roof at the back.

also i'd think most EP3 would have lower km travelled given the same age as local Dc5.

integra95
25-06-2008, 11:59 AM
yea that is true i just had a look at they seem to be around the 30,000km mark which is quite good. I still cant be convinced with the body shape however. I think the DC5's look more aggresive and manly lol

Philip Lee
25-06-2008, 12:18 PM
I still cant be convinced with the body shape however. I think the DC5's look more aggresive and manly lol

maybe this thread (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78683) may convince you otherwise lol.

both Rs are good cars so pick the shape you like most if space isn't an issue.

kongfu
25-06-2008, 03:55 PM
By on my experience, AUDM DC5R stock is very slow so for your budget I would buy a EP3 over DC5 due to JDM K20 is more powerful. : )

Plus you need lots of $$ to make it fun/faster. pre faced EP3 is your best bet.

damo46
25-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Of course this is a honda forum and your going to be pointed towards a honda.
Depends what application you want your car for, if u solely want it for a daily and thats all then i dont see why you want any of the cars your saying.
If u want to track it and throw a bit of mods on it then it comes down to personal prefrence what car u like to drive.
Dont worry what the car looks on the outside its how u feel on the inside!!

andyhui01
25-06-2008, 04:45 PM
yea that is true i just had a look at they seem to be around the 30,000km mark which is quite good. I still cant be convinced with the body shape however. I think the DC5's look more aggresive and manly lol

Please bear in mind that for Jap Import cars, 99.5% of the cars have had their odometer wound back... please remember Japan as a country relies very heavily on cars as a transport and they love driving around the country during holidays (apart from Tokyo residents). Although the EP3 may sound like a so called special car to use, people there simply use them as their daily cars.

integra95
26-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Of course this is a honda forum and your going to be pointed towards a honda.
Depends what application you want your car for, if u solely want it for a daily and thats all then i dont see why you want any of the cars your saying.
If u want to track it and throw a bit of mods on it then it comes down to personal prefrence what car u like to drive.
Dont worry what the car looks on the outside its how u feel on the inside!!

Well then if thats the case everyone would be driving around in hyundai getz. You don't have to go on a track because ur car is performance. There are sooooo many people driving quick cars as daily drivers or else there'd be no fun in driving to work everyday.

My Dad drives a GT3 porsche, he doesnt take it on track and drives it everyday to and from work, clocks up heaps of ks, but he loves it and loves driving it.

And to me apearance is a huge percentage, in purchasing a car i look at
- Performance
- Appearance
- Reliability
- Safety
- Comfort

And try and balance everything, but at the end of the day i go with my gut feeling to which im going to have the most fun in.

Thanks for the comments :thumbsup:

pattyd89
26-06-2008, 11:42 AM
get a rexy.
When you plant your foot, the feel of your body getting pulled back just puts a smile on your dial!

T-onedc2
26-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Please bear in mind that for Jap Import cars, 99.5% of the cars have had their odometer wound back...
Do you have any proof to support that?

Japan also has high rego cost for older cars hence they sell them with low km.

FASN8U
26-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Do you have any proof to support that?

Japan also has high rego cost for older cars hence they sell them with low km.

not tryin to be a smartass but wouldnt that just give them more reason to wynd the odometer back?

T-onedc2
26-06-2008, 07:17 PM
not tryin to be a smartass but wouldnt that just give them more reason to wynd the odometer back?
but if the km's are low anyway why bother? If anyone did it I'd expect the importers to do it tho. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but the above is a big claim to make without a reliable source.

SXC-84K
26-06-2008, 08:34 PM
whats this bout every1 saying rexies have bad fuel economy? my mates got 1 and its all about how u drive it.... shes got a bug eye rex and gets 550+kms per tank pretty alright if u ask me, if not better than a dc5r

andyhui01
26-06-2008, 08:43 PM
but if the km's are low anyway why bother? If anyone did it I'd expect the importers to do it tho. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but the above is a big claim to make without a reliable source.

My neighbour's family back in Malaysia imports cars from Japan to sell them as Second Hand (They import a wide range of cars from MPV's to sports cars)... we've bought 3 JDM Cars from them, a WRX, Estima (Tarago here) and Alphard (Bigger version of the Tarago). The WRX was a 02 Bugeye with 15,000km (Bought in 2006), Alphard was 3 years old with 5000km and Estima was 3 years with 8000km. None of the cars still had the original tyre, they were half worn on their second set of tyres, wear on the seats.

And this is on almost all the cars that come in from Japan, plus having been there and having a cousin who lives there, I've seen how much they drive.

But I'm not saying that you'll never find one that is genuine, but on most occasions, they are not. I've only seen genuine ones on R34 and R33 GTR skylines, and they weren't that low... R33GTR with about 70,000km last year. But for a EP3 Civic which is considered pretty cheap in Japan, it'd be hard to find one that has been taken care of very well.

Even some nicer importers will tell you that alot of the JDM cars odo's have been wound back

Civic VTi-R
26-06-2008, 10:24 PM
hey integra95, my mate is sellin his 2004 DC5R if your interested just pm me

2004 DC5R, silver/black, no mods factory stock, low kms only 45,000, rego till october 2008

air23box
27-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Please bear in mind that for Jap Import cars, 99.5% of the cars have had their odometer wound back... please remember Japan as a country relies very heavily on cars as a transport and they love driving around the country during holidays (apart from Tokyo residents). Although the EP3 may sound like a so called special car to use, people there simply use them as their daily cars.

Not truth......its digital so you can't to anything of it.....plus jap ppl dun drive like us here.....unless from country area.....but they will sell it of b4 it hit 50000km anywayz....due to price is a lot cheaper.....When they go for long trip they normally rent a cal coz price is so much cheaper then here......I live there before and I know how things work there....

My neighbour's family back in Malaysia imports
Even some nicer importers will tell you that alot of the JDM cars odo's have been wound back

Its totally illegal to do that in Japan and most of them are digital these days.....most Japan ppl take their cars to factory to do service coz it doesn't cost as much as here......and when they export car from their country they have lots of stuff to check......what they may do is swap the high km dash with low km one but that normally done after they leave the country by the importer.....

My opinion is test drive them both and see which one you like.....but due to the high petrol price you pretty much go toward DC5......and to help yourself to make the final decision is what do you want from your car.....I think this been cover so many times......if you will see track....get a DC5R....but if you just mod it up a bit and only use it as daily.....a base or Type S will be the choice....but seeing you come from a DC4 any DC5 range will satisfied ur needs......interior is more moden, more space, more power and less road noise to the cabin......its a better car to live with......but keep in mine its a 2 door couple at the end of the day....ans rex have 4 doors.....If I have a family I will go rex.....if not for sure DC5 all the way.....

So many good points been cover by other members and I think its still up to you to make the final judgement......good luck with the search and let us know how things work out......

johnprocter
27-06-2008, 07:10 AM
the question is do you want to hear the roaaaar of VTEC or do you want to hear the PSSSSSTCHHHHH of a blow off valve ladddd

integra95
27-06-2008, 07:55 AM
hey integra95, my mate is sellin his 2004 DC5R if your interested just pm me

2004 DC5R, silver/black, no mods factory stock, low kms only 45,000, rego till october 2008

deffinately interested has he posted it for sale on any of the car sites/forums?...PM me and give me some details

cheers :thumbsup:

integra95
27-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Not truth......its digital so you can't to anything of it.....plus jap ppl dun drive like us here.....unless from country area.....but they will sell it of b4 it hit 50000km anywayz....due to price is a lot cheaper.....When they go for long trip they normally rent a cal coz price is so much cheaper then here......I live there before and I know how things work there....

Its totally illegal to do that in Japan and most of them are digital these days.....most Japan ppl take their cars to factory to do service coz it doesn't cost as much as here......and when they export car from their country they have lots of stuff to check......what they may do is swap the high km dash with low km one but that normally done after they leave the country by the importer.....

My opinion is test drive them both and see which one you like.....but due to the high petrol price you pretty much go toward DC5......and to help yourself to make the final decision is what do you want from your car.....I think this been cover so many times......if you will see track....get a DC5R....but if you just mod it up a bit and only use it as daily.....a base or Type S will be the choice....but seeing you come from a DC4 any DC5 range will satisfied ur needs......interior is more moden, more space, more power and less road noise to the cabin......its a better car to live with......but keep in mine its a 2 door couple at the end of the day....ans rex have 4 doors.....If I have a family I will go rex.....if not for sure DC5 all the way.....

So many good points been cover by other members and I think its still up to you to make the final judgement......good luck with the search and let us know how things work out......

I think after all the opinions im deffinately going to have a look at the DC5 series. Pretty pumped to get out there and have a look now...jsut got sell the dc4 and im good to go.

Thanks for all the comments :thumbsup:

andyhui01
27-06-2008, 01:11 PM
mate, the DC5R is a good choice as well... both are at completely diff ends of the scale though. For the Integra, its vtecing the motor that gives you the most pleasure, the engine feels like it loves to rev right up to the limiter. Scooby's on the other hand is all about the torque and the boost at about 3000-4000.

When I drive the Honda's, I keep hitting vtec even on the streets and only shifting closer to redline, when i drove my Scooby... I find myself shifting at about 4000ish rpm instead. Its just a completely different feel to driving it.

but my suggestion is start with a DC5R and move on to boost later on, hopefully you'll have the same experience as me where you'll love boost but after awhile, you'll just miss the rev happy Honda motors :P.

air23box, mate... I'm sorry, I read through your post twice and I can't seem to understand what you're trying to say. But I'm 100% sure you can wind back Digital Odo's, they're just as easy as analogue ones these days...

FASN8U
28-06-2008, 01:01 PM

mate digital odo's can be wound back to , if they no what there doing and crack the settings its actually easier than a analog one beleive it or not.

VT1-R
28-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Nv go base integra for 118kw..its like the GSI.. living in the shadow of the big boys..

Go DC5R.. with 20-25k.. Kms are not tat big an issue with honda and N/a cars.. DC5R has sufficient daily torque and gd power(147kw) with superb handling ready for fun..

20-25k if u getting the facelifted WRX 05 model.. the sedan 1 i presume.. not the hatch tat jus came out... I dun tink u can get a decent one for under 25k.. and u would wan a turbo car to come at a decent/low km so its good condition etc..

So IMO, either get the 03 wrx for 20-25k... save more to get the 05wrx or 03wrx STI(which would wipe every1 out)... if not DC5R is the best to get given ur budget...

Amusevtec
29-06-2008, 01:35 AM
I own a '03 DC5R, and I got to swap cars with my friend's '05 WRX for a day.

To live with day to day, i'd definately pick a wrx. Four doors, seats are easy to get in and out of. It feels higher and just feels like a regular car. Light steering, clutch etc. The only thing i hate is the gearbox, feels so shit lol.

Nothing beats a turbo rush, especially in first and second gear. The grip is amazing but the steering lets it down imo.

But I love driving my DC5R everyday, the seating position is lower than the rex. The gearbox feel is alot nicer and so is the interior overall. The steering is alot heavier but you get more feedback. Depending on the way you drive and what your used to, the screaming engine has an appeal of its own.

After driving the wrx, I thought jumping in my car would feel weak compared to the strong turbo pull. But the instant response of the NA engine definately makes you see both sides of the story.

Drive both and take which ever you feels the best for you

FASN8U
29-06-2008, 11:11 AM
dude are you serious? a wrx clutch is anything but light

2002 TeGgY
29-06-2008, 01:04 PM
actually i agree with Amusevtec, the WRX clutch and steering are lighter than that of the DC5R

aaronng
29-06-2008, 01:33 PM

Softie! :) Go drive an S2000 and then come back and complain about the S2000 clutch being heavier than the WRX. The WRX you drove probably had an aftermarket clutch.

VT1-R
29-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Softie! :) Go drive an S2000 and then come back and complain about the S2000 clutch being heavier than the WRX. The WRX you drove probably had an aftermarket clutch.

I drove my uncle's STI with stock clutch.. it as easy as ABC... I have exedy sports clutch on my ek.. I can say the STI stock clutch is slightly easier to play with than my exedy at times..

kongfu
29-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I would choose DC5R over 05 WRX...DC5R is just more fun to drive and easy to maintain.

but if you give me an option for DC5R vs 05 WRX STI...I would pick STI then.

Amusevtec
29-06-2008, 10:57 PM

Yeah I'm being serious why? Go drive one.

IZY-10
30-06-2008, 12:11 AM
does a wrx have a different clutch than a sti? Because the two stock ones i have driven (00 & 06) have a pretty light clutch to me

integra95
01-07-2008, 08:26 AM
this is really a noob question. but i dont know the answer, so i am going to ask!!!

DC2's have too face lifts (95 shape then the 97 onwards with the different front)

Is there a facelift for the DC5 and if there is what year did it come in and what is the difference between the 2?:confused:

T-onedc2
01-07-2008, 08:38 AM
this is really a noob question. but i dont know the answer, so i am going to ask!!!

DC2's have too face lifts (95 shape then the 97 onwards with the different front)

Is there a facelift for the DC5 and if there is what year did it come in and what is the difference between the 2?:confused:
The facelift came when Honda AU dropped the Type R and sold the Type S.

air23box
01-07-2008, 01:28 PM
its 96 spec and 98 spec for DC2....and 02 spec and 04 facelift for DC5:thumbsup:

Chi
01-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Its 05 you gronk Eddy lol.

02-04, 05-06

air23box
01-07-2008, 01:44 PM
opps......you get me chi......haha.....