PDA

View Full Version : mounting amp

twing
23-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking to install a 2 channel amp under the passenger seat.
Is there away to secure the amp without drilling to chassis?
Is there a small amp that can be install on other place?
Just need a small amp that gives 50 RMS to power front split.

Not that comfy with drilling :(
Should I consider using the split without amp?
I've got Sony head unit.

yellows2k
23-06-2008, 03:48 PM
if u have carpet, then look at using a large sheet of velco, use the ones that come with adhesive tape on them

mars_panas
23-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Best way to mount an amp under the seats is to drill... maybe this will help you out with the drilling part

Amplifier mounting

1. Choose where you want to mount the amplifier. Choose an area with plenty of ventilation to prevent the amplifier from overheating. Potential mounting locations can vary by vehicle, but some of the most frequently used areas are in the trunk, on the back of the rear seat, under the front seats or attached to the subwoofer box.

Amplifier mounting2. Before drilling any holes, carefully inspect the area underneath the vehicle where the amplifier will be mounted to make sure it will not interfere with wires, brake lines, fuel lines, the fuel tank or any other objects that could be damaged.

3. Using the shortest screws possible, mount the amplifier as directed by the manufacturer.

Tip 1: To avoid drilling into your vehicle, "sandwich" a board slightly larger than the amplifier underneath the carpet where you want to mount the amplifier. Then put the amplifier over the board and drill in the screws to mount it. The board will provide a sturdy foundation and prevent you from drilling unnecessary holes into your vehicle

Tip 2: In vehicles without a trunk, mounting the amplifier to the back of the rear seat is an option. Check the seat movement and determine how the cables will connect to the amplifier before mounting the amplifier. Also ensure that the screws are short enough that the passengers will not "feel" the screws through the seat.

Tip 3: If you decide to mount the amplifier under a seat, check to make sure it has the proper height and depth between the floor and the seat. Also make sure that the amplifier will not interfere with regular seat movements.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/...d/lookLearn.do

twing
23-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks mars_panas. Make sure you include this url:
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/-13095/edOid/105510/rpem/ccd/lookLearn.do

mars_panas
23-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Google is IT supports best friend... :thumbsup:

twing
23-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Has anyone ever do the mounting without drilling?
Friend of mine told me to get a bigger amp so that it will be heavy enough to keep it still. Crazy..

yellows2k
23-06-2008, 04:25 PM
i guess velcro didnt go over very well. i use it for my car and have a jl audio e2150 stunk under teh passenger seat, no problems. but if u want to drill, go ahead.

tron07
23-06-2008, 06:03 PM
dont drill.... weld joints instead.

arverson
23-06-2008, 10:37 PM
if you dont want to drill into the chassis then try this:

1. remove the carpet under the seat then glue small mdf blocks on the chassis.

2. glue or drill a larger mdf board on top of those (screw goes thru the large board into the smaller support blocks)

3. carpet goes over. drill the amp into that board

4. i like to count

twing
24-06-2008, 02:08 PM
excellent idea.. +1.
Thanks

if you dont want to drill into the chassis then try this:

1. remove the carpet under the seat then glue small mdf blocks on the chassis.

2. glue or drill a larger mdf board on top of those (screw goes thru the large board into the smaller support blocks)

3. carpet goes over. drill the amp into that board

4. i like to count

beeza
24-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Velcro ftw!
I cant believe I didn't think of that....

yellows2k
24-06-2008, 03:00 PM
gluing boards of mdf is way too much work for me, self adhesive velcro is simple and easy

beeza
24-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Bloody Perfect if ya ask me!!