PDA

View Full Version : car shakes a lil' while turning...

Blitzen
21-06-2008, 07:01 PM
ey fellers, i need your broad technical knowledge to help me out on a strange problem I have with my Accord Euro...

Purchased 2003, it the first batch that arrived in Australia, and all four of it's OEM Dunlop tyres are still currently used, legally. Because it's not a daily car, it's only done under 30,000km so far.

The problem is I felt some strange vibrations while the car was turning on both directions at slow speeds, on very smooth indoor shopping centre carpark surface, just normal 90' turns, no full lock. Just small vibrations, I remember once it was shaking really bad, thought it was a puncture. now just small, noticable vibrations.

I know the car needs new tyres, and wheel allignment, the steering vibration is really bad at 110km/h, thought I had a puncture on the freeway...

would that be the problem? wheels out of allignment?

thanks fellers

Riced_Civic
22-06-2008, 05:05 PM
wheel balance maby

aaronng
22-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Yeah, wheel balance if it is vibrating at 110km/h. I'd seriously change the tyres. Being 5 years old, the tyres would have hardened a lot. My Euro is an 04 and in 2007 last year, they were already heaps hardened

In the carpark, it is actually the tyres spinning against the coated floor. I have RE001 which are grippier than the OEM Dunlop SP2050m's and I actually get a rubber rubbing screeching sound when I turn 90 degrees in the smoothfloor carparks. Don't worry. When you turn and start getting knocking sounds, then start worrying!

Blitzen
22-06-2008, 06:08 PM
nice, thanks guys

vinnY
22-06-2008, 11:26 PM
while on the topic of vibrating wheels
tracked the car last week, noticed vibrations above the 120km/h mark

safe to assume the guys who fitted my tires 1.5months ago stuffed up the balancing? no weights have fallen off and cold pressures are 36psi/38psi(front/rear)
last wheel alignment was done under a year ago.. current settings are 0mm toe all around and -0.7° camber at the rear and -1.3° camber at the front

aaronng
23-06-2008, 12:34 AM
while on the topic of vibrating wheels
tracked the car last week, noticed vibrations above the 120km/h mark

safe to assume the guys who fitted my tires 1.5months ago stuffed up the balancing? no weights have fallen off and cold pressures are 36psi/38psi(front/rear)
last wheel alignment was done under a year ago.. current settings are 0mm toe all around and -0.7° camber at the rear and -1.3° camber at the front

Was it cyclic vibrations with a rhythm? Or was it just random vibrations? Might be caused by 0mm toe at the rear. The stock setting has +1mm toe in on each rear corner for high speed stability.

vinnY
23-06-2008, 12:38 AM
not real way to describe it to be honest.. no real rhythm, just seems to 'wobble' very slightly at higher speeds?

getting a wheel alignment again soon anyhow, will get them to dial in +1mm on each of the rears and see how i go

aaronng
23-06-2008, 01:59 AM
If you can, get a different shop to check the wheel balance.