PDA

View Full Version : DIY Body Filler for the noobs

XP02ED
24-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

After doing this myself and learning from panel beaters i decided to share this to people who wants to do a DIY on cover bumps/holes or whateva depending on how DIY you are.

THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO REMOVE DOOR DINGS, POP THEM OUT.

Aim: Fill any gaps or shave stuff for the smick look
Required:
1.Body Filler ( usually comes with Hardner Tube which is red liquid )
2.Sanding paper ( Recommend 80 GRIT on area for PREP,120 to help sand and 300 for primer )
3.Sanding Block
4.Filler Card thing ( not sure the term ) although it looks like a Credit card. This allows you to spread out the body filler nice and smoothly
5.Cardboard
6.Long blade
7. Primer

Steps:

1. Prep the surface using 80 GRIT, the rougher it is the better. this will allow the body filler to stick. Make sure the surface is cleaned and prep well or u will end up with a bad job.

2. Basically you will need a hard surface to place the body filler, i use cardboard boxes, which you chuck some body filler in. You will then grab the hardner that comes with it and mix it according to the directions provided.
NOTE : the more harnder you use, the quicker it dries. This will also depend on the weather too, which i recommend not using alot of hardner as it will be way easier for you to spread it out and play with it so sanding is reduced. I suggest using the "filler card" to mix the 2 together till, it will look brownish or redish after mixed.

3. Apply the mixed filler onto the surface with the card filler until dry, in this case thing of it as of shaving door moulds which the whole area is covered and alot of filler is needed. I would say fill it acording to what surface you are doing. up and down or from left to right.
NOTE : A light hand when evening it out is best. Dont apply to much pressure.

4. As it slowly dries i recommend using a blade to cut of excess filler and even out the surface. The right time is when its abit hard and wet and easy to blade it of.
NOTE : The rougher and more filler being excess the more you sand and time you use to prep it.

5. Assuming you have done it correctly and everything is dried grab your sanding block and 120 GRIT sand paper( not wet) and sand it down with the block. the block is there to ensure its straight.
NOTE : Dont free hand sand flat surfaces as it wont be even, use the block! this is very important, if you free hand it wont be smooth and slick when painting and u can see it

6. Once sanded enough change your sanding paper to 300 to smooth it out and get rid of all the lines from previous grit, and go over it as many times untill you KNOW its smooth.
NOTE: dont be lazy on this part as painting it will show whats been done underneath.

7. Once finished sanding. clean the area ( dont water it ) this can make the filler moist and crack. Grab a spray paint of primer and primer it with a good 2 layers. either the whole part or area depending on what your doing.

Other comments :
Some pics to see how it can look like :

Applying the body filler

http://xposed.au.com/photos/resized/34/1211107271_IMG_0167.jpg

Slowly sanding it off :

http://xposed.au.com/photos/resized/34/1211107262_IMG_0160.jpg

Finished and primered to avoid cracking or see if any bumps appear etc :

http://xposed.au.com/photos/resized/34/1211107269_IMG_0165.jpg

How u like those apples :

http://xposed.au.com/photos/resized/34/1212585642_IMG_0208.JPG

roar
24-06-2008, 01:45 PM
+1 rep

good diy

btw: it is called an applicator

GSi_PSi
26-06-2008, 01:07 AM
so you shaved the side mouldings?? can this also be done for an integra? or are the holes to big to bog it up?

XP02ED
26-06-2008, 03:06 PM
so you shaved the side mouldings?? can this also be done for an integra? or are the holes to big to bog it up?

can be dont to an integra, and yes i did.

EGB18CT
26-06-2008, 03:19 PM
holy moly batman! ...waits for paint to peel/lift/crack in a few years... better to weld those sides in! ...please tell me you welded them in then fill?!..

XP02ED
26-06-2008, 03:46 PM
holy moly batman! ...waits for paint to peel/lift/crack in a few years... better to weld those sides in! ...please tell me you welded them in then fill?!..

yes i welded the holes in before filling, and FYI not all parts are metal and can be welded,
the guides just for an idea to people on what is needed to body fill the smallest gap. holes or what not. IE filling body kits

steve88
27-06-2008, 04:35 PM
isnt it a bit bad to bog up the door trims? i heard its better to weld them

also in terms of dings, i got actual crash hit on the side of my door. should i pop them out as much as i can with a ball/pin then bog it ?