View Full Version : insurence question

kcokla
20-06-2008, 08:02 PM
hello
just tinted my windows below legal limit
do i need to tell my insurance company?

sassy_fit_vtit
20-06-2008, 11:16 PM
insurance companies won't cover stuff you haven't told them about. Advising them Shouldn't affect your policy but last thing u want is having an insurance repair and not getting tint on your windows because you were too lazy.

Dy_
21-06-2008, 12:08 PM
i dont think you should tell them its illegal.

they wont cover you in event of an accident...insurance assessors these days check tints aswell.

mattchuej8
21-06-2008, 05:45 PM
both true.
personally i wouldnt tell them, because its illegal.
and they might not cover you at all.

either u tell them and the might not cover you
or
you dont tell them, they fix the whole car except for tint.

aaronng
21-06-2008, 06:30 PM
both true.
personally i wouldnt tell them, because its illegal.
and they might not cover you at all.

either u tell them and the might not cover you
or
you dont tell them, they fix the whole car except for tint.
FALSE! They don't cover the car AT ALL! It is written in the insurance policy booklet. If you don't declare any mods, they reserve the right to void your cover. The only way you will stay covered if the car is stolen and not recovered, or if there is a fire which burns everything down.

sassy_fit_vtit
21-06-2008, 07:55 PM
^correct.

Your pds (terms and conditions) stipulate that you have a duty to disclose particular info to the company or they have the right to reduce or refuse a claim or treat the policy is if it ways nul and void. And if you read "what we do not cover" it notes that the vehicle is to be in a road worthy state.

Dy_
21-06-2008, 08:08 PM
yep they're right if you dont disclose it --> GG

but soemthing you can do is maybe when you crash get the car home and take the tints off.

they also dont cover anything illegal. so you cant tell them either.

NSPYRE
21-06-2008, 08:38 PM
untrue... had rims, full exhaust and headers on my DA and still got covered on a total write off for the car except for the mod parts

SHOGUNOVDDRK
21-06-2008, 08:44 PM
(IMHO) It really varies from insurance company to insurance company and what cover you have with them

I had a mate who owned a commodore with 18's welded on fart can and a few wank off mods and when he got written off (not his fault) he wasnt covered

Another mate of mine owned a ED civic with tints (what imho were illegal) exhaust mismatched (and sized) rims and he got covered 100%

Dy_
21-06-2008, 10:14 PM
yeah it really depends on your policy.

tints can go upto 5% for pre aug97' cars i think it was, cause thats when the law changed.

after that its 35%[RUBBISH]

sassy_fit_vtit
21-06-2008, 10:26 PM
at the end of the day it comes down to the discretion of the assesser. I actually work for an insurance company.

Be smart and do your research before spending money on any mods because your putting it all down to a maybe.

kazam
21-06-2008, 11:42 PM
yeah it really depends on your policy.

tints can go upto 5% for pre aug97' cars i think it was, cause thats when the law changed.

after that its 35%[RUBBISH]

in NSW its Pre 1994

baeshin
22-06-2008, 12:10 PM
in NSW its Pre 1994

what does that mean? so a car older then 1994 can get their tints done to 5% ??

Zilli
22-06-2008, 12:20 PM
the reality is most of the time it wont matter... IF and ONLY IF they need to justify that your tinted windows were contributory to the accident then they will test it... dont forget assessors have been in the motor trade for a long time, and they will know when windows are darker than normal

kazam
22-06-2008, 12:21 PM
no, if the tints were dun pre 94, they can be watever they want, because obviously wen the rule was introduced december of 93, they did not expect people with <35&#37; tint to go change it to meet the legal level.

Dy_
22-06-2008, 01:31 PM
in NSW its Pre 1994

lol oh yeah thats right...i was thinking 94 or 97

RtN
22-06-2008, 02:00 PM
LOL hmm so if we get like rims, exhaust, headers, recaros then... our insurance is voided if undeclared unless stolen and burnt?

kazam
22-06-2008, 02:03 PM
lol oh yeah thats right...i was thinking 94 or 97

yes of course i'll accept rep points for correcting your error.

sassy_fit_vtit
22-06-2008, 02:37 PM
LOL hmm so if we get like rims, exhaust, headers, recaros then... our insurance is voided if undeclared unless stolen and burnt?

You void your policy if they are illegal,

BUT if you do not declare it to the company it also might void your policy because if might fall out of their acceptance criteria...

If it is still within their acceptance criteria they might not cover those items if they were to be damaged or stolen because again you havent told them.

Dy_
22-06-2008, 02:39 PM

yeah according to my policy if i make a mod and dont declare it...even if it gets stolen = no claim.

they explained it as e.g. 'reason it was stolen was cause of the recaro seats'

Pumped
22-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Insurance law and regulation in Australia is very consumer biased, it would be very very hard for an insurance company to void your total insurance because of minor modifications, they may not pay the whole claim etc, but for them to not pay a claim completely there has to be obvious blatant lies from the customer

it would be very hard for an insurer to void a claim on minor issues, they know this, they just wont admit it to you straight up

What the policy says, and what they can legally do are different

RtN
22-06-2008, 04:19 PM
yeah according to my policy if i make a mod and dont declare it...even if it gets stolen = no claim.

they explained it as e.g. 'reason it was stolen was cause of the recaro seats'

If it's stolen how would they know what's in it?

Dy_
22-06-2008, 04:54 PM
If it's stolen how would they know what's in it?

umm i dunno?

its hard to prove even if it was retrieved.

its just what they said to me.