PDA

View Full Version : Lower Tie Braces

CaeL
24-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey, what is everyone's experience when it comes to these, are they beneficial?

I mean, if you have sway bars, then a lower tie brace would render your rear one useless, would it not?

sorry for noob question!

mrwillz
24-06-2008, 02:14 PM
i've always thought as them being a more 'bling' addition

teh_mechanic
24-06-2008, 02:17 PM
they dont do much at all.if anything.
modern chassis are quite strong where these bars join between.
i have them on my car (got them for free) and i really couldnt feel any difference whatsoever

Chi
24-06-2008, 02:25 PM
lower Tie bars are intended for a different purpose to Anti sway bars.

Anti Sway bars reduce lift or or can decrease or increase understeer and over steer depending on how the bars are set up ( size , hollow etc )

Lower Tie bars are supposed designed to provide some strength to the subframe from being torn or contortioned.

But this is of course relating to the rear set up.

Front Tie bars like the h brace type have been known to help with the cars suspension rigidity.

For cars like teh dc2r and DC5 there is honestly no need for a rear lower tie bar as the subframe from factory is quite strong.

how ever cars like EG, EK civics or non type R dc2/4's would benefit from a Sub frame reinforcement brace like from ASR as the subframe is not as strong as the DC2R if they are upgrading to a larger rear sway bar as increase the stiffness of the anti sway bar can cause more stress to teh rear subframe and causing it to tear or bend.

beeza
24-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I mean, if you have sway bars, then a lower tie brace would render your rear one useless, would it not?

Yup.Don't need it with the sway but need a re-inforcement kit like ASR or beaks.
Just the tie bars alone on my car did stiffen the chassis up a fair bit,i.e stopped the twisting of the chassis but dosen't do anything for body roll like a swaybar.

Limbo
24-06-2008, 04:38 PM
They made a difference in my car when i first put them on, but they need to be used in combination with other things like swaybars & suspension to get the most out of them.

On front i have a 4 point tiebar & a ASR brace as a rear tiebar. They have made quite abit of difference.

beeza
24-06-2008, 07:57 PM
4 point tie bar = H Brace.Gonna get one soon.

JohnL
25-06-2008, 01:53 PM
they dont do much at all.if anything.
modern chassis are quite strong where these bars join between.
i have them on my car (got them for free) and i really couldnt feel any difference whatsoever

Too right (though must do something, no matter how infintesimal). Tower braces are a different story...

JohnL
25-06-2008, 01:58 PM
They made a difference in my car when i first put them on, but they need to be used in combination with other things like swaybars & suspension to get the most out of them.

I suspect any chassis bracing (that does anything worthwhile), tends to be more effective the stiffer the suspension set up is. This is not to imply that say tower braces are useless on a softly sprung set up...

On front i have a 4 point tiebar & a ASR brace as a rear tiebar. They have made quite abit of difference.

My bet is on the tower brace making the real difference...

beeza
25-06-2008, 02:23 PM
All braces do something.But how much depends on the car it is being used on and the other suspension components on the car.

Limbo
25-06-2008, 02:27 PM
JohnL
I put my lower braces in after i did the tower braces.

Did them top first and bottom second, cos i used a hoist to do the bottom ones (was abit lazy)

don't deny top work you feel really alot more (about the same for me cos i already had the top ones), but there are gains there to be had. I found they made the car less twitchy going into corners

But 2 point lower front to 4 point front, didn't really feel much diff.

fatboyz39
25-06-2008, 02:48 PM
JohnL
I put my lower braces in after i did the tower braces.

Did them top first and bottom second, cos i used a hoist to do the bottom ones (was abit lazy)

don't deny top work you feel really alot more (about the same for me cos i already had the top ones), but there are gains there to be had. I found they made the car less twitchy going into corners

But 2 point lower front to 4 point front, didn't really feel much diff.

have you tested this under extreme conditions? i.e race track?

fatboyz39
25-06-2008, 02:49 PM
The ASR is like a massive brace already? Tie bar is not needed if you have a ASR brace. Unless you want ADDED BLING.

LiKPiC
02-09-2008, 11:31 PM
yeh. asr brace acts like a rear tie bar too...

but when you're putting extreme forces of the chassis (ie. racing), then i'm sure the added reinforcements will be felt.

for everyday driving, i think rear tie bar is bling

with front tie bar...i installed mine at the same time i installed my front strut. Although i definitely felt a difference. I still am unsure whether it is the tiebar or the strutbar.