PDA

View Full Version : broken sub

Simmo2302
22-06-2008, 07:00 PM
a long time ago a had 2 x 1000W subs powered by a 1200W amp in a small mitsubishi colt. one sub stopped working and had touble with the amp so i put it away only to forget about it.

was recently cleaning out the shed when i found the gear again, now a bit older and a bit wiser ( i hope) i plan to have another crack at it.

have found the reason why the sub stopped working , one of the wires had fallen off the cone itself. (see pic) and is literally only holding on by a thread.

when holding the wire to the spot the sub starts to work again.

so was wondering is there anyway i can fix this. ie. solder wire back onto correct spot on the cone ?

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa304/simmo2302/DSCF2074-1.jpg

arverson
22-06-2008, 11:48 PM
answered your own question buddy. just resolder

tron07
23-06-2008, 09:25 AM
yup... a solder would work, but looking at the design, the it would probably leadslap. The wire hitting the cone at full exclusion.

Simmo2302
23-06-2008, 05:46 PM
yup... a solder would work, but looking at the design, the it would probably leadslap. The wire hitting the cone at full exclusion.

lead slap ? whats that (apart from the obvious) and is it a problem ?

tron07
23-06-2008, 06:01 PM
lead slap is when that wire hit the cone when the cone move in and out... producing a tick tick tick sound. cant do anything to get rid of it other then dun play that loud, cause that the design.

High excursion subwoofers require a lead wire system that doesn’t flop all over the place or break. We use the direct connect system (no terminals) because it works the best. With our direct connect system you get no annoying lead slap noise, no ripped or holes burnt in the spiders and no flimsy lead in wires coming out of the cone to break or short out and burn into. You get no cheap terminals to break off or come loose. You do get 12 gauge lead wire easily connected by wire nuts or crimp connectors. You can also twist and tape the connections if you’re in a hurry.

Simmo2302
23-06-2008, 09:48 PM
ahhh, thankyou, very clear.

with the poor design sub i have now would it be possible to tape them (the wires) so they are stiffer or restrain them out of the way somehow to avoid this lead slap and prevent any further breakages?

tron07
24-06-2008, 08:47 AM
ghetto modifying usually makes it worse.... just live with it