PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make 8 ohm car speakers??

Muzz
22-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Im wondering if anyone makes an 8 ohm, 6" car speaker, im hoping to bridge the fronts and rears of my hearunit, and the lowest each channel can go is 4 ohm.

Id searched all over the internet and came up with nothing.
Is there such a thing?

TRU32U
23-06-2008, 04:10 AM
man just run house hold speakers majority of them run 6 or 8 impendnce
why would you want to anyways wont make it any louder cause your resistance still the same as 4...
advice, get cheap speakers if thats why your after but if you really really want to do what your wanting to do, house hold speakers all the way, or SOME marine speakers are 8 impendence

tron07
23-06-2008, 09:26 AM
look for scanspeak speakers... lot of 8 ohm ones... $$$....

Muzz
23-06-2008, 08:44 PM
man just run house hold speakers majority of them run 6 or 8 impendnce
why would you want to anyways wont make it any louder cause your resistance still the same as 4...
advice, get cheap speakers if thats why your after but if you really really want to do what your wanting to do, house hold speakers all the way, or SOME marine speakers are 8 impendence

I want to run 8 ohm speakers so i can bridge 2 outputs per speaker, and still have each channel getting a safe 4 ohm load.

Two channels per speaker, with each channel seeing the same load as before = twice as much power per speaker, lol....

Also, i never mentioned cheap speakers.

Muzz
23-06-2008, 08:47 PM
look for scanspeak speakers... lot of 8 ohm ones... $$$....

Cheers, will do:thumbsup:

ICACHA
23-06-2008, 09:16 PM
hope you have done the math as you might be confused as to what you want to do...

Muzz
23-06-2008, 10:04 PM
hope you have done the math as you might be confused as to what you want to do...

Hey man can you please elaborate for me??

The way i see it each channel recives 4 ohm load when bridged to a 8 ohm speaker correct?

And 2 channels per speaker pumping 52w max each channel @ 4 ohm load = 104w max per speaker, instead of 52w max.

Is there somthing im not getting? will an 8 ohm speaker getting 104w, not be significantly louder than a 4 ohm speaker getting 52w? :thumbsup::thumbdwn:

arverson
23-06-2008, 10:29 PM
get a amp mate. dont bother bridging the head unit channels.

also, learn the difference between max/peak power and rms/continuous power

Muzz
23-06-2008, 10:39 PM
get a amp mate. dont bother bridging the head unit channels.

also, learn the difference between max/peak power and rms/continuous power

Dont want an amp, not cus im cheap, i just want a headunit and a single pair of speakers as my soundsystem i have my reasons, none of which i feel the need to share.

Also, i understand the differances between watts rms (nominal power), to peak/max wattage fine thankyou!
Note the 52w "MAX" from my last post..

If headunit manafactures actually gave a "wrms" rating, believe me, id use it, they dont, all i know its 52w MAX per channel. Thanks for your concern....

arverson
23-06-2008, 10:42 PM
ok sir

Muzz
23-06-2008, 10:44 PM
My ONLY options for my situation is get a pair of regular 4 ohm car speakers and run em on a channel each.
Or get 8 ohm speakers and give em 2 channels each.
Amp is not an option for this car unfortuatly.

tron07
24-06-2008, 08:46 AM
bridging 2 channels, it becomes 1 channel... is that what you going to do?

4 ch amp bridge (to 2 ch) to power left (2 pair) and right (2 pair)? Your speaker response might be bad due to lack of damping factor, but you might not notice it. But then it will be +6db louder if thats what you are after.... double power +3db, double cone area +3db

ABANG
07-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Try Crescendo speakers. They have 8 ohms speakers, good quality and cheap to. And actually this speaker can be driven from 1 channel of the Head unit.

Go to www.ozbliss.com for more info or pm me

cheers

A.G.System
14-08-2008, 01:16 AM
What head unit?

Because most ive tested that say 52wx4 max usually sit around 24 - 30w MAX per channel.

You are doing more damage by under powering your speakers.

If you want to make your system louder buy cheap low rms speakers. They will be putting out full potential. But still sound crappy if not installed correctly.

dsp26
14-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Im wondering if anyone makes an 8 ohm, 6" car speaker, im hoping to bridge the fronts and rears of my hearunit, and the lowest each channel can go is 4 ohm.

Id searched all over the internet and came up with nothing.
Is there such a thing?

dude.. headunit outputs are NOT bridgeable. Amps have a specific circuit to allow bridging

tron07
14-08-2008, 08:46 AM
He is not bridging, but wiring 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers to make 4 ohm

A.G.System
14-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Some useful info for you.

What is a 8 ohm load, 4 ohm load?
&nbspThis is the resistance (impedance) presented by the speakers that is seen by the amplifier. This can also include any crossovers and circuits connected to the speakers. When the load decreases, the amplifier's output increases. There is less resistance to the current, and the speakers can draw more power from the amp. Drawing more power than the amplifier was designed for will damage the amp.
Every amplifier is designed to handle a certain load. For home amplifiers this number usually starts with 8 ohms. With car amplifiers it is usually 4 ohms. All amplifiers can handle a higher resistance (load), but they will produce less output. Most quality amplifiers can also handle a lower resistance. Most car amps can handle a 2 ohm load, while some can go as low as 1/2 ohms.

How do you bridge an amp?
Bridging an amp First, make sure that the amplifier you have is bridgable. If you try to bridge an amp that is not designed to be bridged, you can damage the amp. Basically, when you bridge an amp you use the + terminal from one channel and the - terminal from the other. The instructions that came with the amp should describe which terminals to use. If not, look for some indication next to the speaker terminals on the amp. Sometimes, there will be lines connecting the two terminals you should use to bridge the amp, as shown.

http://www.lalena.com/Audio/FAQ/Wiring/bridge.gif

What happens when you bridge an amp?
Theoretically, the output should be 4 times the power of a single channel on the amp. A 50Wx2 amp bridged would act as a 200Wx1 amp. Unfortunately, you only see about 2/3 to 3/4 of this power. This number is usually the same as the combined power of the 2 channels at half the load. Take the following example of a 2 channel car stereo amplifier:
Power Mode Resistance
50x2 stereo at 4 ohms
75x2 stereo at 2 ohms
150x1 bridged at 4 ohms

Unless stated otherwise, this amp would be unstable below 2 ohms stereo or 4 ohms mono bridged. Attempting to use an amplifier at an unstable load will damage the amp.

How do you run speakers in parallel? Parallel wiring
Wiring speakers in parallel is simple. Connect the + terminal on the amp to the + terminal on each speaker. Then do the same for the - terminals. An example of this is shown on the right. For two 4 ohm speakers, the total impedance would be 2 ohms. To find the total impedance of speakers in parallel, use the formula below.

http://www.lalena.com/Audio/FAQ/Wiring/parallelFormula.gif

http://www.lalena.com/Audio/FAQ/Wiring/parallel.gif