PDA

View Full Version : Launch Control

todaek9
22-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi guys,

Nowadays there's lots of ECU that offers Launch Ctrl...But is there any diff between what diff ECU has to offer?

hmm...

RICER23Q
23-06-2008, 09:16 AM
say what?

todaek9
23-06-2008, 10:56 AM
is all launch ctrl on ECU such as AEM, Hondata, Motec, Autronic etc etc the same???

RICER23Q
23-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Pretty much, it's just basically an ignition cut... more commonly referred to as a 'two-step' rev-limiter...

Unless you are talking about traction control as well, whereby the answer is no, they are not all the same...

todaek9
23-06-2008, 07:34 PM
thx..

Weq
03-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Pretty much, it's just basically an ignition cut... more commonly referred to as a 'two-step' rev-limiter...

Unless you are talking about traction control as well, whereby the answer is no, they are not all the same...

Unless your talking about launch control.

There are two tyes, ignition and fuel cut.

On an NA car, they are the basically the same.
On a FI car, its the difference between 1-3psi off the line, or 10-20psi. Ignition giving the later. But its also the difference between turbo turbo longevity. Being the former, fuel.

bungsai
03-07-2008, 04:21 PM
are there detrimental effects of running ignition cut on an mild 'bolt ons' NA engine?

Weq
03-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Na. The downsides come from the engine pushing all the fuel into the turbo charger, where it tends to explode. This causes premature wear/failure of the turbo bearings/wheels/shafts.

bungsai
03-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Good, cos ignition cut sounds more fun than fuel cut.

edit - oh wait, logically this could be to the detriment of my cat?

Although i am using a metallic cat.

CRXer
03-07-2008, 07:20 PM
ignition cut sounds far more spectacular,but cats dont like it at all,even metal cats.Exhaust valves dont like it either.

itr_112
04-07-2008, 10:08 PM
ignition cut = flames?????????????

delsol9000rpms
06-07-2008, 11:35 PM
no not always..sometimes

todaek9
09-07-2008, 08:18 PM
seen plenty on Turbo cars..but seldom on N/A...

CRXer
09-07-2008, 08:28 PM
seen plenty on Turbo cars..but seldom on N/A...

the jdmyard civic uses it,i even tried it on my shitbox,lol.
plenty of NA cars around loading up on an LC

ONE600
09-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Its a waste of time, track conditions always change. Ive seen so many ppl having it and regreting it. I wouldnt get it unless u can change it ur self

CRXer
09-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Its a waste of time, track conditions always change. Ive seen so many ppl having it and regreting it. I wouldnt get it unless u can change it ur self

QFT

especially on a car not running slicks or high HP.

RICER23Q
10-07-2008, 08:51 AM

I have to agree here, unless you can tune it at the track, it's hard to get the right setup...

delsol9000rpms
10-07-2008, 01:32 PM
x2 if you havnt setup launch control you must bring a laptop to experiment...

it sucks if you dnt have an lsd and good tyres... ive found launch control to work ok without an lsd and good tyres if you rev it out but only 3 quarter throttle... if you go full throttle expect lots of wheeel spin and shit 60ft times lol

CRXer
10-07-2008, 06:32 PM

it sucks if you dnt have an lsd and good tyres... ive found launch control to work ok without an lsd and good tyres if you rev it out but only 3 quarter throttle... if you go full throttle expect lots of wheeel spin and shit 60ft times lol

i adjusted mine right down to 2500rpm last time & still got nowhere,still no amount of clutch work or throttle back off could get me off the line,if u have to back off the throttle under launch control theres not much point having it activated to begin with.

todaek9
10-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Dude, i was saying throwing flame...seldom sees it on N/A cars...

the jdmyard civic uses it,i even tried it on my shitbox,lol.
plenty of NA cars around loading up on an LC

CRXer
10-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Dude, i was saying throwing flame...seldom sees it on N/A cars...

seldom do NA cars go to ignition cut,dont need to try spool no turbo,so not needed,fuel cut is fine.

todaek9
10-07-2008, 10:35 PM
And this is why i'd ask does Launch control offered by all the ECU has the same system/function/setup...I guess some are just diff..
you do not need a laptop on the spot to experiment with it...some ecu does offer Data Logging for x amount of time...tuner then will mix and match the best possible launch using the log and create a file best suit the car...

CRXer
10-07-2008, 10:41 PM
And this is why i'd ask does Launch control offered by all the ECU has the same system/function/setup...I guess some are just diff..
you do not need a laptop on the spot to experiment with it...some ecu does offer Data Logging for x amount of time...tuner then will mix and match the best possible launch using the log and create a file best suit the car...

dude ,the tuner would not have a clue what the track conditions are going to be on the night,they change dramatically,what are u gonna datalog to adjust for this??????????

todaek9
10-07-2008, 10:51 PM
ok...let me ask...if comparing 18 degree and 30 degree, will it gonna change 0.5 sec of your time???

launch ctrl that offers ground speed detection will help to give an est of "more or less wheel spin" while u launch the car...so track temp will not have too much to concern if the file created is perfect...

CRXer
10-07-2008, 10:55 PM
ok...let me ask...if comparing 18 degree and 30 degree, will it gonna change 0.5 sec of your time???

ask jdmyard who are playing with hundreds even thousands of a second atm.

also add track temp,tyre temp,rubber down,humidity....list goes on,ive never seen a datalogger in our end of the market thats gonna determine anything like thies for u.

CRXer
10-07-2008, 10:58 PM

launch ctrl that offers ground speed detection will help to give an est of "more or less wheel spin" while u launch the car...so track temp will not have too much to concern if the file created is perfect...

speed detection coupled with rpm is only gonna give u a look at what went wrong for how long,not tell u exactly where the track is at for any given run

todaek9
10-07-2008, 11:10 PM
and exactly which ECU are you running may i ask since i can assume that you have quite abit of knowledge about LC...

CRXer
10-07-2008, 11:13 PM
and exactly which ECU are you running may i ask since i can assume that you have quite abit of knowledge about LC...

s300:thumbsup:

todaek9
10-07-2008, 11:23 PM
ohh...heard many good stuff bout the S300...
how many sensors did you run on the car with LC setup??...

CRXer
10-07-2008, 11:26 PM
ohh...heard many good stuff bout the S300...
how many sensors did you run on the car with LC setup??...

all sensors are datalogged at all times,the only thing involved with the LC is simply a clutch switch.

RICER23Q
11-07-2008, 08:41 AM
This thread makes my head hurt now.

toda - just listen to what CRXer is saying...

grumpy rooster
11-07-2008, 01:54 PM
This thread makes my head hurt now.

toda - just listen to what CRXer is saying...

If you are serious you will adjust the setup at the track to suit the conditions.

EG5
11-07-2008, 02:15 PM

The answer is no
From What We experienced , temperature difference will not change your ET by 0.5 sec. But again this is depending on how consistence you are .

grumpy rooster
11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Just to clarify, that difference in temperature won't affect your times that much if your talking about the difference in power. But if you are talking about how the track will affect the times from these temperatures then yes, it does make a difference but more like 2-3/10ths of a sec.

When you get really cold conditions the track cools down a LOT and then becomes very slippery. Your 60ft times will increase which in turn increases your ET. This is what happened at Compak Attak, so much so that they cancelled the remaining part of the event because the track cooled down so much that it was like an ice rink for the more powerful cars.

Essentially what the guys are saying is that there is no "one setup fits all conditions". You may have a good base setup that is fairly good for most situations but to optimise your ET's on a given day there will always be some adjustments to be made. Ask Yonas how many different tyre pressure and rpm settings on the launch control he may try at any one street meet. The only way to find out what works is to try things. Launch control settings and different methods of launch control is just one part of it.

Drag racing is not as easy as a lot of people make it out to be, especially in a FWD. :)

hisoka
11-07-2008, 03:52 PM
get a bee R rev limiter LC system, as it can be adjusted anytime,

nigs
11-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Having used and tried to setup LC/two-step myself (Haltech ECU).

I found manual launches gave quicker ETs.
Got a quicker reaction time with LC and pretty flames but that's about it.

It might be a personal thing or maybe more suited to cars with high HP or AWD. Where clutch and throttle aren't too important.
Dial in the RPMs, side step clutch, bury pedal into floor and hold on.

Shooting 1m flames is hella worth it, just for launch control :p

delsol9000rpms
12-07-2008, 02:12 PM
side step clutch,

ay mate what does that mean?

todaek9
12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
but some ECU offers limited wheel spin correspondent to rear wheel speed while you use LC function...But a good setup can help a 60ft and ET alot more consistent...

i only know that track temp will either make the track less or more grip..

RICER23Q
13-07-2008, 08:42 AM
but some ECU offers limited wheel spin correspondent to rear wheel speed while you use LC function...But a good setup can help a 60ft and ET alot more consistent...

Yes, but in a lot of cases, it has to be adjusted as well according to the track. It is just a set of values inputted, they do not change according to how the car is driving at the time. Unless it is a quite advanced one.

grumpy rooster
13-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Iif you are so sure about what you are saying why ask the question in the first place? Its almost like you have an opinion and no what anyone tells you, you will only listen to what you want to hear.

CRXer
13-07-2008, 05:58 PM

As RICER said,thats some mighty sophisticated electronics your talking about there,of which ive never seen or even heard of in LCs at the everyday end of the market.

Mind pointing me in the direction of where u found such a product?

Read back a few posts ,u'll see how hard it is to setup,even if being of any use at all on street tyres,before u can get to any level of consistency at all.

todaek9
14-07-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm just not sure is all the LC function'ed the same way, thats why i'd ask...and that's why i'd said "SOME"...not all...i didn't ask how to tune and all that...

all i'm asking if there is a diff in every ECU that offers LC, what is so diff bout it...thats all...

Yes, there are some High end ECU offers some serious function so that it'll limit the " wheel spin " correspondent to the "Real Speed" when you Launch...just see how those cars offers LC for rear wheel drive...

Iif you are so sure about what you are saying why ask the question in the first place? Its almost like you have an opinion and no what anyone tells you, you will only listen to what you want to hear.

grumpy rooster
14-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Remember that a "2 step" rev limiter and traction control are NOT the same thing. I think you are confusing the 2 and adding them together to get launch control. Unless I am mistaken (which does happen ;)) you are wanting both that only comes with very high end systems as has been said. Unless your willing to empty your pockets a number of times over you will either get a "2 step" system (most probably) or a traction control system which is much more expensive and requires many wheel sensors.

todaek9
14-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Hmm...but does those Ferrari's had TCS while using LC?...
and how F1 launch their car W/o TCS?...

RICER23Q
14-07-2008, 09:49 PM
go and ask ferrari.

ONE600
15-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Hmm...but does those Ferrari's had TCS while using LC?...
and how F1 launch their car W/o TCS?...

The 599, does use traction control and has much more advance LC system. Most common LC systems on the market is a pretty much set at a certain rpm where as the ferarri you can launch at any hi rpm and tcs takes over.

F1 cars these days are all manual. No launch or tration control is allowed, except they use their fingers to control the clutch

todaek9
15-07-2008, 01:01 PM
ok..thanx for all the info...
So i guess Some LC uses TCS as one...